What Makes You A Basketball Expert

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by THE HCP, Nov 17, 2019.

1. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Good point, is this the reason things get so heated on here you think? This is the battle ground where some choose to prove their knowledge? So much of the, "I'm right and you're wrong!"?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  2. THE HCP

I'm with you, I think WATCHING the game instead of just reading about it is huge. I'm also of the mind that the eye test outweighs the stats frequently.

3. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

I think the odds would be very slim, but I guess I've never given it any thought because I'm not sure it matters. Do you disagree that someone who watches only one team would be at a disadvantage in evaluating how the Blazer roster compares to the rest of the league?

Who are your top 5 most knowledgable posters?

4. THE HCP

Coach Nate had one of his college coaches on his staff for a couple seasons and Coach cheeks had a childhood friend. Man, they lucked into those jobs for sure.

5. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    I think people, all have different experiences, some are naturally gifted at certain things, and people all learn differently too. Practicing, studying, playing, experience, camps and the like can all help. Some people are just naturally really intelligent at certain things.

Its a little like being a parent, each kid is different, each kids needs to be rewarded, or disciplined in different ways for it to be effective.

Some NBA players are there because their great athletes even if they couldnt throw a basketball into a basket from more then like 5 feet. Some guys are able to stay in the NBA because their crafty, and smart and they’re just thinking basketball on a different level.

So I guess my point is there are a lot of ways to gain basketball knowledge and some will be more effective for an individual than others.

Now the thing is, how do we judge where a player or coach or a fan is at in regards to their BBIQ, and that can be tricky, no doubt about that.

hoopsjock, THE HCP and Tince like this.
  6. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    I'm not sure. I get in arguments on here but I've never once thought that I needed to prove something on here so I'm probably not the best to answer that question.

7. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

it's a forum of almost all guys talking about sports...and one poster's wife. I question if guys actually mature to the point of being adult. I haven't and I'm in the middle of my sixth decade. Sometimes people confuse me with being adult, but that's usually when I'm quiet from being tired from not sleeping well, and that's usually from having woken up in the middle of the night having to piss like a racehorse. That's because in the middle of your 6th decade you don't have an adult bladder anymore. You younger guys will know what I'm talking about sooner or later

8. THE HCP

See this isn't what I was going for. I think that depends on HOW you judge basketball IQ. Thats what I was trying to get across. Some guy who knows the cap back and fourth but never watches a game, does he know more? Or somebody who knows every players efficiency rating, but never watches anybody but the Blazers?

9. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    Stats aren't everything but it's nice when they back up what you think by the eye test.

If they counter what your eyes are telling you then maybe you can look into why the stats don't match.

The problem is you can use certain stats to prove or disprove a point but it doesn't tell the whole story all the time.

10. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Thanks, but Id never do such a thing!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  11. BonesJones

I do disagree. It takes consistently watching a team game in and game out to get a good feel of their sets, the results of specific sets, specific reasons why those sets work and fail, how their defensive rotations are in general and in specific situations, how certain details like this may affect a players overall confidence and performance, etc... That's just a few of many details that are hard to pick up on unless you constantly watch a team.

12. BonesJones

Basically, context matters (think Westbrook).

hoopsjock likes this.
  13. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Most people are here to complete their community service or have just struck out completely on dating apps

14. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    For a player I tend to judge basketball IQ like this.
    1. Do they appear to be in the right place on offense. Making the right reads, cuts, do they bring the ball down on a rebound when they should be going up on a rebound, things like that.

2. Defensively sort of similar do they know the opponent. Do they take smart risks, do they commit bad fouls, do they lose sight of their man while ball watching, do they play angles well. Do they rotate well.

Obviously no player gets it right all the time.

Chris Craig likes this.
  15. THE HCP

No doubt using your eyes and stats would be the best way to break the game down. I just don't have the time to study. Just like in school.

16. THE HCP

I believe there are posters on here with WAAAAAAY more basketball IQ than a lot NBA players! I have had many guys tell me they don't even watch NBA games.

17. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    For a coach:
    I look at it like this.

What do the sets look like, how often are they getting GOOD shots. Are they making smart adjustments to what the other teams are trying to do. Are they putting their players in a place they can succeed (does the talent and scheme match). Are they flexible with trying new things when their system isnt working on a given night.

BonesJones likes this.
  18. BonesJones

I appreciate the compliment!

19. riverman

riverman Writing Team

We lost a lot of talent around here...where's Schilly?

THE HCP and TorturedBlazerFan like this.
  20. BonesJones

Also: rotations. Are they playing the right guys? What's their relationship like with players? Do they give them enough freedom to be the best versions of themselves while still holding them accountable? Are they able to exploit certain mismatches efficiently through their offensive structure?