What kind of offense will Billups run?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by MickZagger, Jul 28, 2021.

1. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    Hope fully it’s vastly different than the roll the ball out there and jack up as many 3’s as you can scheme that Stotts ran.

I hope it’s a system predicated on more ball movement and player movement. Running a lot of stuff through Nurk to free up the guards.

Tyrant of Ants likes this.
  2. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

I hope he designs it to play to the strengths of his team rather than forcing a system upon them. I do want more structure, however.

No idea what he'll do because no one seemed interested in asking him that at the PC but some insight into what he saw with LA ( i had posted these prior to the hire)

TBpup likes this.
  3. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

I'm sure it will. But Nurk has to take the next step as a finisher. Stotts used Nurk as a facilitator. It worked. But it will work even better if he becomes the Beast again as a low post scorer. Billups said as much.

TBpup likes this.
  4. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

Yup.

Nurk needs to become more of a pressure point for the defense. Better finisher, more reliable short roll playmaker, and able to at least make teams pay for going small in the post(i don't think posting him up versus a like sized guy is ever going to be and effective usage for him or the team)

Get some wings that can shoot and finish to keep the defense honest when we go to split action stuff. Hope Nas can prove to be one of these guys.

Some more wings that can dribble and another guard that can put pressure on the paint would be nice as well. I'd take a shot at Bledsoe personally. DJJ plus stuff for instance.

Would really open up the playbook for us and allow us to get Dame off the ball more and in a wider variety of ways.

5. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

If you listen to him talk that’s exactly the type of offense he describes. Ball movement, player movement, getting Nurk more involved

6. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

It's going to be a more balanced and dynamic offense. Plenty of ball and player movement to keep opponents honest and to get open shots. We are going to see more attacking the paint. More playing through Nurk and involving him in offense more. It's going to be potent.

The days of jacking up threes and relying mostly on hero ball are over.

We are going to see a variety of actual plays that will force opponents to make adjustments.

The Blazers have been far to predictable. Opponents have known what exactly to expect. Not any more.

Hoopguru likes this.
  7. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Going to be an adjustment for Dame too.

Chris Craig likes this.
  8. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

And definitely CJ if he’s still here

Hoopguru likes this.
  9. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

I think we'll see all of that but when Chauncey was being asked about the offense he said a lot of what you're saying but then added that we'd still be seeing Dame do his thing on certain plays. So we will still have some iso hero ball from Dame... it just won't be our primary offense.

Chris Craig likes this.
  10. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Exactly. Dame is going to Dame. CJ too. But we will see CJ passing more out of those 3 on 1s in the paint. We will see other players taking on bigger roles. There is going to be accountability.

Hoopguru and blazerkor like this.
  11. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    "Run"....that would be a great way to play to the strengths of Powell, RoCo, DJJ, Ant, Little...and Simmons. :bgrin:

RickyJoe likes this.
  12. Mr. Robot

Mr. Robot Well-Known Member

• nurk all-star 2022 (or at least all-star level player)
    • all-nba defensive team

you heard it here first

RickyJoe, tester551 and Chris Craig like this.