What should be done with Anfernee?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Rastapopoulos, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I agree. I was being generous. It will probably around $20 million.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  2. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

$20 mil per for 5 years sounds like a good deal for Portland if we can do it.

3. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

Do we think Ant is an All-star within 4 years? If we do then 20 mil is probably a steal.

I do think he hits it in time. He has a more well-rounded game then CJ and CJ would have probably made it in the East.

Idog1976 and Phatguysrule like this.
  4. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

Ant's defense will have to be average to good to make it in that time frame, IMO. Unless Dame is gone.

If Ant is just a solid starter at his age he's worth Norman Powell money.

5. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    I think we're all going to be shocked at how much he will get. For comparison, look at players like Jamal Murray, Andrew Wiggins and yes, CJ.

6. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I won't be surprised if he gets a deal starting at 30m... but I will be disappointed. We should know better. If that's how things take shape, then he needs to be converted into a front-court all-star. Y'know, much like CJ should've been.

7. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Ant as a RFA are we able to work out a sign and trade if a team offers him 27-32m?

8. PtldPlatypus

The base-year contract rules make signing-and-trading him very complicated and difficult.

9. Hoopguru

I dont think if he agrees and signs an offer sheet we can with that team. So we match or let him go.

10. PtldPlatypus

That is correct. Of course, teams with the space to even offer something like that are few and far between.

11. Cugel

Cugel The epitome of mediocrity

Canvas Repairman
    i love him but am not seeing him make the asg or all nba. Ja, Luka, Mitchell, both Murrays, SGA, and the list goes on and on...
    Package him with picks for a legit long superstar-ish 3 or 4.

12. PCmor7

PCmor7 Generational Poster

Saying this for years
    I've been thinking about this the last couple of days.

Only having the one lottery pick, I think, really changes how the Blazers have to approach this offseason. Personally, I think it really hamstrings us.

What if Sharpe is still on the board when the Blazers' pick comes up? He probably has the highest ceiling of any player in this draft. Calipari signs guys who become NBA stars. I'm not scared that he didn't play this year; it might be the one thing that allows a player of that potential fall to us.

Of course, though, right now, we don't need a guard. We need forwards.

Can you afford to pass on Sharpe, though, if all the those top PFs are gone and you have a tier of about seven guys and a real gap to the next group?

Would you consider drafting Sharpe and trading Ant, which allows you to take his salary off the books and use that opening to acquire the guy you need at forward? Or, do you bypass Sharpe, keep Ant, and then just draft Keegan Murray, who should contribute quickly and is probably a Morris/Aaron Gordon-type player, and live with that? If you could draft Sharpe and maybe package Ant and the future Bucks' pick for Jerami Grant or OG Adunoby, would that be a worthwhile move?

13. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

the combine should start to shed light. For instance, if Sharpe is 6-4 then he's a SG/smaller-wing. If he's 6'6 he's a wing and would mesh with Dame/Ant as a potential starter at SF.

personally, I think the Blazers have had a desperate need for a high level wing since the Aldridge team...which was a different NBA then it is now. I suppose Murray fits that need although the video I've seen of him makes me question his foot speed. Looks like a pretty solid all around player though.

I've finally started watching a few videos on prospects. I liked what I saw of Adrian Griffin; he reminds me of Butler. But he's been flagged as a potential injury risk and that scares me.

Ousmane Dieng's video(s) sure made him look like he had great length and mobility with tons of potential. I'm not sure if he'd be a major reach at #6 or #7

as for trading Simons, it's worth considering (not for Grant; meh on Anunoby). Problem is that he'd almost certainly be BYC because the Blazers would be over the cap after signing him. That creates an awkward salary differential for the Blazers to overcome. They would just about have to trade Simons with Bledsoe to compensate for that differential

RR7 likes this.
  14. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

I like Ant and think he's a pretty good player--one of the best pull-up shooters in the league--but he's still a guard that's about to get paid that doesn't get to the rim much, would be a target defensively in the playoffs and isn't a high feel guy.

He's very tradeable in the right deal for me.

Hoopguru and PCmor7 like this.
  15. Predator

Predator The Godfather

You draft Sharpe. Play him at SF.
    Use MLE/TPE/Nas (if necessary, I don’t think he will be healthy ever so it’s an easy call for me)/Hart (preferably not)/whatever assets to get the best possible PF you can.

PCmor7 likes this.
  16. PCmor7

PCmor7 Generational Poster

Saying this for years
    Would not be opposed to that, except we have a glaring need for size and length on this team. We have a glut of potential 3s right now (most of whom are undersized) and few real options at 4 and 5. Sharpe as an above-average sized 2 is an even bigger advantage as an average-sized 3.

I guess we could trade one of our multitude of 3s but I don't know if Nas, Hart or Winslow is bringing us back a quality starting 4. Sign Jalen Smith? Maybe.

Anyway, the reason I put the question in this thread is because it was centered around Ant's future and what options might exist there. Ideally, we'd keep Ant, get a player of Sharpe's quality AND get bigger and longer and add a quality starter at the 4, but if that doesn't materialize ....

17. Hoopguru

Well… should stop calling him Ant as Edwards is Ant.
    There us no T in Anfernee.

Wade Garrett likes this.
  18. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
  19. Hoopguru

20. Predator

Predator The Godfather

He should be the 6th man, super sub. Never gonna happen but that should be his role unless he becomes a defensive monster.