What it will take to get Stotts fired?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Bruno_Sabino, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

Highly unlikely, sorry my friend.

2. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Dont remember calling you dumb. I did tell you to shut up when Dame had possibly just torn his ACL and you were poking at people. You shouldn't be poking at people when something that happens, but I've moved on from it. I'd recommend that you do too.

All opinions are welcome on my channel. You dont pay enough attention to know. You're just trying to make up a narrative to talk shit all because I want to talk basketball instead of what Teddy from Toronto said in the Raptors game thread yesterday. Dont be like that. Be better.

3. BonesJones

I appreciate basketball conversations, not tactics to try to delegitimize anything I say because of what other fans say in a game thread. That's been done so many times. I'm happy to agree to disagree, the disagreement itself isnt what I get annoyed with.

4. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how you're aware of my attention level, but I have given you credit on your channel before even though that style is not my cup of tea. I do think there is value in what you do and I do think you market to a nice audience of Blazer fans.

I try to be better every day and encourage you to do the same. We're all Blazer fans at the end of the day!

TBpup and BonesJones like this.
  5. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

To be fair Bones, I do not reply to hardly any of your posts until you start quoting me. I do not go out of my way to delegitimize you, but I think sometimes you take my general posts as being directed at you. I promise you, if I want something to be directed at you, I will quote or tag you.

6. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

I'm very glad we had Lillard and others (CJ Neil Stotts) getting us out of the first round in 3 years of playoffs and a WCF. Of course I'd rather have seen us go to finals or win a title... but I dont agree with this notion that Stotts and the Blazers have completely failed. For 15 plus years we didnt win a playoff series. Franchises like the twolves and kings can't even make the playoffs in a decade. Im happy to watch a good blazers team year in and year out.

So I disagree that a majority of fans want to see a coaching change that could help or hurt as you say just to mix things up. Id probably argue most $ coming into the Blazers franchise is from fans based on not taking that type of risk.

Tince likes this.
  7. BonesJones

It's just directed at Stotts criticism, and obviously I'm one of the most vocal people in regards to Stotts.

Just wish people would talk basketball more instead of using worn out tactics repeatedly. I'm probably jaded from how much I hear the media do it while also being extremely insulting about it... I just like talking basketball, whether someone agrees or disagrees. That's why the "Other fans say this stuff about good coaches too!", "We made the WCF though so hes good", "We were ranked __ in defense in 201_ so he cant be bad", "Its all personnel theres nothing Stotts can do" annoys me so much. Theres many more it's just that type of stuff gets constantly said in response to legitimate basketball points to deflect things away from any sort of legitimate conversation.

@JDC is much higher on Stotts than me but he generally talks basketball instead of just repeating the examples I gave above so I respect his opinion! I love talking to him about the coaching on stream even though he disagrees!

Tince likes this.
  8. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

Before someone jumps on me saying that I'm suggesting that what I'm about to ask isn't the only two options (I agree), but I just want @WesleyMatthews opinion. Would you rather:

1) Blazers make the playoffs for 10 straight years, 1 WCF appearance, 2nd round appearances.
    2) Blazers miss the playoffs for 9 out of 10 years, but win the finals that one season.

9. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

Love the praise of @JDC and it's well deserved.

It's tough because at times I give my opinion on things, and some people (not saying you) demand I give stats to back up my opinion. Then I give stats on something else and I'm told numbers can be misleading. It's like you can't win either way.

Often, I try to apply someones theory they use on Stotts, CJ, Whiteside, etc on other teams. To me, that seems fair, but that usually is met with the most resistence.

BonesJones likes this.
  10. BonesJones

I feel like if Stotts wanted to improve, he could be a very good coach and my tune would be different. But it seems like he thinks that his way is automatically best no matter the situation. Hes too stubborn and not versatile enough, IMO.

Always said he'd be a great coach for a rebuilding team, and that hes a solid regular season coach who struggles in the playoffs, but I want to contend and assuming we dont get absolutely loaded with talent, I think we need a top 5 coach.

I get why people like him though, even though I disagree with it.

kjironman1 and TBpup like this.
  11. BonesJones

Did I ever demand stats in a coaching discussion? Thats an honest question, I dont remember haha. Some stats are subjective, especially if you're trying to use them to evaluate coaches. If I ask for stats then that's different, the situation I'm talking about is when I'm questioning our defense in this years playoffs and I'll hear about what we were ranked 2 or 3 years ago.

12. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

I think that part is right. Probably something you could say about any team. I think it's probably easier for us to land a top 5 talented coach than a top 5 talented roster.

13. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

Tough to argue against a chip.

But nothing is guaranteed.... I would say I believe contiuened sustained success over a long period is better than one elite year surrounded by futility.

I'd rather see the Blazers as a perennial HCA team with a 5% chance of a title over 10 years

Than a team with 9 lottery appearances and an 8% chance of a title in one season. If you only care about titles though you would prefer the second.

Sure I really hope to see a title some day.

But I'll root and appreciate teams even without one.

I like seeing Dame sticking in Portland even if its less likely he wins a title. Compared to Durant or even LeBron that have to jump ship to new franchises or form super teams.

That Dallas title Dirk got is worth more than any title LeBron will ever have.

Its about the journey, not the destination.

14. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

I can't say that I recall you specifically demanding anything of me. Maybe something about defense, but typically you want me to break down video and show what we ran well vs not well. If I had more time and/or still worked for Synergy Sports, I would probably love to do that exercise with you, but I just don't have it in me!

I can't speak for others, but when I reference past years stats, it's to bring in a larger sample size. I think we both agree that 1 games stats (which some people use, not you) are damn near meaningless. I think making the case that someone who could coach a team to a top 5 defense (not saying Stotts has) does not forget how to coach defense over a two year span. So my point is, that the roster change is probably far more likely the reason for the drop/rise than the coach. I know we don't totally see eye to eye on that, but I think that is a valid argument: When "X" stays the same, but "Y" is different, I'm more apt to blame "Y" for the changes in the outcome.

TBpup likes this.
  15. BonesJones

Agreed. Part of it is I hold him to a higher standard than most but that goes toward the organizational mindset that I created a thread about.

Olshey needs to step up too. We'll see what he does this offseason.

TBpup and Buffalo Custard like this.
  16. BonesJones

My whole thing is if someone verbally disagrees with a basketball criticsm of mine in regards to Stotts, I want them to address my point. So often I get people acting like none of my criticisms are legit, media insulting me for them, but then they dont even address my actual criticism, they just respond with broad talking points that arent even relevant.

That's why the whole thing about bringing up fans venting in another forum was annoying. It was like it was done to make it seem like "all fans do it even if they have a good coach, so Stotts criticism is is illegitimate and ridiculous". Would rather have people outright say the Stotts criticsm is ridiculous and then provide basketball reasoning that's relevant to Stotts. The main reason I even post here is to talk basketball.

17. Buffalo Custard

Buffalo Custard Well-Known Member

Is it just me, or does sound a lot like Nate?

BonesJones likes this.
  18. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Will there be any exit interviews this year?

19. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Nobody had time to script the responses to the scripted questions.

TBpup and Buffalo Custard like this.
  20. Charcoal Filtered

Charcoal Filtered Writing Team

The answer to this and if CJ will ever be traded.is simple.

What does Dame want? He knows basketball and the team better than any of us.