What's next? Free agents...trades...rumors. Wade is a Bull

Discussion in 'Chicago Bulls' started by bullsger, Jun 26, 2016.

1. pduh

pduh New Member

Thanasis Antetokounmpo I wouldn't mind take a chance of him he have potential especially on the defensive end. I like to see us let go Snell, and replace Thanasis he probably won't get playing time here but I give him a roster spot with a reasonable contract of course.

truebluefan likes this.
  2. transplant

transplant Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

He's a total project, but sure, why not?

Not sure what they can do about Snell. His 2.4mil for the coming season is guaranteed, but with so many teams awash in cap space, they may be able to find a taker.

pduh likes this.
  3. rosenthall

rosenthall Well-Known Member

Thanasis has a good family name, but I honestly don't think he's shown that much NBA potential to date. He's a fine signing for the D-League team, but I'd rather have Dinwiddie or Zipser at the end of the roster.

PS - Nice having you back. You're always missed around here.

4. rosenthall

I agree with the skeptics that he's an odd fit with the team, but the signing gives the roster quite a bit of upside and excitement with little to no downside risk so I'm glad to see it happen.

5. transplant

My "giggle" comment was written in a hurry. I'll expand now. The Wade signing in the wake of the Rondo signing made me laugh for 3 distinctly different reasons:

- The most obvious reason for humor is all the talk forever about how big name free agents won't sign with the horrible organization that is the Bulls. Of course, it's particularly ironic that Wade would sign here given his earlier comments regarding the Bulls org lacking loyalty (to former players).

- Forman stated that his goal for this offseason was to make the Bulls younger and more athletic. His signature move of this offseason was to sign a 35 year old guard with bad knees. C'mon, that' funny.

- Lastly, I had to laugh at myself. I had this offseason figured as Forman trying to build a team that would be easy for Hoiberg to coach and one that would ensure that Butler would be the "alpha dog." The exits of Rose and Noah made sense in light of my brilliant reading of the situation, but who does Forman replace them with? A certifiable head case in Rondo and perhaps the most alpha alpha dog in the league in Wade. While I always felt I was in tune with what Paxson was doing with the team, I gladly confess that I haven't got a clue as to what Forman is doing.

I think I disagree on the downside risk of the Rondo and Wade signings. If either or both players turn out to be busts, the Bulls are on the hook for something in 2017-18. Whatever that something is could get in the way of improving the team.

FWIW, I don't like much of anything the Bulls have done this offseason. I really liked Forman's words about getting younger and more athletic though.

6. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    As I wrote elsewhere, softish landing instead of a crash landing.

Without these two, Hoiberg would have even less of a chance to prove he was worth dumping an elite coach for.

7. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I agree. But actually we did get slightly younger. Let go of Dunleavy, Brooks, Gasol, Noah....Rose is still young. We added Lopez, Rondo, Wade, Valentine, the two pt guards, and the guy from Philly. So we slightly get younger.

Three alpha dogs will be interesting to watch

8. transplant

I expect the Bulls to have a competitive, but not a contending team. I'm not sure what Forman could have done to put a contender out there. This said, I don't see any overarching strategy to these moves. They remind me of what the White Sox have been doing for the past decade or so...cutting and pasting in order to put together a team that, at minimum, is worth watching...on a season-by-season basis. I appreciate that Forman has not hamstrung the team long-term, but they could be stuck with Wade for 2 years and will have to pay a buyout to rid themselves of Rondo if he doesn't work out. I'll also give Forman credit for keeping his young group of Mirotic, McDermott and Portis together.

Best case scenario, what Forman has built is a "if Lebron gets broke" kind of team.

I finally understand what the Blazers' fan/Bulls' critic (BF/BC for futures) means by "soft landing." I'd respond by saying that the Bulls didn't have very far to fall. The Bulls as a contender (2010 forward) was always based on DRose regaining form. In today's NBA it can be argued that you need multiple superstars (2, 3, 4?) to truly contend. Rose is the only superstar the Bulls have had since the dynasty folded and he hasn't been a superstar since 2012. Thibodeau did a brilliant job of making the team competitive without Rose, but in the end, it was always a losing proposition.

It's nice that DWade gets to fulfill his lifelong ambition to be a Bull. Too bad he didn't feel more compelled by this desire in 2010. I'm sorry, but I'm not excited by the 2016-17 Bulls. This said, make no mistake that I'll be pulling for the Bulls like crazy this season.

pduh likes this.
  9. truebluefan

Nice post. I agree.

10. rosenthall

I think if you tied up Gar and Pax and loaded them up with Sodium Thiopental, they'd admit they had no idea they'd be able to sign Dwyane Wade at the beginning of the offseason, which is why the roster moves seem incoherent as a whole.

I think the Rose trade was coherent for many reasons.

Others might disagree, but I think the Rondo signing was also coherent. There's the risk he won't get along with Hoiberg, but the signing has genuine upside. The Bulls have no desire to be a cellar-dwellar.

So up until this point, I actually think the Bulls had executed on their stated vision pretty well.

And then Dwyane Wade appears out of nowhere and the Bulls felt like they had to act.

..............and I'm glad they did. The signing essentially gives them one of their big FA's a year early, which improves the chances of signing another FA the following offseason if things go well.

It's true spacing will be an issue for the team, but I can accept that as a genuine cost of acquiring the upside the roster now has. And the upside to me is a big deal, since it sure seemed like the Bulls were on the verge of becoming irrelevant again, which can be a difficult trap to get out of.

11. bullsger

bullsger Moderator Staff Member Moderator

12. truebluefan

:rolleyes2::rijeka::twothumbs:

13. transplant

We're talking a trade of end-of-bench sub-replacement level players here...sure, fine, whatever.

14. bullsger

15. truebluefan

16. transplant

If they can get Martin on a reasonable 1-year deal, do it. His best years are behind him and he's a lousy defender, but he'd be another player who gets the game...and he can still shoot it. For 15mpg, he'd be a good addition.

17. such sweet thunder

such sweet thunder Member Staff Member Moderator

I don't think the signing of Rondo and Wade provides Hoiberg with any excuses. There's only a handful of coaches who are able to dictate their rosters, and even those coaches inherit players that may not fit their schemes. He has to coach the guys he has . . . which doesn't excuse Garpax. This roster is very strange.

rosenthall and bullsger like this.
  18. bullsger

That is right. I can't wait to see if this roster will succeed or fail.

19. such sweet thunder

such sweet thunder Member Staff Member Moderator

In unrelated news, I watched ten minutes of the Team USA practice, and it looks like Krzyzewski, Thibs and Co. invited Valentine on to the Select team following Summer League. That was nice to see. I think that's as good a sign as any that Valentine is probably going to stick for a while and at least have a journeyman type career.

20. rosenthall

After watching Valentine in Summer League my impressions were that his offensive instincts are remarkably good and his knack for playmaking creates real advantages in tempo and the creation of space for others. The closest comp I could find for him in my head was actually Ginobili.

On defense he's clearly slow-footed when guarding guys 1-on-1 but he also seems to have a knack for the ball on this side of the court as well. He's incredibly confident as well, and not in some put-on way.

The problem is that pairing him with Doug might be problematic, and that's his most likely bedfollow on the perimeter. I don't really like Grant as a prospect, but he actually fits pretty well next to Val and Doug as a multi-positional swing guard that can take the tough defensive assignments.