Trade Idea What trade packages would you consider fair for CJ?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94, Nov 1, 2017.

1. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

A turnover in the 1st quarter it's the same as a turnover at the end of a game.

His efficiency has fluctuated depending on range. Overall, not much difference.

2. BonesJones

Uh.. Where else would DMC sign? It'd be a gamble that many GMs would take. CLE is in win now mode.

3. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

Not true, because you have a chance to recover from a TO in the 1st quarter, but when time runs out, game over. Does a lead change in the 1st quarter matter as much as a lead change with 5 seconds left? I think not.

And his scoring from 2pt range has been abysmal. 39% at the rim? That's gotta be a historic low.

bodyman5000 and 1 likes this.
  4. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    Based upon watching him play in the 7 games Dame missed last season, and on the 2nd unit.

5. AFully22

AFully22 Well-Known Member

Literally any other team with cap space next summer. Lebron is probably leaving and there’s not a chance in hell he just resigns with Cleveland because he loves the city, if Lebron doesn’t leave they still have to resign him and IT. I would put a less then 5% chance Boogie will be in Cleveland next year. That top 5 pick is a perfect insurance plan for when LBJ leaves, that’s why it was so important in that deal.

6. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Here's a slightly different question: is there a team out there that CJ would be perfect for?

Obviously NY could really use a lead guard. What could they offer? Their rookie with the unspellable name (who looked pretty great in the about 4 minutes I've seen him and would pair with a small shooter pretty well), Kanter to help match salaries, and a pick or two?
    Philly would work great with CJ because Simmons is the real PG so you can put a scorer at the 1, but that's why they drafted Fultz.
    Cleveland is home of his beloved Browns and could use him for sure, but has NOTHING to offer (unless we want Tristan Thompson).
    New Orleans?

Trouble is, there's a glut of great guards out there at the moment, so CJ's probably not going to get value in return. We're going to have to make up for our backcourt's defensive deficiencies some other way.

7. BonesJones

Where the hell is Lebron gonna sign that's a better situation than CLE???

Instead of getting an "insurance plan", make Lebron stay by getting Cousins, and potentially win a ring in the process.

They shouldn't bet on Lebron leaving. If he stays, who do you think they should draft with the 5th pick that would actually contribute right away?

8. BonesJones

Yeah.. no, he's not.

9. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Again, convincing argument on your part. Not.

10. BonesJones

Says the dude who's argument is "He's better because I saw he was better a little bit."

Nothing about his tools or defensive focus suggests he's better than Dame at guarding PG.

11. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    I have _something_ and you are offering _nothing_. Contradiction is no argument. (yeah, yeah, cue Monty Python).

In those 7 games last season, we saw CJ start alongside a big SG. The difference in the defense was noticeable.

For example (in games Dame was out), Steph Curry had 5 turnovers with CJ guarding him (though he did score 35, so did CJ). CJ also had 2 blocks. He shut out Ricky Rubio (who scored double figures against Dame in each of 3 games).

12. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

Lets be real denny. Rubio scores on portland or doesn't score on Portland because of Stotts' gameplan against him.
    Has nothing to do with anyone guarding him. He gets the same shots no matter who checks him.
    Frankly, I think Stotts gameplan against Rubio is utter trash. This guy isn't prime Jason Kidd out there.

13. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    4 games. 10+ in 3 of them, 1 in the other (on 5 shots, 1 FTA made).

I don't see the reason to push back on something that's rather obvious. It's no slight against Dame, who is rightfully our starting PG and should remain our PG as long as he's willing and able. Defense is only half the game; what Dame does on offense is elite.

CJ's defense against SG's isn't horrible as well. In about 1/2 the team's total minutes at SG, opposing SGs had a 13 PER against him.

14. AFully22

LA with his buddies. Melo, LBJ, DWade, CP3, PG could all be UFA’s next summer. I think most of the league thinks he’s leaving Cleveland this summer, doesn’t like ownership, already accomplished what he came there to do, winning a title for a third team is something that sets him apart from MJ.

I wouldn’t plan on LBJ leaving either but you definitely have to be ready for it if it does happen. Having a top 5 pick and some players you can trade for more picks as soon as he leaves seems to be the backup plan. If they get signs that he will definitely resign, then I’d do the Boogie trade too. I just don’t see that happening though.

15. BonesJones

And where would all his friends go with him to sign? You're talking about Cousins and Lebron resigning as "hopes and dreams", yet you're using all his friends as "reasoning" for him to leave, without any realistic destination.

16. BonesJones

So they started a better defender than Damian, how does that mean CJ guards PGs better than SGs?

And the coverage against Rubio was likely different, due to different personnel. Youre cherry-picking specific stats from specific games from an already small sample size.

17. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    I didn't say he guards PGs better than SGs. I just said he's better at guarding PGs than Dame.

I'm pretty sure Stotts guards opponents' PGs with our PG. No different coverage.

18. BonesJones

But he's a worse defender than Damian.

19. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

Rubio gets the same shots against Portland every game. It's all about if he makes them.
    Portland gameplans against him. Go under everything, let him shoot.
    No one needs to look @ stats to see this, you just watch the games.
    Even the last game against Utah you saw the gameplan in action. It's won and lost games for Portland, usually it wins the games. As Rubio has gone 7-7 in the first half, and 0-7 in the second.
    I think it's idiotic scheme as it gives him room to make passes, but whatever. I'm not paid to be the coach Stotts is.

20. AFully22

Yea, Los Angeles is a realistic destination. This has been talked about for months now, not sure how you haven’t heard of it.