When is Stotts going to play Nurk and Collins together?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by tlongII, Jan 12, 2018.

1. DameLill379

DameLill379 #DameTime

Blazer and Jet fan
    True. They do always blanket him with Meyers Leonard. Not only does this team need a wing scorer but we need a Foward who can actually guard these type of players on a consistent basis. We definitely can’t get a superstar PF because 1.) they are none available and 2.) We’d have to give up a superstar of our own. ...So that Julius Randle option looks more and more inticing by the day...don’t know how good Randle can play defense, I have never sat down and really watched the Lakers much this season besides when they played us..but i’m curious what we can do to upgrade there because we are going to continue to run into trouble later in the months...GSW playoff series last post season was brutal to watch. At least if we have someone we can limit the bleeding we might can squeeze by against these Western contenders.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  2. Mr. Robot

Mr. Robot Well-Known Member

theres some nights when he plays good defense and some when he doesnt
    point is he can play defense, but doesnt always do that

I like him, hes talented player, but Im not even sure we need him at this point, hes not a stretch 4 and we have Collins as PF of the future, and Randle is 23

3. DameLill379

DameLill379 #DameTime

Blazer and Jet fan
    My worry is if Zach Collins can develop into an impact player before this roster goes through any significant changes that may affect our place as playoff contenders. I know as long as we have Dame/CJ we will be OK. But my worry is based on the team as a whole. Zach is still getting his feet wet in the league so it may take awhile before he can consistently guard PF’s/C’s effectively.. I do however like his game and think he’s doing pretty decent for a rookie.

4. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    Remember, just after Collins was drafted, Olshey said that they view him as a 5, not as a 4. It was a comment that I found curious, almost cutting off the possibility of a Nurkic/Collins pairing from the start. The blame may not belong to Stotts or, at least, the full blame.

BrianFromWA likes this.
  5. bodyman5000 and 1

bodyman5000 and 1 Lions, Tigers, Me, Bears

Nope. The blame is on Paul Allen.

6. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

I've thought this a few times in the last few weeks...especially with guys like Porzingis playing the 4 now.

I have blind confidence that Meyers/Collins/Layman/Moe/(insert player not getting enough minutes) is not lighting up everyone in practice and just resides in Stotts' doghouse. I choose to believe that playing time is based on merit, or else you'd hear more "whispers". For instance, if Swanigan was continually torching Z-Co in practice, but NO sent him to the G-League to take attention off that the #10 pick (that we traded up for) is getting schooled by his own rookie teammate---that would be messed up and I think it would come out publicly. Personally, I don't think Dame (who values winning, I believe) would let it stand.

dviss1, mook and riverman like this.
  7. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    Collins needs to play. And I think he’s best suited at the 4. His talent is undeniable. He just needs minutes.

bodyman5000 and 1 likes this.
  8. DameLill379

DameLill379 #DameTime

Blazer and Jet fan
    He needs to develop a jumper so we can depend on him more as he gets more minutes. He doesn’t have to be Embiid with his jumpers..just consistent enough. Because it’s clear barely anyone else besides our backcourt can be depended on to get buckets

9. DameLill379

DameLill379 #DameTime

Blazer and Jet fan
    Caleb S is apparently that man in the G-League don’t be surprised if he gets called up pretty soon here. We have to shake things up if we want to turn this around because this inconsistency is getting ugly...we blow out OKC, beat out the Spurs but lose games we should win against NO. That one Atlanta Hawks game we got blown out in earlier in the year sticks with me....WTF is going on.

10. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

A rookie who struggled early but is playing well in the G league is going to make us more consistent? If you want to tank after awhile then fine play him, but it is too early for that.
    IMO if he plays he will be taking Ed's minutes. I doubt that will go over well with the other players. Unless you trade Davis.....

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    BonesJones likes this.
  11. DameLill379

DameLill379 #DameTime

Blazer and Jet fan
    You do make a good point...I honestly underestimate just how well Davis is actually doing at the moment.

12. SIeepwalker

SIeepwalker The lone sane poster

Why would we play Aminu at the 3 ?! He would have a physical advantage at his position most night, that would be so mean to the other team !!

13. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

Portland blew out OKC(a middle of the pack team just like Portland) beat the Spurs(without 3 starters, and rudy gay) only to lose to another middle of the pack team in NO.
    Literally nothing is going on, it's expected.
    Portland is a middle of the pack team who is good enough to beat anyone on any given night. But they're a middle of the pack team, meaning they could lose to anyone on any given night.
    4-11 in the West are all middle of the pack teams.

TBpup and BonesJones like this.
  14. DameLill379

DameLill379 #DameTime

Blazer and Jet fan
    So tell me what moves you feel need to be made to have us back where we were in 2015? Mirotic? Randle?

15. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    Nurk/Collins/Aminu is a future front court rotation that would look pretty good in a couple of years. Provided Nurk and Collins continue to progress.

16. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

I don't think any of the players right now being linked to possible trade destinations puts Portland back to where Portland was in 2015.
    Mirotic reminds me all too much of every other bulls stretch 4 they've had since what 2005?
    Randle outside of 3ft shoots worse than DJ.
    Bazemore due to his contract only makes logic imo if he is replacing Turner.

I don't think tanking needs to happen, but I do think Portland has 2 options.
    Construct a better roster with actual 3&D players, because star players aren't coming to Portland if they don't get to WCF & are a top 1/2 seed.
    Or trade one of Lillard/CJ and hope that gets you more talent which pans out.

I stated before this season started that Portland is a middle of the pack team, and nothing has happened to force them one way or the other.

HailBlazers and BonesJones like this.
  17. Mr. Robot

Mr. Robot Well-Known Member

are you doubting Nurk progress... be very careful about what you gonna say

18. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I still think you need a SF, in a couple of years, that can shoot from deep and attack the basket. Aminu might be our best option now at SF, but I sure hope we find something better than him in a another two years.

42N8Bounce and SlyPokerDog like this.
  19. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    If doubting Nurk draws you're ire, than I'd say he has regressed into Stone Age basketball.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  20. DameLill379

DameLill379 #DameTime

Blazer and Jet fan
    We need a player like Wiggins.

Strenuus likes this.