What's your favorite Amendment?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by AEM, Apr 29, 2008.

1. AEM

AEM Gesundheit

Legal
    It's pretty much as the title asks - what's your favorite US Constitutional Amendment and why? It could simply be one you're attached to for purely personal reasons, or one you feel is more important than others. Any favorites out there?

2. MikeDC

MikeDC Member

Professor
    I'd go with the 9th, since it's almost completely ignored. It really needs someone to love it.

3. cpawfan

cpawfan Monsters do exist

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MikeDC @ Apr 29 2008, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I'd go with the 9th, since it's almost completely ignored. It really needs someone to love it.</div>

I figured you'd go with the 19th [​IMG]

4. The Return of the Raider

The Return of the Raider Active Member

It made me pick twice. I tried just picking one from the bottom section, but it errored. So I grabbed another one from the top section.

Abolish Slavery. Clearly, this was a very very big one in our country's history. I could go on for a long time about how it changed us, but I think it really was the catalyst for setting up other major changes in our government. It completely changed the way business was conducted, stopped an entire people from torture and suppression, and later gave momentum for so many changes in civil rights in the 60's.

Repeal of Prohibition. I always thought prohibition was a complete mistake in the first place. People have vices. It pitted the government against the people (and their vices). This was extremely unpopular to the people, and they really did their best to get around it. It's uncanny how similar that situation was to our current situation with the war on drugs - just replace the word alcohol with the word marijuana, for example. I think I mentioned this before, we spend a $1 billion annually to keep people who got caught with a bag of weed in prison. Many states have already begun scaling back their marijuana laws, reducing the penalties for only that substance, at odds with Federal laws. This issue will continue to be a point of contention until it hits a breaking point like it did with alcohol, I believe.

5. AEM

AEM Gesundheit

Legal
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MikeDC @ Apr 29 2008, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I'd go with the 9th, since it's almost completely ignored. It really needs someone to love it.</div>

If/when the Constitution is properly read, the 9th Amendment is redundant... (So is the 10th, for that matter)

6. MikeDC

MikeDC Member

Professor
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AEM @ Apr 29 2008, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MikeDC @ Apr 29 2008, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I'd go with the 9th, since it's almost completely ignored. It really needs someone to love it.</div>

If/when the Constitution is properly read, the 9th Amendment is redundant... (So is the 10th, for that matter)
    </div>

Obviously the guys who did the reading didn't see it that way [​IMG]

cpaw, you raise a good point about the 19th As long as you keep your women properly in line, the 19th effectively gives you extra votes [​IMG]

7. cpawfan

cpawfan Monsters do exist

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MikeDC @ Apr 29 2008, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AEM @ Apr 29 2008, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MikeDC @ Apr 29 2008, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I'd go with the 9th, since it's almost completely ignored. It really needs someone to love it.</div>

</div>

cpaw, you raise a good point about the 19th As long as you keep your women properly in line, the 19th effectively gives you extra votes [​IMG]
    </div>

Regretfully, I have to announce that MikeDC won't be posting for a while as his wife saw this post and Mike is currently starting what is expected to be a rather long hospital stay and an extensive rehab process.

8. The Return of the Raider

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cpawfan @ Apr 29 2008, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MikeDC @ Apr 29 2008, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AEM @ Apr 29 2008, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MikeDC @ Apr 29 2008, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I'd go with the 9th, since it's almost completely ignored. It really needs someone to love it.</div>

</div>

</div>

Regretfully, I have to announce that MikeDC won't be posting for a while as his wife saw this post and Mike is currently starting what is expected to be a rather long hospital stay and an extensive rehab process.
    </div>

lol

9. MikeDC

MikeDC Member

Professor
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cpawfan @ Apr 29 2008, 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MikeDC @ Apr 29 2008, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AEM @ Apr 29 2008, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MikeDC @ Apr 29 2008, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I'd go with the 9th, since it's almost completely ignored. It really needs someone to love it.</div>

</div>

</div>

</div>

She'd never pay for a hospital stay or rehab. [​IMG]

10. AEM

AEM Gesundheit

Legal
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MikeDC @ Apr 29 2008, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AEM @ Apr 29 2008, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MikeDC @ Apr 29 2008, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I'd go with the 9th, since it's almost completely ignored. It really needs someone to love it.</div>

</div>

</div>

For whenever you're out of traction, the difference is that the Framers (i.e. Federalists) saw that the Constitution was a document that conferred limited powers on the newly formed federal government - with the implicit accompanying understanding that all powers not specifically listed in it remained with either the People or the States, as applicable. The anti-Federalists, who were most responsible for the Bill of Rights, feared the federal government, and added provisions that reflected their understanding that it was a more expansive grant than the Framers actually meant it to be. And to think that they managed to sway James Madison to their side.... I have to go cry for a little while now. [​IMG]

11. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

Im voting for #1, which was intended to protect your right to believe whatever you choose to believe and express that belief in any way you want, but actually protects those things only as long as you arent a christian....thats the amendment added with the best intention....the one thats abused the most is #4....just think, according to the decision in Roe v. Wade, a right to abort a human is based on your right to avoid illigel search and seizure....Im not making that up....thats what abortion rights are based on....the framers would have a fit if they were around to see such abuse....

12. AEM

AEM Gesundheit

Legal
    ^ Roe v. Wade is an atrociously reasoned ruling though.

13. Thoth

Thoth Sisyphus in training

I got the same error as ROTR.

I'm going for the 5th. Why? The bit on self incrimination.

Though, the 1st is a good one and so will the one that repeals the income tax.

14. AEM

AEM Gesundheit

Legal
    I'm actually getting the same error message - and it won't let me edit the poll to fix it...

15. The Return of the Raider

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (blackadder @ Apr 29 2008, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Though, the 1st is a good one and so will the one that repeals the income tax.</div>

I like that idea. I would give up many social services in order to keep my whole check. They take so much of it away from you! Sales tax can stay though.