What now? Ownership, etc

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by illmatic99, Oct 15, 2018.

1. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

Could Bert Klode and Merritt Paulson buy into the team?

2. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Poor kid. How will he ever survive.......

3. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

Have you been to Seattle? I hate going there.

hoopsjock and TorturedBlazerFan like this.
  4. JoshuaHall

JoshuaHall Well-Known Member

First of all, you're operating under the premise that there are more suitors who want to move the team for some reason. Being that I work with multiple billionaire and multi-millionaire investors, they want to make as few changes as possible to the business model, especially to an already profitable asset. Management is likely to get wiped out, even then, retaining some for the transition period is typically likely.

Secondly, you're also operating under the false premise that a billionaire would look at a basketball team that is:

A) Profitable
    B) Has a suitable and quality arena
    C) Has a loyal fan base that is constantly selling out the arena/near selling out
    D) In a growing market

And say

YUP! I want to buy that team and move them to an untested marketplace - and contrary to the b.s. you've been listening to, an owner can't just up and move the team. And even if they did accept all of the above and still want to move... The league and owners have to approve which is doubtful, at best, and there is absolutely NO assurances relocation would be approved, which is a significant risk on a billion dollar asset to anyone. Hell, they just forced a billionaire to sell his team. Do you think that didn't go unnoticed?

Whoever is buying this team knows that the chance of the team being moved EVEN IF THEY WANT IT MOVED, is slim at best.

And yes, they want control over the franchise, but that is one thing they virtually have no control over, no matter what, especially given the ruckus after Seattle/OKC.

I'd love if they went to Vegas for personal gain. I'm there frequently, but the odds of any big time investor buying the team with the goal of moving it, will be severely disappointed, IMO - and if they happen to buy it, get rejected for relocation, then what?

Yeah, that's a BIG what for a billion dollar asset they just purposed solely for relocation purposes - which they can't unilaterally decide, once again.

Orion Bailey, dviss1, Shaboid and 4 others like this.
  5. JoshuaHall

JoshuaHall Well-Known Member

So what happens when some massive group buys the team in hopes of moving them, then there relocation bid is rejected by the NBA because "there are other teams that should be moved first"? It's not like they can just purchase the team and move them. There are MASSIVE roadblocks that most investors and investment groups would avoid like the plague; specifically, no matter what, they are NOT in control of the location of the franchise. They will answer to the NBA and other owners.

I'd think Vegas is more likely to buy a team like NO or Memphis, as it is much more justifiable to remove them from those cities, and an easier path to doing so as well.

The idea of purchasing a team, specifically Portland, with the hopes of moving them, is an incredibly idiotic proposition for any investor.

dviss1, rotary111, hoopsjock and 2 others like this.
  6. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

I don't know, many fans including ones in here think the blazers are less than mediocre and always will be, you know who you are, you would constantly bitch if the team wasn't in the WCF every year. There would never be a good enough GM, even when Paul was hiring them.
    If this franchise takes a nose dive for a few years, there would be so much negativity amongst band wagon fans, just like during jail blazer days...bitch bitch bitch.
    I would think Kolde would be part of the succession plan.

BonesJones likes this.
  7. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

They pay off the relocation committee. Oh, I mean.....they provide incentives to NBA owners for additional revenue over time.

8. RipCityDSCPL

RipCityDSCPL Could be worse, at least it's not Lonzo.

UPDATE: At 5:30 today, Quick will be on Primetime with Isaac and Suke. @yuyuza1, @TorturedBlazerFan and anyone else interested.

9. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    thanks

10. Stevenson

Stevenson Old School

Writer
    This.

Proof? Steve Balmer owns the Clippers and they are not moving to Seattle.

e_blazer likes this.
  11. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    You're working under the false premise that you think you know what a perspective buyer wants when you don't, investors make investments for different reasons. Most investors aren't going to sign on to a contract that stipulates they "CANT" move the franchise they're buying. I'm not assuming that a buyer would want to move the team, or buy it expecting to want out of Portland. I'm assuming that most investors would want control of their property, because yeah right now the situation would look good, but things can move quickly and an investor would not want to feel stuck in a bad situation if it turns bad. Also don't act like I'm listening to a bunch of 'anything' because you don't know what I do or don't listen too. I never once implied I thought they'd move, or would be bought by a group that wants to move. All your talk of my assumptions, and you made a lot of your own.

Hoopguru likes this.
  12. GriLtCheeZ

GriLtCheeZ "Well, I'm not lookin' for trouble."

Gleaming the Cubicle
    Can't wait till Merritt Paulson gets some of his family friends (illuminati) to join together to buy the blazers.

13. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Grandpa Rothchild!

14. bodyman5000 and 1

bodyman5000 and 1 Lions, Tigers, Me, Bears

15. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Lebron just mugged Aminu. No call Wtf

16. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Lebron owns the Blazers.

17. bodyman5000 and 1

bodyman5000 and 1 Lions, Tigers, Me, Bears

Ooooh. Move them to Vegas and keep playing for LA. Short drive.

18. BigGameDamian

https://www.blazersedge.com/platfor...il-blazers-trades-neil-olshey-paul-allen-2018

Neil Olshey: Blazers Can Still Make Trades With Interim Ownership

Olshey believes the powers involved will work together on deals after Paul Allen’s passing.

Olshey was asked about his ability to execute player transactions, something that he had been able to do with an email to Allen, who by then would have known the particulars after studying the scouting and analytics, as he loved to do. Now, with ownership uncertain, can Olshey still get a trade approved?

“There are enough advocates for the Trail Blazers, of wanting to see us do well, that it would get done, and there would be even more fluidity because of wanting to do things on behalf of Paul,” Olshey said.

Darkwebs likes this.
  19. BigGameDamian

https://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/...s_sister_jody_named_executor_of_his_esta.html

Paul Allen's sister, Jody, named executor of his estate

In accepting these important responsibilities, Jody Allen released the following statement:

"I have been given the great responsibility to steward Paul's wealth in service of his vision for the future. I will do all that I can to ensure that Paul's vision is realized, not just for years, but for generations.

Paul sought solutions to some of the world's toughest problems, to celebrate the range of human expression, and to implement programs that effect positive global and local outcomes.

While the loss of Paul is overwhelming, I am dedicated to preserving and implementing Paul's vision. Paul made the world a better place. Through Paul's generosity, and with the help and support of Paul's friends, partners and colleagues, the future will be even better. Paul's light shall continue to shine."

GoBlazersGo and Chris Craig like this.
  20. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    My sincere apologies that I didn't purchase enough tickets to win the $1.6B so I could purchase the Blazers and keep them here in Portland FOR SURE. Now I might have to partner up with someone because the puny Powerball is only $750M.