What it will take to get Stotts fired?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Bruno_Sabino, Aug 22, 2020.

1. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I think Nurk is pretty close to that when healthy and in game shape...we really need Hood or Ariza to take the defensive assignments away from CJ or Dame so they have fresh legs on offense
    At full strength we're so much deeper than we are now in the bubble or even throughout this regular season

2. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

Stotts doesn't have a 4 time MVP, let alone a player who has won MVP once. Nor has he had a 2nd all-star to surround Lillard with in 5 years.

Please make a list of 6'1" players who were their teams best player, had no current all-stars for teammates, and won a championship that year. It just doesn't happen, for a reason.

Darkwebs and riverman like this.
  3. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

I think you just made my point for you. You recognize that Ty Lue isn't a great coach, yet he still won a championship. Why? Because it's not the coaches that win the championship, it's the players!

riverman likes this.
  4. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

Almost zero chance.

riverman likes this.
  5. damianlillard

damianlillard Well-Known Member

Yeah Damian is literally a MVP candidate type player. Nurkic when in game shape he’s an all star candidate. CJ has never been an all star candidate, maybe if he had his own team. This is why we need to trade CJ. He only play well when Damian is having an off night. He doesn’t play defense well at all. This is why I am in favor of trading CJ for someone like Harris who can play the 4 next to Nurkic. We need a legit floor spacer next to Nurk. Harris also play decent defense while Trent would step into a starter at SG and give us a tough 3D type guy at that spot. A starting lineup of Damian, Trent, Hood/Ariza, Harris, and Nurkic is legitimately dangerous with a bench of Hood/Ariza, Collins, and other through draft and FA

riverman likes this.
  6. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

We need multiple all-stars around Dame, not all-star candidates. I'll bet anyone CJ nor Nurk will ever make an all-star team in their career. I'm not saying they're bad players, but they're not all-star players. They'll be in the 30-50 range most years.

Buffalo Custard likes this.
  7. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Brett Brown - soon to be available!

TorturedBlazerFan and Tince like this.
  8. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

If he can't get out of the East with 2 All-Stars and another top 50 player, I can only imagine the difference he'd make with 1 all-star in a much more difficult West.

9. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I agree with that. I think the Clyde era Blazers were able to nearly win a title with one legit superstar and a bunch of really good supporting players. The Blazers seem to be aiming for that model again. It could work, if CJ and Nurk are both able to add to their games.

riverman likes this.
  10. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

that team was filled with two-way players. They didn't have any lock-down defenders except for Buck Williams who was great. But the other starters could all play decent defense, even Duckworth, and they were physical. And they had guys like Cliff Robinson, Wayne Cooper, Drazen Petrovich, Danny Young, and Danny Ainge coming off the bench

CJ would not have started for that team. He'd been more like a 6th or 7th or 8th man

I'd also say "at full strength" seems a little like a mirage. It's really rare for any team to be at full strength. Portland sure has problems being that way since 2014-15. Some rotation player always seems to be out or hobbling or playing injured. Nature of the beast

and the Hood we saw for 20 games this season might not ever show up again after that ruptured Achilles. I'd think Ariza will be back, assuming there is a season, but if the cap drops drastically, as many are predicting, Portland might not want to pay him the full guarantee

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  11. wizenheimer

there's zero chance if Olshey never takes a risk

Portland had a chance for a much better 2nd banana when PG13 was being shopped. They reportedly offered all 3 drafts picks in 2017, and that was implicitly confirmed by Olshey. But he also implicitly said CJ was untouchable in that trade....which was fucking nuts. I actually saw him say something like "why would we trade CJ for Paul George when we want CJ to play with Paul George"....oh boy

so that likely means it was probably an offer like Harkless, Meyers, and 3 non-lottery picks for George. If so, basically Olshey wasn't serious

Tince likes this.
  12. damianlillard

damianlillard Well-Known Member

I believe Crabbe was also offered in that deal

13. wizenheimer

14. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

You're acting like it.

15. BonesJones

Me: Look at what Stotts is setting up offensively in this series
    You: BUT players who play for other teams who used to play for Stotts arent great so...

You want to deflect away what's happening on the court in favor of broad, subjective, irrelevant talking points.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  16. BonesJones

Downplaying how good Dame is to defend Stotts? Haha.

17. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

At this point I don't know why people defend Terry.

If you stuck prime Michael Jordan on this team with our shit cast and Terry, we would make the playoffs every year. Would we win a title? Nope.

Buffalo Custard and BonesJones like this.
  18. BonesJones

Uh, just because you say it happened doesnt mean it did. I've been looking for certain actions all series long. They're not there.

19. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Really?

You gave an opinion about a post and so did I. Nothing more.

upload_2020-8-23_21-13-1.png

riverman likes this.
  20. brooklynballer

brooklynballer Well-Known Member

I 100% disagree. Yes LeBron was a stud that year but an argument could me made that Lillard is playing just as well this year and certainly has been in the MVP discussion. Kyrie, though an all star at the time, has proven to be maybe slightly more effective on the offensive end than CJ this year, but with the same limitations on defense. And don’t get me started on K-Love - if he’s so good why does nobody want him on the Blazers? Empty stats. I actually think Nurk right now might be a better player than KLove during the championship season. So the talent is comparable. The rest of The Cavs roster are a bunch of role players much like what the Blazers have currently. Lue may not be the best coach in the world but he maximized the talents of the players on that roster. Has Stotts EVER done that?

Further to my point, why was David Blatt fired that same season, if only talent matters? Cuz he wasn’t getting it done. Period.