Notice What would you grade the season in retrospect?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Stevenson, May 16, 2018.

?

What grade do you give this past season

1. A

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. B

13 vote(s)
    21.0%
  3. C

31 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. D

12 vote(s)
    19.4%
  5. F

4 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

I thought I covered that in my thread asking all of you to stop with the personal insults.

2. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

I suppose that one is a judgement call. Was I attacking the post (don't matter), or the poster (delusional)? I can see that one going either way. I think we'll have to consult the replay official in Secaucus.

BNM

SlyPokerDog and Orion Bailey like this.
  3. Five Second Violation

Five Second Violation Well-Known Member

My Blazers teacher grading system:

Regular season grade: 80% (B-), weighted by 50% = .40

Playoffs grade: 45% (F) Weighted by 50%= .225

Overall= .625 or 62.5% which is a big fat D.

4. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

I defended who? I don’t defend anybody on here but myself. Send me the link to that please.

5. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Why can’t I see this post?

6. Boob-No-More

Dude, didn't you just defend Rebecca Harlow like yesterday?

Yeah, I know, she's not here to defend herself and you want to be her knight in shining armor, so it's not the same as defending another poster. I'm sure if I looked like her, you'd defend me, too.

BNM

THE HCP and SlyPokerDog like this.
  7. Boob-No-More

Ha! You'll never put me on ignore. I'm the poster you quote when you want to impress the players and coaches with your encyclopedic knowledge of the game.

BNM

8. Drttimmy

Drttimmy Well-Known Member

I went with a C. It was an F at the All Star break, so they really got a lot accomplished to end the year with those all nighter study jams. The good: we found a semblance of team defense; found an efficient and set rotation; we saw some guys improve like Dame, Collins, Napier, Connington; maybe most importantly, the season sample hopefully proved to Olshey and Allen that we can't win big with the team as currently constructed. To counter all that good was the first half record and playoff effort. C seems about right.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  9. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    At the all star break we were 6 games over .500 which put us in the playoffs at that stage. Not sure how you can figure that as an f. That gtradd would be for teams like Atlanta, Phoenix, Memphis etc.

10. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    I see it as like a D before February, then like a C or so at the all star break, then an A for the stretch to April. Then a D in the regular season of April, and an F for the playoffs. Overall still haven’t been convinced it’s not a C.

BBert and Strenuus like this.
  11. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

A C for being inconstient... They werent great even if 6 games over .500.

12. riverman

riverman Writing Team

That's the Nets forum!

13. CupWizier

retired
    We all have various opinions, but you don't flunk when you are in the upper portion of class and majority are below you which was my point in the other post.

14. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

I get all the school analogies, and it kind of works. But really, the only one that truly works is that you procrastinated as fuck and then bombed the mess out of the final, barely passing.

15. CupWizier

retired
    Like I mentioned above, we all have various opinions and we can agree to disagree. What grade would you give Denver? They finished below us, weren't invited to the next level so it should be a worst grade and why I disagreed with the person that said the season was an F.

16. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

What was Denver's ambitions this year though? Probably to make the playoffs like us, but to be in the top four?

I think the grading by most is also based on the expectations they had going into the season. Teams below us more than likely didn't have as high of expectations so thus they wouldn't grade themselves worse than us.

Id say though that Minni probably gave themselves a worse grade than us. I think they had thoughts of being a top 3 in the West.

I think the grading is like a sliding scale based on preseason expectations and isnt as simple or accurate as to say anyone who finished below us should be graded worse(I know that isnt what you said verbatum).

17. CupWizier

retired
    and again I will say, we all have various opinions. I don't see where expectations (especially by fans) should have anything to do with it as results are the only way to grade a teams season IMO. Our results were better than all but 2 other teams in the west during the regular season and tied for 6th over all. Yes, the playoffs were horrible but teams like Phoenix, Atlanta, Sacramento and Memphis were horrible all year so I can't see how anyone can justify giving the Blazers an f when there are several teams that were just plain awful. As for the potential part, ost preseason rankings had the Blazers out of the playoffs and teams like OKC, San Antonio, Denver and Minnesota were all ranked ahead of the Blazers. If I was a teacher and had a student that wasn't very smart but slightly exceeded my expectations and another student who is extremely smart but was lazy and blew a test after pretty much acing every other test who should I give the better grade to?

Just for fun how would you grade San Antonio, OKC, Minnesota and Denver? and I guess I don't remember seeing it, how would you grade the Blazers.

18. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

That is a good point about the preseason national media expections of the teams in the west compared to how it played out.

I gave them a C, i think like most.

I agree that they were better than an F.

I think the most frustrating thing to us fans is the inconsistency. There were moments and times last season where it seemed like we had all the tools, but then those tools get lost for a stretch.
    Probably the largest contributor to the below average grades.

19. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

San antonio- D with an asterisk because of kawhi

Denver - C. i think they are about where they should be based on thier roster.

Minni - C-. If butler doesnt go down, i think they finish ahead of us and continue to gel and know roles and improve going into the playoffs.

OKC - C. Never expected much. Too top heavy of a roster with an extremely innefient player as thier number 1.

20. CupWizier

retired
    In the west, inconsistency was pretty much the norm though as every team had ups and downs in the west not named Houston or GS. Even GS had some inconsistencies during the season in comparison to what was expected.

Orion Bailey likes this.