what should i do

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Answer_AI03, May 12, 2008.

1. Answer_AI03

Answer_AI03 JBB JustBBall Member

well... my gpa is too low to get into the business school here so i can't do what i originally planned which was being a financial adviser. i don't really know what i want to make a career out of and i feel like i just can't put my finger on something that i can go forward with. I talked with a student adviser today and talked about advertising as a major, or education. i was thinking of being a high school teacher and coaching basketball. that would be great. but i don't even know what i would teach. i know most everyone here is in high school or early college, but any ideas or advice would be cool. thanks

peace,
    martin

2. cpawfan

cpawfan Monsters do exist

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Answer_AI03 @ May 12 2008, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>well... my gpa is too low to get into the business school here so i can't do what i originally planned which was being a financial adviser. i don't really know what i want to make a career out of and i feel like i just can't put my finger on something that i can go forward with. I talked with a student adviser today and talked about advertising as a major, or education. i was thinking of being a high school teacher and coaching basketball. that would be great. but i don't even know what i would teach. i know most everyone here is in high school or early college, but any ideas or advice would be cool. thanks

peace,
    martin</div>

There are quite a few of us that are far older than that. [​IMG]

You weren't going to be able to be a financial adviser without several years of experience so you can still get there without going through business school. What you need to do is look at the type of jobs you'll need to have in order to become a financial adviser that can make money.

Your best bet is to switch to a major that you can significantly improve your GPA with and get a job when you graduate. Then go get an MBA after a couple years of working.

3. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

Yeah you can do international business, or economics and then switch back to finance.

4. Hunter

Hunter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

First off, I am sorry that you didn't get into the business school. Not all is lost though because in today's world is more about job experience, networking and the people you know, not necessarily the degree that you have. A particular degree gets you your first job and maybe your second but experience is what is needed.

Cpaw is completely right, don't give up on your dream to be a financial adviser. Since you can't get into the business school now, what you really need to look at is getting a MBA after working a few years if that is truly what you want to do in life.

As far as degrees go for you, I would look at majoring in Economics. It is usually in the colleges of liberal arts (at least at A&M it is) and get a minor in business. I know this is a popular route for students at A&M that can't get into the business school.

5. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

It's all about experience and I highly recommend you get experience in sales. You have to learn how to read people, feel confident about what you're trying to sell them and how to cope with people saying no and not letting that frustrate you.

If you really want to succeed in the industry, eventually you'll have to pursue an MBA degree, especially if you work for a large corporation.