What to do with Aminu?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Natebishop3, May 14, 2019.

1. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Dude, Gallinari blows by him on a single dribble. And I don't think Gallinari qualifies as a "fast" SF.

illmatic99 likes this.
  2. riverman

riverman Writing Team

defense

3. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

There's a reason Moe is the one guarding wings. Aminu is a decent defender, but I don't think he's the lockdown guy that people make him out to be.

hoopsjock and blue9 like this.
  4. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    Aminu has never been a "lock-down" defender. His defensive value comes from versatility--being a solid option defending 1 through 4. Very useful for switching, but he's not going to shut anyone down.

BBert, dviss1 and blue9 like this.
  5. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Agreed. He's versatile for sure, but he's not better than average at guarding any position. People confuse his ability to somewhat adequately guard multiple positions with being good at guarding in general - the two are not the same thing.

hoopsjock likes this.
  6. illmatic99

You think Layman can do the same if given the shot? I see no reason to break the bank on Aminu when we have a guy behind him who can probably give the same impact defensively while being way better on offense. Granted he too is a FA, but not unrestricted.

hoopsjock likes this.
  7. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

This.

8. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

1. No.

2. Aminu will be had for cheap (Jake too but still there's no "breaking the bank" on Aminu).

3. Yeah right. Layman with an IDIOTIC pass to Lebron for an easy dunk. Then I literally see his soul leave his body on that screen.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    H.C. likes this.
  9. illmatic99

I don't see the value in posting ONE play in the very first start of his career against the second greatest player of all time to indicate that Layman is a bad defender. Because you know, Aminu is so smart and never makes mistakes.

And given how easily Dame broke down Rondo on the very subsequent play, I guess Rondo sucks defensively too.

Sheesh

BBert, hoopsjock and blue9 like this.
  10. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

It's funny, because on that screen, it was really Nurkic and Aminu who failed defensively rather than Layman.

hoopsjock and illmatic99 like this.
  11. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Um no.

Layman is Lebron's man. He should go under the screen. By the time Aminu has time to play the gap, Lebron is already in the air...

12. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    Here is my observation on this, if anyone cares...

The times when Layman actually started or played significant minutes this year he was mostly used defensively the same way Harkless was, not Aminu. For example, the 2nd half of the one game against Denver that he started he was tasked with guarding Jamal Murray. In other words we had Layman on their best perimeter player. Harkless struggled all series getting through picks and staying in front of Murray yet Layman can't defend because Murray went by him too a couple times?

This is why the evolution of Dame's defense is fairly important. For the last couple years it's usually been Harkless who guards the other team's best perimeter offensive player. Asking Layman to come in and do the exact same thing every time and expecting him to lock guys down is a little unrealistic. Much like Simons, Layman needs to take his lumps learning how to defend at that level. I think he has the athleticism to be a good defender if he does get the minutes to learn from it.

I may be wrong but I think it would be a huge mistake to let Layman walk this summer. Since our starters don't seem like they'll ever play at a fast pace I wish the bench would be designed to come in and just run teams to death. Guys like Simons, Skal, Collins, and Layman would excel if that was the case.

BBert likes this.
  13. illmatic99

Fun fact that is completely unrelated to anything:

Moe is only 10 months older than Jake.

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  14. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

While backpedaling in transition? C'mon man--he obviously didn't even see the screen. It clearly wasn't called out, as it should have been. And once it was set, either Nurkic or Layman should have been there to help; instead both were hedging over on Ingram because they hadn't communicated properly which of them was sticking with McGee. Layman got screwed over on that play, and had no backup.

BBert likes this.
  15. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    I dont think Laymans ever been good on defense, the Denver series had little to do with it for me. Laymans a slasher, and scorer who can get streaky from the outside. He’s great at running in transition, but his defensive stance isnt good at all, he doesnt get low enough.

I agree Id like the bench to run, thats where most of those guys strengths are.

H.C. and dviss1 like this.
  16. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    To me, his stance would be a correctable issue over time. I think he just needs more consistent playing time and a defined role.

17. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

First off, it's not in transition. We just scored on the play. Transition happens on a rebound or a steal. He shouldn't be backpedaling. There was no need to. He should be moving TOWARD LeBron.

Second, once the screen happens (McGee isn't THAT good of a screener) he makes a 1/8th hearted effort to go over it when he should have went under.

3rd, Terry Stott's defense doesn't require help defenders to:

a. Play the gap
    b. Be on the NBA help line.

4th, this isn't the only instance of Layman's sorry ass defense.

H.C. likes this.
  18. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

lol 5 you say?
    I have way more people than 5 on ignore.
    Most are trolls, few of which have been banned.
    But way more than 5.

I just don't have time for dumb people.

Dougnsalem likes this.
  19. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

I remember in the Celtics game Layman got pulled because Brown was destroying him.
    Posters didn't see it this way because Layman is long enough and athletic enough to get a hand up on Brown's shot.
    Just considered it 'better offense'.

Then Layman got pulled and Hood inserted.
    Hood fought Brown for position and pushed him off the spot he wanted to.
    Brown missed the shot.

Layman is always able to get a hand up because he is athletic enough to recover. But in the NBA players want to get to spots on the court to pull up.
    Simply because soon as they get to that spot, defense doesn't matter. They're either going to make it, or miss it.(Occasionally they'll get it blocked) But having a hand up isn't enough.

Layman is too casual of a player right now on both ends.
    How many times this year did I post in a game thread about him having a wide open lane. Only to bring the ball low and let small players strip the ball.
    Sure PT can solve this a role can as well.
    However given the history of this staff on player development. Do players like Layman really NEED game time to break these habits?
    IDTS.

20. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    For the most part Hood has been great on defense. I thought he did the best on Murray last series and held his own on PG in the 1st series. We're talking about guys like Harkless, Aminu, and Hood who have a ton of experience in this league and comparing them to a guy who just saw his first real meaningful "consistent" minutes this year. I completely disagree about development not needing actual game time. Having in game film where coaches can show him what he needs to do differently is invaluable. Sure, some players never really work hard enough to get past those bad habits but I do think that is correctable.

Jake played a lot PF in college. I am 6'6" but am almost always guarding the opposing team's tallest player in leagues I play in. Put me in the NBA and I don't have the lateral quickness to defend guards or wings so I'd never be able to be a shut down perimeter defender no matter how hard I worked at it. Jake I think does posses the skills to become a good defender eventually. I never said he was now but if he lowered his stance like @TorturedBlazerFan said, learns to navigate picks better, and learns to be in a better position to closeout on shooters I think he can become more than adequate at perimeter defense.