Politics What is your favorite shithole country?

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Haakzilla, Jan 11, 2018.

1. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

UncleCliffy'sDaddy We're all Bozos on this bus.

It’s never good news when the federal government steps in to drive the municipal law enforcement bus. Usually the first step towards a dictatorship......

2. Stevenson

Stevenson Old School

Writer
    My favorite shithole country is Mexico.

Travelled there so much and always loved it. Oaxaca. Palenque. Tulum. Mexico City. Zihuantanejo. Great food, great people. You have to be a bit more cautious where you go these days, but my wife was just down there for school for a month last summer and felt completely safe.

My best travel story ever happened there: Long story short, in my 20s my then-girlfriend and I hopped a lift down the Pacific coast for two days from a captain in the Mexican Navy on his Mexican naval destroyer full of naval cadets. She and I were given accommodations in in the captains quarters and ate with the officers (yes, she was a blond goddess!) We finally got off the ship via a dingy that took us up onto the beaches of Acapulco where the tourists were sunbathing. It was so James Bond. So illegal and so fun.

Viva Mexico!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    SlyPokerDog likes this.
  3. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Our Federal government has done it before, when local Leo's and politicians are corrupt it's either the Feds or the citizenry. Somebody, heavily armed, has to step up and step in. Used several times to counter bigotry and town bosses.

4. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

Licensed to Kill's Villians mansion was filmed in Acapulco.

We had bodyguards with Uzis in their messenger bags escoring us around there.

It's a Sunny Place for Shady People.

Stevenson likes this.
  5. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    My family is mostly from either England, Ireland or Scotland. Not sure which one or all of them.
    A little of me is from right here in the good old USA, at least for some odd number of thousands of years. Does that make me at least part native (1/16th)? Yes, it does.
    When I graduated from high school that made me officially a minority in South Carolina.

6. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    Lancaster, California

MARIS61 likes this.
  7. Lanny

That's not shit hole. I know a really nice family that lives there.

Fez Hammersticks likes this.
  8. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

Is the Czech republic a shithole country? I like it there. So cheap!

9. Lanny

I here there's a lot of theft and confidence games there. Otherwise, I have no idea.

10. Lanny

Peru is pretty screwed up.

I heard a story of about 15 tourists that visited a ruin because they were afraid of being robbed at gunpoint. About 20 bad guys with guns showed up and robbed them all.

I've also heard that there is so much counterfeit money circulating that if you aren't extremely careful, you'll wind up with useless paper.

11. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Residents angry at leadership as Baltimore sees 15 shot, 5 fatally, this weekend

By Frank Miles | Fox News

5 killed, 12 wounded in 8 separate shootings throughout Baltimore in single weekend

Homicides in Baltimore hit record high.

This weekend, amid a warm winter weather stretch for Baltimore, 15 people were shot and five of those victims died, leaving residents in shock about deadly gun crime and angry at the city’s leadership.

“We want a life plan,” a group of residents shouted Sunday as they held protest signs showing the city’s homicide counts for previous years. The phrase was a play on the much-touted crime plan that Baltimore Police Commissioner Michael Harrison unveiled last year as a blueprint to fight crime and reform the police department.

Harrison’s five-year crime-fighting plan includes the goals of responding calls for police within 10 minutes and increasing the number of police officers.

“We have lost too many, and if city hall doesn’t come to get us, and if the police commissioners don’t have a plan, what are we going to do? We are going to make a plan,” Tori Rose, rally organizer and city council candidate, said. “If not us, then who?”

Harrison said detectives have been working to identify suspects of the weekend shootings, and the department has redeployed officers and SWAT and K-9 units to the affected areas.

“It was rec centers that saved me and rec centers are going to save some of the kids because rec centers saved me. If it weren’t for the rec centers I’d probably be out there selling drugs, killing somebody or squeegeeing. The rec center saved me. The rec center will save some of the children,” he said.

Gov. Larry Hogan posted a link online to his plan to tackle violent crime in Baltimore, calling the "murders, shootings, and out-of-control violence" the city's "single most urgent issue."

"Another weekend of bloodshed in Baltimore — thoughts and prayers are not enough. We need action," Hogan tweeted Monday afternoon. "I urge lawmakers to work with us to finally address the violent crime in our streets."

Saturday’s shootings took place across the city.

Saturday marked the third time within the past month that at least eight individuals have been shot in a single day in Baltimore.

Saturday’s total number of victims surpassed that of Dec. 17, when eight people were shot, at least three of them fatally, and Dec. 22, which ended with nine people shot, at least one fatally.

Maryland’s largest city reached its most violent year ever on a per-capita basis in 2019.

The city closed 2019 with 348 homicides, its fifth year in a row with more than 300 slayings.

As of Monday morning, the numbers of fatal and non-fatal shootings in 2020 are lower compared with the previous year. The city has recorded 11 homicides and 21 non-fatal shootings so far.

[​IMG]
    Baltimore has been in the throes of a steep rise in violent crime since 2015 when the homicide rate spiked amid the city’s worst rioting in decades following the death of Freddie Gray in police custody.

Baltimore activist Kwame Rose said community-based violence has become normal in Baltimore and urged officials to look at the city’s increasing violence as a public health crisis resulting from a lack of access to medical treatment, healthy food and other standard resources for ordinary Americans.

“In certain communities where the residents look like Freddie Gray, it’s hard to say that they are not affected by violence,” Kwame Rose said. “You know, I’ve been to more funerals than graduations.”

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

12. Lanny

How is this related to the topic?