Forum Game When should Chauncey be fired?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Rastapopoulos, Mar 12, 2023.

?

When should Chauncey be fired?

1. Yesterday

21.6%
  2. Let him coach out the season (it'll help with the tank) but then fire him

58.8%
  3. Lay off him - it's not Chauncey's fault!

19.6%
  1. Whyachi

Whyachi Well-Known Member

name more then 1 Cronin timeline?

we're going to try for the playoffs
    soon to be Title contenders
    Josh Hart part of the future
    Payton is the championship defender the team needs
    the Ant/Dame combo is untouchable

SharpesTriumph likes this.
  2. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

When did he say those things?

UKRAINEFAN likes this.
  3. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

Honestly can't remember him saying any of that...

Tince likes this.
  4. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

These sound like message board proclimations more than anything else.

blazerkor and Phatguysrule like this.
  5. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

So I haven't seen anybody give Coach Billups credit for this win.

6. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

When the roster has HCA talent and Billups fails to deliver.

7. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

8. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

Cronin has a lot of experience as an assistant GM.

9. Fairly-Hard

Fairly-Hard Former Member Gone New!

Blazers interim general manager Joe Cronin made it clear he’s a big fan of Hart and views the veteran wing as a long-term fit with the franchise.

“He’s a keeper,” Cronin said. “Josh embodies what we are trying to build here. The talent level, the skill set, the competitiveness, the IQ, the defensive-minded, guard-anyone approach. His ability to make others better, to make shots, push the ball. … We targeted him, and it’s that type of player who we want. We want to find more Josh Harts at different positions.”

There is plenty more-
    https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2022/02/blazers-gm-joe-cronin-josh-hart-a-keeper.html

“We are excited to have Gary join us in Portland,” Blazers general manager Joe Cronin said in a statement. “Gary brings an elite defensive acumen and championship pedigree that will be essential to how we play basketball. His competitiveness and toughness will accent Coach Billups’ style of play.”

This was a very simple search. Way too easy.
    https://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/...ning-of-anfernee-simons-and-jusuf-nurkic.html

Now the Untouchable stuff is pretty murky? It also includes Grant.

"Having said that, Portland's stance on Lillard, Simons and Grant illustrates the bind the front office is in. Reinforcements are needed for a team that's 23-26 and 12th in the Western Conference, yet the Blazers don't have a wealth of trade assets that can be leveraged for upgrades.

In the event general manager Joe Cronin wants to dramatically reshuffle the roster by trading Simons or using a Grant sign-and-trade to target outside talent, the offseason is a much better window to make that happen."

Yes we were all told they were trying for the playoffs no question there. Multiple times.

Whyachi likes this.
  10. Mediocre Man

Oh, is that what the argument is about? Playoffs. Ya, I think we were too, but Chauncey is a bad coach so Joe pivoted. Payton didn’t play and Hart brought back two assets to try again.

Fairly-Hard likes this.
  11. Fairly-Hard

No?
    It’s just he did say those things.
    I don’t care much either way. I wanted to keep Hart and I don’t know if Lillard, Simons, Grant will work and I know I wanted them to make the playoffs.
    I guess I could have just stayed out of the conversation but I read it and thought I’d look it all up.

Whyachi likes this.
  12. Mediocre Man

I don’t think Dame and Ant will work. Hart was great and would have been a good starting 2.

Phatguysrule and Natebishop3 like this.
  13. Phatguysrule

Thanks for posting the actual quotes! They aren't what the original post said, and they don't necessarily mean what the original post implies.

Yes, we want players like Josh Hart. It's too bad he doesn't want to be on the West Coast. It's also too bad we kept playing him out of position.

I'm encouraged that Cronin is looking for players like that.

Again, not what was said or implied. This says GPII is the kind of defender we want. Not that he's the last piece to our championship puzzle as the original post implied.

This isn't even a Cronin quote, is it?

And yes, of course they were trying to make the playoffs the first half of the season. I somehow didn't comprehend that part of the original post.

14. Ripcity4life77

Ripcity4life77 Well-Known Member

Wes -- Did I ever say Cronin does not have exp ?

I think most want to see Cronin gone cause while I think we can admit he has had a tough job in cleaning up NeO's mess he also has kind of made the mess worse in some ways too. As much as I want to say maybe Cronin had to take a step or two back in the moves to go forward cause of the mess it's still a work in progress but most fans seem ready to move on from him.

15. Fairly-Hard

Sorry but it pretty much does say what the original post says other than i didn't look for 15 of them.
    As a matter of fact some of them are exactly what Cronin said using the exact same words.
    The statement that was not an actual Cronin quote was in fact relaying what Cronin was saying.
    The GP2 quote literally says "Championship Pedigree". What more are you looking for?
    You and I both know he made Lillard and Simons untouchable. Again what are you looking for here?

I'll say again. I just happened to look it all up. I don't have a care one way or another. I just want the team to win.

in verbatim.

Whyachi likes this.
  16. Phatguysrule

The trying to make the playoffs one I'll give you.

This isn't the same as a quote. So I don't give him credit or blame for saying it. I'm not saying he didn't say it, just that I don't remember him saying it.

Championship Pedigree isn't what was claimed Cronin said, or what I percieved to be implied in the original post (so again, thank you for looking up the original quotes). GP2 wasn't a final piece to our championship run (which is the impression I got from the OP). He was always a piece we could hopefully use off of the bench or in trade for other assets. Saying he had championship pedigreee is just stating facts.

I don't believe Simons was untouchable. I don't think Cronin ever said he was, either.

Totally understand. I'm simply saying how I perceived the original post. And while appreciate you checking for the actual quotes, and your response did help me realize I missed the "trying to make the playoffs" part, I didn't think the rest was conveyed accurately.

Not a big deal, just the way I percieved the original post.

Fairly-Hard likes this.
  17. Whyachi

Whyachi Well-Known Member

nice reporting Fairly-Hard !!
    - at the trade deadline presser, Cronin said he was impressed by Portland being an "elite offensive team". He's merely waiting for the opportunity to go "super duper win now mode".

skip the low, medium, or high win now mode, Cronin is about ready to crank this sucker up to 11.

Cronin pats himself on the back once again during the deadline presser, through his wonderful idea to acquire Jerami Grant to try and improve the team's defense around Lillard & Simons. Blazer fans watched Grant drift towards an offensive 1 way threat as the grind of the season wore on. Now all of a sudden the Blazers have 3 Anfernee Simons on defense.

My question is: does the current GM understand how the long season wears out the players? Cronin built a team that looks great on paper, but he gave them an early vacation before it could really be tested against good playoff teams hungry for victory. When Cronin and Billups "elite" offensive team did run into strong opponents later in the season, the Blazers would get their ass handed to them.

How much of that "elite offensive team" is just straight up Lillard KILLING IT this season? Must be nice having one of the best players in the world. Damian makes it almost impossible to build a team that can't win, and also fogs up the lenses of visualizing a team that needs a better head coach.

18. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    Cronin likes to buy himself time. What will he say if he can’t land anyone worthwhile this offseason. He better be in blow it up mode. The draft is a huge time to make trades. If nothing happens during the draft you can count the offseason as being another disaster and Lillard should be on the block.

Whyachi and Natebishop3 like this.
  19. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

He learned from the best.

Whyachi and MickZagger like this.
  20. Propagandist

Propagandist Well-Known Member

I would like to replace Chauncey Billups with Mike Budenholzer. Why can't I ever get what I want?