Rumor What's going on in Portland?

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Rastapopoulos, Jul 16, 2020.

1. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

2. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

Antifa isn't a group at all. What you are describing are Anarchists. Anarchists are more libertarian than they are left wing anything. They are opposed to any government AT ALL. Which is exactly what the video said. That's not left wing. It's more right wing. Which is why the right wing is trying to come up with a new name to call them.

Antifa isn't opposed to government. It is an idea opposed to abuse of power.

https://www.facebook.com/WeAntiFascists/

3. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Phatifa!

Phatguysrule and ABM like this.
  4. ABM

ABM Happily Married In Music City, USA!

Commercial Real Estate
    I just knew there was an answer.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  5. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Oh, they caught guys & gals red handed vandalizing but because of the Mayor and DA not prosecuting & capacity they let them go.
    The police need big time serious reform but they also need backing of the Mayor and as he's their leader.
    If I went into Milwaukie, Gresham, Vancouver and was setting fires, breaking windows and painting others property I would be going to jail and I would expect too.

6. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    They can't put them in jail right now because of Covid-19. If they did put them in jail they'd have to release some wife beater or mugger.

7. Phatguysrule

I'm pretty sure we could find a place for the less than 100 people who are a problem.

8. Lanny

I explained below why they couldn't do this even if the wanted to. It has to do with overcrowded jails due to the Covid-19 pandemic that Trump released on us.

9. Hoopguru

Put them in cages then at terminal 2.
    Containers would work

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    Lanny and Phatguysrule like this.
  10. Phatguysrule

No, the DA's policy is that anybody committing deliberate property damage or bodily harm should be charged and prosecuted.

I have yet to see evidence of anybody who did those things escaping charges or prosecution.

The police want carte blanche to arrest anybody and ruin lives with trumped up charges to strike fear into the hearts of law abiding citizens. So now that there is a DA who isn't part of the "good ol boy club" the police are refusing to do their job.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  11. Phatguysrule

I'm game, as long as there is actual evidence that they have committed deliberate property damage or bodily harm.

12. Lanny

Fine if you could get a judge to go along with it but they won't. I think the best you can do for now is give them a ticket or probation or both. Yeah, get something on their record, for Christ's sake.
    I really shouldn't be swearing but it's a habit picked up from my father from Alabama where almost all men swear like the Devil even those that go to church every Sunday. Ask ABM, I'm sure he's seen plenty of that in Tennessee.

13. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Seems to me antifa too often provide cover for anarchists.

in a large crowd of protestors mostly being antifa, it will be hard to actually catch anarchists in the act,even with body cams, because of the layers of protection in between.

if im correct it seems this has also been a major Complaint of the police force. Bad cops being protected.

I would think if protestors, antifa, want things to get better and get rid of bad cops and good cops protecting bad cops, they would want to lead by example and separate themselves from the anarchists breaking the law.

But instead, they too often use fascist tactics to rid us of fascism.

seems to me there is a very large double standard here no one is willing to admit to.

14. Hoopguru

Multnomah County Sheriff Mike Reese issued a special order last week allowing deputies to book suspects accused of misdemeanor reckless burning and criminal mischief into the county jail as Portland continues to grapple with violent protests that have seen businesses and government buildings vandalized.

The changes took effect on April 23, according to a memo signed by Reese.

"The addition of the two specified crimes was done in recognition of the recent proliferation of attempts to set fire to objects and structures during demonstrations, and has been done in the best interest of public safety," sheriff's office spokesman Chris Liedle.

Previously, deputies issued a citation for misdemeanor crimes with a court appearance order. The order comes after nearly a year of protests that have devolved into violence that resulted in buildings being vandalized, fires being set and violent clashes between demonstrators and law enforcement.

Police fire tear gas at demonstrators during a protest against ICE in Portland, Oregon on January 23, 2021.

The sheriff's office has historically had an opening booking policy, meaning that anyone with a criminal charge could be booked into its jail. That changed with the onset of the coronavirus pandemic, with the agency deciding to restrict jail booking to higher-level crimes in an effort to reduce the transmission of COVID-19 in its correctional institutions.

Local officials have spoken out about the level of chaos happening on Portland streets each night as some groups of demonstrators have engaged in destructive behavior.

"The violence and property destruction we’ve seen in Portland for nearly 11 months is unacceptable," Multnomah County District Attorney Mike Schmidt said last week. "As district attorney, I will always defend a person’s right to free speech but I will not defend, nor support anyone who knowingly or recklessly or intentionally destroys property or engages in violence."

Since the changes went into effect, three people have been arrested and booked into jail on second-degree criminal mischief charges, the Oregonian reported. Liedle said the special order is only temporary.

"It's expected that as we round the corner with COVID-19 in the future, open booking will be restored," Liedle said.

Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler said he hopes the changes will stop those who have taken to the streets to set fires, break windows and spray-paint graffiti.

"Once they cross that line and engage in criminal destruction, they are no longer protesters they are criminals," Wheeler said during a Friday afternoon press conference.

Orion Bailey and Tyrant of Ants like this.
  15. Phatguysrule

Yes, definitely. If the general population wants police to stop abusing us we should make the criminals stop breaking the law... You are 100% correct! Why didn't we think of this before!?!

16. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

uh no thats not what i said.

nice try though....

groups of people need to hold their own in check. Period. Police need to hold their own in check and Antifa need to hold their own in check.

the argument against that is just silly. And really concerning anyone would put up a fight or push back on that.
    If your going to argue this, argue it with someone else. Cause Im just gonna consider your opinion wrong on this.

Two wrongs do not make a right no matter what you try to say to convince me otherwise.

Its wrong of good cops to protect bad cops and its wrong of antifa to protect anarchists.

I question the sanity of anyone opposing this...

jonnyboy and ABM like this.
  17. Hoopguru

Again, same 100 rebels taking advantage of legit protest to destroy property, take on the local authorities, and hurt the cause.

18. ABM

ABM Happily Married In Music City, USA!

Commercial Real Estate
    I posted this in another thread. I like the concept.

https://www.kcra.com/article/san-joaquin-county-town-welcomes-protesters-coffee-with-a-cop/36305811

San Joaquin County town welcomes protesters to 'Coffee with a Cop'

WOODBRIDGE, Calif. —

While many cities across the country have been trying to discourage protesters from demonstrating in the streets, a community in San Joaquin County is welcoming them.

Just outside of Lodi, the annual Coffee with a Cop event in the town of Woodbridge is scheduled for Saturday, and protesters with Progressive Unity plan on demonstrating there.

"Coffee with a Cop is our opportunity for our citizens to come and sit with our local law enforcement officers of multiple departments in a time of non-crisis," said organizer Terry Wells-Brown.

Officers from the California Highway Patrol, sheriff's office, district attorney's office and other agencies all show up for one-on-one conversations with members of the community.

Wells-Brown said the town has been hosting this annual event since 2015 and it's helped strengthen relationships between the community and law enforcement. But word started circulating about protesters picketing Saturday's event.

"Somebody sent me a flyer that Black Lives Matter were going to be protesting our Coffee with a Cop and we all have seen and heard those images of the bad things that can happen," Wells-Brown said.

Organizers with the protesters and Progressive Unity said the group is not affiliated with the Black Lives Matter or Justice for Breonna Taylor organizations, but stands with those ideals.

Instead of canceling the event, she decided to host the demonstrators as well.

"We can be hospitable, or we can be hostile, and I don't want to be hostile. So, I thought, 'I'm going to welcome them. I hope they come. I want them here. Our businesses need them,'" Wells-Brown said. "The fact is that they have something to say. They need a place to say it."

Community leaders are going to give the protesters a front row spot to demonstrate in front of Woodbridge Florist directly across the street and they're going to provide the protesters with water, coffee, donuts and pizza.

The manager of Oddfellows, the restaurant where the event will be held, said there was no way they were going to cancel.

"The reason we decided to do it was because the community here is so strong and we want to support the community, and the cops are so awesome here that it seems like a no-brainer," said Kaitlyn Joachim.

So this year's event will go on as planned, but with a few welcome changes.

"I'm tired of the fighting. Like, we're all tired of the fighting," said Wells-Brown. "Hopefully, we can bridge some gaps."

Orion Bailey and Hoopguru like this.
  19. Phatguysrule

So you didn't dispute anything I just said. You're expecting the general population to prevent criminals from committing crimes.

Then no need for police at these events, right? Just as well cut their funding and spend the money other places to help the general population control themselves better.

That's the argument you're making.

RR7 likes this.
  20. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

No need to dispute anything when you cant differentiate the word “protect” from “prevent.” No where did i say citizens should prevent crimes.

Nice try though.