Zombie What is the next big trend?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by illmatic99, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Gronk Brady

Gronk Brady Well-Known Member

I didn’t think it was unrealistic to expect them to win at the same percentage they did with Nurkic last season... Especially with a full training camp and another year experience in playoffs

2. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Did you not take into consideration the other teams getting better and making moves and we didn't? Or that we caught other teams off guard adding Nurk and we hadn't been scouted properly yet? I can understand getting caught up in the Nurk fever though.

riverman, RR7 and RickyJoe like this.
  3. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Heck lets just go with robot players and throw away anything to do with Contracts and the CBA. Team with the best scientists and engineering wins.

riverman and blue9 like this.
  4. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    I have been thinking exactly this all year.

5. Gronk Brady

Gronk Brady Well-Known Member

I did account for those things... but those teams would have to incorporate new players while we would open the season with good chemistry was my assumption... combine that with the easiest schedule in NBA for first qtr of season... that’s where my expectations come from. I did have Nurk fever tho. Also, with me personally it’s not even about the win loss record... it’s more about how they play... and going down by 20 at some point in almost every game, even against shit teams, is unacceptable to me. I expect more as a fan.

Labinot41 likes this.
  6. GriLtCheeZ

GriLtCheeZ "Well, I'm not lookin' for trouble."

Gleaming the Cubicle
    If it ever is, I'll stop watching the NBA.

BonesJones likes this.
  7. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

I think the perception is that our move was made early by getting Nurk and after a full preseason we would hopefully even be better than we were with him last year. Combine that with all of our young studs having another year of growth and experience, and that adds up to equate most of the off season moves made by other teams.

Nurk is not what he was last year. Harkless has joined some Gleague it seems, and Stotts is not solidifying the lineup. Yeah that can be disappointing regardless of the predictions.

8. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Starting lineups with nobody shorter than 6'9. If PG goes to PHI, that could happen.

9. Destroyer of Worlds

Destroyer of Worlds Active Member

If I were trying to compete, I would field a team of a 6’8 to 6’11 players that are decently well rounded, can shoot and defend.

I then use my two monster PGs and SGs to post up their counterparts.

I invert my offense so that my Center, PF, and SF are all perimeter oriented, keeping in mind they aren’t the traditional players given those labels. Creating essentially a 4 out offense with a big guard as my post. Almost as we did with Wes. This forces players to rotate that typically aren’t used to doing it on the perimeter.

To give an example, here is a lineup that I have pulled out of my ass.

PG - Batum
    SG - Tatum
    SF - Draymomd
    PF - Covington
    C - Z Collins

Thoughts: not even close to ideal, but just thought of players that matched what I was looking for.

PG - Size, shooting, dribbling, defending, playmaking. Have to find a way to get Steph / Lillard / Westbrook / CP3 out of their comfort zone and in foul trouble. Also make things more difficult for them with a much bigger defender. Also force them to guard someone bigger than them, so they are forced to play in the post. Ideally, B. Simmons, LeBron, Giannis.

SG - Needs size, shooting, defending, scoring. Prevents opposing PG from being ‘hid’ on them, and creates more mismatches. Length to bother players like Harden, K Thompson. Secondary Playmaking or ballhandler needs to come from this position or SF. This is a position I’d love to have Giannis.

SF, PF - Interchangeable, as long as secondary ballhandler has been addressed. Solid defenders, shooters, rebounders. Do it all players. Can switch anything. Also have the ability to guard bigger players, possibly.

C - Has to be able to stretch the floor, rebound, defend, and be quite mobile to maintain 5 position defensive versatility. Also has to be able to take advantage of smaller players and hold their own vs someone like DMC, but not as important as one would think imo.

Steph
    Klay
    Durant
    Draymond
    Pachulia

Would be hard to keep Guards in the game if they give up layups in the post every time down the court.

illmatic99 and BonesJones like this.
  10. Destroyer of Worlds

Destroyer of Worlds Active Member

Beat me to it. Kudos!

11. kjironman1

I wrote a piece once about widening the floor 24 inches and lengthening the court 3-4 foot so they could move the 3 point line back. I think this would help a bit. As it stands now the corner three is tough to stay in bounds as it is. Then at the top you add 18 to 24 inches to the line. 12 at the corner.

riverman likes this.
  12. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

In which case, are we planning for Championship parades or lottery tanking, having Microsoft on our side? I'm torn.

The Clippers are obviously screwed, by the same token. But then, they are the Clippers.

kjironman1 likes this.
  13. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

I would support this. Would create more spacing and would hypothetically create bigger passing lanes and would make passing and ball movement a bigger strength. Would probably reintroduce the low-post as a big part of the offense with more spacing as well as a lower efficiency of 3pt shots.

With that being said, I don't think the 3pt line should go back that far. Maybe a foot maximum.

14. riverman

riverman Writing Team

15. Schilly

Schilly Well-Known Member

Trends can’t be built on anomalies. Look at how many 7’ European players were drafted trying to find the next Dirk. Or how many big center prospects to find the next Shaq. Now everyone is tryin match the Warriors it won’t work.

Haakzilla likes this.
  16. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Basketball will be like boxing...small league and tall league...featherweights and heavyweights...!!!!

17. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    Big PG's.

This is the reason why Saric is my #1 trade target.

riverman likes this.
  18. kjironman1

It's a foot in the corner and an extra 6 inches at the top so it stays in accordance to what they have now. I really think the advantages of widening the court and moving the three point line far outweigh the disadvantages.
    In that line of thinking another option was brought up. Totally different concept. Change the size of the ball and the game immediately changes also. Think about that one?????

19. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Don't think they'll ever do this. Would eat into the leg room for the high rollers who sit courtside. Those are pretty much the only real profitable seats (along with suites) in every arena.

20. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Huh? Saric is not a PG.