OT What Went Wrong with US Coronavirus Testing

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by e_blazer, Mar 30, 2020.

1. ABM

ABM Happily Married In Music City, USA!

Commercial Real Estate
    Look, I don't have a personal problem with anyone in here, but if they drive for a response, I'll give one. Other than that, I'll be certain to play nice.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  2. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    You know whats fun, Ive got a disc in my back that slides around from a car accident when I was 12, once in a while it finds itself a nerve and I cant stand straight til I get an osteopath to fix it, or I manage to slide it back. Yesterday it slid out of place, I havent managed to move it and all the doctors are closed. I went from my mid30’s to 87 yesterday. :)

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  3. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

In this case it does...and using the "Congress was too busy impeaching Trump" excuse is flawed. Congress impeached Trump on Dec 18th...and everyone knew that the Senate would never actually allow him to be removed from office. It's not like the whole House and Senate was shut down during Dec, Jan, Feb...they were still working and voting on Bills ....while among other things, Trump tried to assure us that the virus would "simply disappear".

ehizzy3 and RR7 like this.
  4. yankeesince59

Trump administration was clearly asked by Schumer to declare a public health emergency back in January...and in early February, even Republican Tom Cotton begged them to take the virus seriously.

RR7 likes this.
  5. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Congress impeached him in December. Before the virus existed. So you want them to time travel, as well as do the president's job?

6. ABM

Commercial Real Estate
    Schumer and Cotton pretty much stood alone, but, nonetheless, this thing took the world by surprise. Which countries are shining stars right now, and why?

7. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    The virus originated in China in November if not before that. The Chinese government suppressed most of the information surrounding it.

8. yankeesince59

I have said this before and I'll say it again; I don't give 2 shits about what other countries do or don't do...I don't live in those places and I certainly don't pay taxes there.

As far as "shining stars" this virus did not take "everyone by surprise"...some countries have simply done a better job than others.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/20...e-countries-are-beating-back-the-coronavirus/

Trump screwed the pooch and screwed us.

9. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

That's bullshit. At best, that only takes you to Feb 5 when he was acquitted. After that, the President continued to hold rallies and go golfing and repeatedly deny that there was any problem for about another month.

Yes, everything falls on the President's lap. He is in charge of the executive branch. Congress is in charge of making laws. New laws weren't needed to take early action against the pandemic.

South Korea would be a good start if you want to see a country that handled it well. Why? They took it seriously, and they tested early and often.

barfo

10. yankeesince59

That was the first case...doctors did not realize what it was till December.

https://www.livescience.com/first-case-coronavirus-found.html

1st known case of coronavirus traced back to November in China

A 55-year-old individual from Hubei province in China may have been the first person to have contracted COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus spreading across the globe. That case dates back to Nov. 17, 2019, according to the South Morning China Post.

That's more than a month earlier than doctors noted cases in Wuhan, China, which is in Hubei province, at the end of December 2019. At the time, authorities suspected the virus stemmed from something sold at a wet market in the city. However, it's now clear that early in what is now a pandemic, some infected people had no connection to the market. That included one of the earliest cases from Dec. 1, 2019 in an individual who had no link to that seafood market, researchers reported Jan. 20 in the journal The Lancet.

11. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    I think one thing that will be interesting is genetic testing on this. It definitely appears S. Korea handled this amazingly well, but I wonder if genetically they were better equipped to handle it then say Italy, or the US.

12. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

A different president would not be demanding media and governors be nice to her. She would not spend time on Twitter making up grade school insults against governors coping with pandemic in their states. She would not make up boasts about how great TV ratings for her news conferences were. She would not attack reporters who ask questions, demand everyone in government praise her, accuse health workers of stealing supplies. She might even, if she could find PPE, visit a hospital to see for herself. She would express condolences to the sick, dying, and bereaved. She would not call a TV station and spend 53 minutes on the phone talking about how she is the real victim. She would not override medical experts. She would not withhold supplies from stricken states to punish them because a governor criticized her.

No one made the virus, but people make the response.

13. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    I'm fairly certain that some doctors in China had an idea what it was before December. The Chinese government suppressed the information.

14. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
  15. yankeesince59

Well, I'm sure they did to a degree, we'll never know for sure one way or the other.

16. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Great take...I think Tulsi would be doing a heck of a job. Well trained women!

17. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    What others? By others, are you saying Trump cult members? Surely you can't find any independents or Democrats saying that. Mental hospital patients don't count.

18. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    During the impeachment proceedings he was saying the virus was well contained and no big deal.
    The Senate voted on the Impeachment trial on Feb. 5.
    Here's what Trump said on Feb. 25, three weeks later:
    "On Feb. 27, Trump said during a speech at the White House that the coronavirus was "going to disappear. One day – it's like a miracle, it will disappear." He then said, "you know, it could get worse before it gets better. It could maybe go away. We'll see what happens.""

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...chment-distracted-him-coronavirus/5100694002/

Trump was not concerned with the virus during the impeachment hearings and wouldn't have done anything different had there been no impeachment.

yankeesince59 and stampedehero like this.
  19. stampedehero

stampedehero Make Your Day, a Doobies Day Staff Member Moderator

Part Time Building Inspector
    Wake up call for those that are in Government authority positions. These people did not initiate creative alternatives which is a hallmark for experienced military personnel. This will happen again and perhaps a massive failure is what will slap them in the face.

20. ABM

Commercial Real Estate
    I don't disagree with that statement.