Wheels taking "leave of absence" for rest of playoffs

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by chris_in_pdx, Apr 28, 2019.

1. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

Just when I was starting to listen to games on the radio more than watch them!

Wheels is a delight and he will definitely be missed during his absence, similar to how it wasn’t the same while Mark Mason was absent last year. Things just aren’t the same without Wheels’ voice on the radio.

Hope everything goes well for Wheels, until then we anxiously await his return.

Thoughts and prayers out to the main man.

Lanny and riverman like this.
  2. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

Can someone post it?

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  3. Dougnsalem

Dougnsalem not barf

Sly did here, in post #19. AWESOME!

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  4. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    Thoughts and prayers Wheels!

5. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Damn shame. What happened?

6. Charcoal Filtered

Charcoal Filtered Writing Team

Not sure if it is the same problems that have kept him from doing road games the past couple of seasons. I would think living on the road is tough regardless. Add health problems and it is even tougher.

As always, we value Wheel's health before his coverage of games. Hope he enjoys the rest of the playoffs and thank him again for his contributions to S2.

7. chris_in_pdx

chris_in_pdx OLD SCHOOL

Wheels had been battling scrotal lymphedema for a while and had sidelined him more than once. I don't know if his latest absence is related to this or some new health issue. He also had bariatric surgery several years ago to help with his weight issues. Whatever he's going through, hope he recovers.

8. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

Yes, I saw/heard the call, thank you.

If Wheels does read - Hey, Bud, Blazers fan in Oaktown, home of Greatest Blazer Ever, sends best wishes.

9. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    Sly did in a previous post in this thread.

10. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    Wheels, get your ass back in the chair. The games are not the same without you.
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
    Oh, and quit pinching the nurses, dammit.

11. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

Hey there Crandc! Good to see you :cheers:

12. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

Well, if you can actually see me, as opposed to my post, you've got some Superman vision!!

Go Blazers.

13. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    Travis has been great in Wheels place this year. As Blazer fans weve had absolutely legendary radio broadcasters. If its health I hope Wheels can get healthy and recover soon.

Dougnsalem likes this.
  14. Dougnsalem

Dougnsalem not barf

I haven't listened to it yet, but Wheels is Co-host on a podcast with Mitch Levy. Talks about their early Seattle days, and the Blazers....

http://mitchunfiltered.com

Episode 47

RUNDOWN

Radio buddies reunite as the longtime voice of Trail Blazers basketball Brian Wheeler joins Mitch for Episode 47. The guys reminisce about how they first met and the unusual
    circumstances that affected Brian with Mitch’s arrival to Seattle. They discuss the NBA Western conference hierarchy following this weekend’s news of Kawhi Leonard and Paul George teaming up on
    the Clippers. A four-pack of guests on today’s show includes ESPN NBA writer Kevin Pelton, Dan Brechlin of the Hartford Courant, Alicia Rose DelGallo from ProSoccerUSA.com, & Samara Freemark of the In the Dark Podcast. Later, Wheels and Mitch weigh in the World Cup victory by Team USA and the earthquakes that have recently shaken up Southern California including a few quake stories of their own. Finally, the guys wrap up with a thought on a remarkable story of a youngster turning heads at Wimbledon and an opinion on MLB’s Midsummer Classic.

GUESTS

• Kevin Pelton | ESPN NBA Writer on free agency news
    • Dan Brechlin | Hartford Courant writer on participation of transgender athletes in sports
    • Alicia Rose DelGallo | ProSoccerUSA.com editor live from France on Team USA World Cup Championship
    • Samara Freemark | Reporter for In the Dark podcast on Curtis Flowers criminal case
    TABLE OF CONTENTS

2:50 | Mitch & Wheels recall when they first met in the mid-90s and how Mitchy the Kid was in Seattle to ultimately take Brian’s job at the radio station.

20:13 | The Blazers have made some moves since the season wrapped up including inking Dame Lillard to a massive extension.

23:09 | The guys recall their Sunday tradition when they were working together in their early radio years.

30:46 | Episode 47 naming considerations are presented to Brian to mull over to reveal the winner at the end of the show.

34:27 | With Kawhi and George heading to the Clippers, rank the Western Conference heading into next season.

37:15 | Which team that calls The Staples Center home the more complete roster right now?

40:12 | Are the Warriors undervalued given their latest odds to win the title in 2020?

44:12 | Kevin Pelton weighs in on the moves that paired Kawhi Leonard and Paul George in LA and also discusses the market for Russell Westbrook.

59:09 | Dan Brechlin shares the story of how high school track in Connecticut has opened a national dialogue about transgender athletes competing in sports.

1:20:04 | Live from France, Alicia Rose DelGallo recaps the World Cup final match and discusses the off-the-field topics the players have been vocal about during the tournament.

1:35:17 | Samara Freemark summarizes the saga of Curtis Flowers which has featured a half-dozen trials over the span of 21 years and the latest news that may eventually set him free from death row.

1:52:49 | The United States Women’s National Team are back to back World Cup champs!

1:54:15 | SoCal Earthquakes this week halted some Summer League hoops games and also shook up some memories of quakes that Brian and Mitch recall over the years.

2:00:13 | Do you have CoCo Gauff fever after the 15 year old stunned the tennis world by knocking off Venus Williams at Wimbledon?

2:02:04 | Will the guys watch the MLB All Star Game and Home Run Derby or has it lost its luster?

15. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

I just talked to Wheels last week on the phone. Thanks for posting this!

16. Dougnsalem

Dougnsalem not barf

My pleasure! It would be cool to hear when you do talk with him! There sure are a lot of posters here that wonder (and care) about how he's doing. I know- stating the obvious.... Lol. It would be awesome if he could swing by here, whenever he gets some time!