What was the worst move McHale has ever made?

Discussion in 'Minnesota Timberwolves' started by tycoon21, Jul 23, 2006.

1. tycoon21

tycoon21 JBB JustBBall Member

^^^ i knew that was a bad move when i heard about it.
    jaric dosen't even compare to cassel,on top of that we threw a draft pick away.
    WOW what a dumb***!

2. purehoops

purehoops JBB KGSource

I agree the Sam Cassell move was on the same level of stupidity. Yes, Sam is older but the fact that he was a proven player, was an instant favorite of Garnett, a great playoff preformer, ect ect... then trade him AND potiental for basically nothing was pretty weak.

Glen Taylor must really like McHale a lot as a friend, or McHale is on his knees a lot. The moves this guy has made are horrendous. I can say he made some bold moves in the Wolves WCF run, but he slowly dismantled the team around an ageing Garnett.

Edit and P.S. - Kevin McHale is the single person I hate the most in all of the major sports.

3. dallasdude

dallasdude JBB JustBBall Member

Kevin Garnett would've been a really happy man if not for Kevin Mchale.

4. tycoon21

i wonder how he keeps the job?[​IMG]

5. Really Lost One

Really Lost One Suspended

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting tycoon21:</div><div class="quote_post">i wonder how he keeps the job?[​IMG]</div>
    There are a lot of bad GMs in the league that still have jobs. Take Isaiah Thomas, Billy King, and Mitch Kupchak for an example.

6. tycoon21

i understand that but by now he should have been GONE!

7. TheFreshPrince

TheFreshPrince JBB JustBBall Member

Glen Taylor is a loyal good guy from what i hear, i think he is really just being nice to be honest. It's lame but i think he may be too nice to be a really good owner.

8. The One & Only

The One & Only JBB The Orlando Tragic

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Brian:</div><div class="quote_post">There are a lot of bad GMs in the league that still have jobs. Take Isaiah Thomas, Billy King, and Mitch Kupchak for an example.</div>

Mitch isn't a bad one,. hes still dumb though.

9. Really Lost One

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Franchise4Ever:</div><div class="quote_post">Mitch isn't a bad one,. hes still dumb though.</div>
    Mitch isn't a bad GM? What about using the MLE and signing guys like George, Divac and Mckie? What about trading away Shaq for basically nothing? What about drafting Von Wafer when we could have just signed him as an undrafted free agent, and drafted someone like Gomes? Don't get me started on Mitch.

10. Sabretooth

Sabretooth JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Brian:</div><div class="quote_post">Mitch isn't a bad GM? What about using the MLE and signing guys like George, Divac and Mckie? What about trading away Shaq for basically nothing? What about drafting Von Wafer when we could have just signed him as an undrafted free agent, and drafted someone like Gomes? Don't get me started on Mitch.</div>

Yes, you can admit that these are bad decisions........but even you can't compare a bad decision here or there (why don't you like George? He is serviceable) that will probably effect you for a season and a half, but the Taylor/McHale tandem ruined our future prospects since Joe til............get it. Like I said before, 1/2 a Cassell is better than Marko. Sure, I hear Sam can be a cancer in the locker room (does it really matter if you're winning?), but still. That man has proved alot to me. Sure I hear he only plays well during contract years or when he has something to prove, but he could've proved it in the playoffs.
    I'll tell you this, as soon as Cassell did the "Big Ball" dance after, I believe game 2 against the Kings when he single-handedly took that game from them with like 2 mins, I knew KG found the man he needed. Sure, Sam can talk to the refs WAAAAAAAAYYYY too much, but I've also heard him correcting teammates as of position and plays. It showed he wanted a well-oiled machine, and would show you by being exasperated when you messed up.
    Hell, I wanted Jaric, but not for Sam.

11. TheFreshPrince

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Brian:</div><div class="quote_post">Mitch isn't a bad GM? What about using the MLE and signing guys like George, Divac and Mckie? What about trading away Shaq for basically nothing? What about drafting Von Wafer when we could have just signed him as an undrafted free agent, and drafted someone like Gomes? Don't get me started on Mitch.</div>

lol, at least you had a draft pick to waste. Plus, Divac would be our best center ever, and george would be great for us. He woudl be a fan favorite (first d3 player ever drafted first round, from minny), and is very servisable like sabertooth said.

12. Iron Shiek

Iron Shiek Maintain and Hold It Down

McHale is obviously one of the worst GM's in the league. Right up there with Isiah, Billy King, and Chris Mullin (Kiki was absolutely horrible too and so will Jordan when he takes over the reigns).

I guess when you are caught giving money under the table you instantly lose credibility as a GM but how can you expect to make this backcourt situation work around a frontcourt star that seems to be on the downward slope of his career:

Mike James
    Ricky Davis
    Randy Foye
    Rashard McCants
    Troy Hudson
    Marko Jaric

Correct me if I am wrong but do you see one player in that mix that you would not consider to have a shoot first mentality. Why sign Mike James when you just drafted Randy Foye? How does having Ricky Davis help McCants w/ his development? How can you give Jaric $40 million dollars and then go out in the FA market and bring in his replacement at $24 million the next year?

James is 31, Hudson has the body of a 90 year old, Jaric is 28, and Davis will be 27. This isn't a young backcourt. I just wished that McHale would have the foresight to bring in good complementary players that can set up Garnett and others instead of looking to improve the team by bringing in players with similar strengths and weaknesses.

13. TheFreshPrince

Yeah, our back court all scorers, except for jaric who is just bad. But, as stupid as it sounds, i think that is what mchale was going for. Hassell is our only good role player, and the rest arent bad, except jaric, but as you said, they are basically the same player

14. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Umair15:</div><div class="quote_post">Look at Marvin Williams.. He was drafted 2nd and sucked!</div>You can't make a judgement on him yet. He was solid last year, averaging nearly 9/5. The kid just dominated the summer league. He's probably going to have a shot at the starting PF role with the trade of Al Harrington. The kid's ceiling is extremely high and he should have a nice year come this year...and just a thought....he's only what...20? He's going to be a hell of a good career when all is said and done and he'll be solid this year.

On topic now...I'd have to say trading away Cassell. He left and then had a monster season in Los Angeles.

15. TheFreshPrince

^^the thing is, we all knew that cassell was gonna do good. But many didnt want him because of his attitude and all the money he wanted, but to trade him for jaric, and lose a pick is pathetic. We couldve gotten way better

16. ChicagoSportsFan

ChicagoSportsFan JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

Being hired as GM. Fire yourself......................... PLEEEEEEEASE. KG needs 1 ring just 1.

17. TheFreshPrince

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting michiganave17:</div><div class="quote_post">Being hired as GM. Fire yourself......................... PLEEEEEEEASE. KG needs 1 ring just 1.</div>

this woul be mchales BEST move ever

18. XSV

XSV JBB The Virve Dynasty

^Sorry if I sound ignorant, but did they lose 4 first-rounders or second-rounders?

19. Really Lost One

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting virve119:</div><div class="quote_post">^Sorry if I sound ignorant, but did they lose 4 first-rounders or second-rounders?</div>
    Four first rounders. It obviously wouldn't have mattered much if it was only four second rounders.

20. Fitch4Delk00

Fitch4Delk00 JBB JustBBall Member

Not giving Spree and cassel the money to feed there kids [​IMG] seriously though if he did pay them I actually believe they woulda had a better year.