What should be done with Anfernee?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Rastapopoulos, Jan 19, 2021.

1. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

doesn't look like he spent much time at PG:

upload_2021-1-20_15-23-52.png

2. wizenheimer

speaking of Blazer busts, who you got?

upload_2021-1-20_15-27-2.png

3. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Now that I think back, I think it was in summer league when they tried him at point.

Buffalo Custard likes this.
  4. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Hopefully let him build some trade value by the deadline...as it is....we'd be selling really low to trade him now

PCmor7 likes this.
  5. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    He's good at jumping

Minstrel likes this.
  6. JoshuaHall

JoshuaHall Well-Known Member

7. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I’ve got a bobble head of Rasheed. Does that count as a bust?

8. BoomChakaLaka

BoomChakaLaka Well-Known Member

Designer / Artist
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico (formerly PDX)
    Iso is Melo’s downfall. My rationale is that he is tempted more while playing on the second unit. Can he run hard, rebound, take a couple solid ISO’s while as a starter? Might this spread the court more for our guards? Then after 4-6 minutes, he’s first to sit and you bring in RoCo and perhaps Hood to replace Trent (unless he’s on a tear) - this option is worth a test drive in my opinion. As it stands, if Dame is your only real scoring threat...they double-team him and we fall behind. Melo comes in off the bench thinking he’s gotta get us caught up all by himself. So inserting Melo as the starter (for a short burn) then RoCo enters to apply D, perhaps we won’t fall behind by 20 points every game? An idea

riverman and blazerkor like this.
  9. wizenheimer

do you whistle it for a 'T' when is stares at you? Ronnie Garetson for the win!

e_blazer likes this.
  10. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    Wingfield showed much more in his short time in Portland than Woods ever did. Qyntel was the better Summer League player though.

11. beast crnjo

beast crnjo Well-Known Member

Give him a new 4 year 40 million dollar contract.

12. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

sounds like a bargain tbh

PDXFonz likes this.
  13. OneSport3

OneSport3 The Knowledge Hoarder

Receipt

14. AmirIcon

AmirIcon Well-Known Member

Writer, Director, Actor
    He makes CJ for Simmons make more sense than ever.

PDXFonz, UKRAINEFAN, TBpup and 3 others like this.
  15. AldoTrapani

AldoTrapani Well-Known Member

Damn this dude might be a little spendy come this summer. We might have a Gary Trent situation where we have no choice to trade him this deadline..

Are we really going to pay a lot of money to 4 guards under 6’4? (Dame, Cj, Powell, Ant)

Some crazy team might give Ant 80M for 4 years if they feel he could be their starting guard.

Wish we locked him in for cheap

16. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

trade cj. Keep ant. Helps the ling term cap for portland and he looks like he can be just as good and possible a better overall defender with his longer arms.

tester551 likes this.
  17. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

awesome story .

https://theathletic.com/2918414/202...simons-showing-hes-more-than-a-cereal-killer/

It was after one particularly nondescript performance in his second season that Simons was summoned by his trainer, Phil Beckner, for an evening workout. The night before, Simons was given extended minutes by then-coach Terry Stotts, which at the time was a rare opportunity.

Simons did little to nothing with his playing time, so when the two arrived at the Blazers’ practice facility for an evening session, Beckner had a purpose. He planned to work Simons’ mind as much as putting him through skills and drills.

“He was playing only a little bit, but it wasn’t because of talent or ability,” Beckner said. “It was his mindset. He wasn’t prepared, and he wasn’t going out there to kick somebody’s ass.”

Beckner is the former college assistant coach of Blazers All-Star Damian Lillard. He has since become Lillard’s full-time trainer. He has helped mold Lillard’s killer mentality, and he has done it with tough love — pushing, prodding and challenging Lillard as he has become one of the NBA’s best players.

Beckner was planning on using some of that same tough love as he and Simons took a seat on the metal benches on the sidelines of the Blazers’ practice court. He had cut some clips from the game the night before, when Simons was ordinary, and he figured the two would watch them and then work out.

But first, he intended to light a fire under Simons. He didn’t hold back.

He told him Stotts gave him his chance, and he wasn’t ready. He was normal. Normal, Beckner told Simons, was not good enough. He told him to look at Lillard and CJ McCollum, and how they come to practice to embarrass the man in front of them. You are coming to practice just to survive. They enter the game to attack. You enter just to be normal.

“I gave him this whole motivational speech, some real Vince Lombardi stuff,” Beckner said. “I’m upset. I’m yelling at him that a switch has to flip. You have to show me how much you want this! You have to show Stotts how much you want this! You have to show the world how much you want this!”

Simons sat and looked at Beckner.

“I’ve got you,” Beckner remembers him saying.

“And I was like, ‘No, Ant. This is where the rubber meets the road. This is where you put a stake in the ground. It’s time, Ant. It’s frickin’ time,'” Beckner said.

Said Simons: “He was trying to pump me up. Trying to give me confidence.”

It was 15 minutes of fire and brimstone, and in Beckner’s mind it was probably some of his best stuff. He figured this would be the moment that sparked Simons. This would be the moment when Simons started seeing himself as an assassin like Lillard and McCollum.

Beckner asked Simons if he was ready to watch the video clips from the night before.

“Most guys would have been, ‘Let’s fucking go! I don’t need the clips; let’s work,” Beckner said.

Simons? He had a question.

“He looks at me and says, ‘Can we watch (the video clips) in there?” Beckner said.

Simons was pointing to the Blazers’ dining room. Beckner was confused. What? Why?

“I want to eat some cereal real quick,” Simons said.

Beckner lost his mind.

“I remember it like it was yesterday,” Beckner said. “My jaw dropped. My initial thought was this was never going to work. I was just … stunned. ‘Can I go eat cereal?’ Not steak. Not potatoes. Cereal. CEREAL!”

He turned his back and started walking away. Then whipped back around.

“ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME!?” Beckner roared. “I just told you what Dame and CJ do — they rip out throats — and you want to go eat CEREAL!”

Simons sat silent. Beckner continued to roar.

“JESUS FUCKING CHR … I can’t fucking do this!” Beckner said. “I don’t care how much you pay me, I’m not going to keep training you. I can’t do it.”

He threw up his hands and again turned his back.

“He was pretty upset I said that,” Simons recalled on Wednesday. “He walked away. He threatened to not work me out. Well, I didn’t know. I was just hungry and innocent. I can’t work out if I don’t eat.”

Beckner never quit on Simons. And this summer, Simons finally navigated that corner Beckner was hoping he would turn two years ago. He knew a change in Simons had taken place before the summer started.

“Usually, he would train with me here and there,” Beckner said. “And at the start of the summer he wanted to know where I was going to be. I told him either Phoenix or Portland. So I asked him where he was going to be. His answer: ‘Wherever you are at.”’

Lillard said that no matter where he went to work out with Beckner this summer — Phoenix, Utah, Portland, Las Vegas — there Simons would be.

It was quite the change from the first three years of Simons’ career training with Beckner.

“At first, it was Phil trying to get it out of him,” Lillard said of the commitment to work. “And then this summer I noticed Ant following him everywhere, getting his work in. It didn’t have to be convenient for him, he was seeking it out.”

Almost too much, Beckner said.

Beckner said he took a vacation to Las Vegas this summer, but before he could relax, Simons was on his scent.

“That motherfucker followed me there and made me work him out in Vegas,” Beckner said. “It even got to the point where it was, ‘No, no, no … Saturday is my day off. You can work out with one of my assistants.’ And you know what? He got up at eight in the morning and worked out with one of my assistants. He went from ‘Can I get some cereal?’ to I am following you to Las Vegas and making you work me out.”

18. Shaboid

Shaboid Well-Known Member

Dame and CJ are serial assassins and Ant is a cereal assassin.

19. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    Boy, this thread (especially some posts in particular) aged really really well.

20. OneSport3

OneSport3 The Knowledge Hoarder

Yeah, posts and threads created by the OP tend to age like 2 Buck Chuck instead of a fine French Bordeaux.

Scalma likes this.