When we face the Rockets in the playoffs...

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Natebishop3, Apr 12, 2014.

1. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Wes flops all the time. And he gets a calls because of it.

He's probably the biggest offender on our team, but he still doesn't hold a candle to all the guys who flop on the HOU team.

2. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

There's a huge difference between flopping and trying to draw the charge. Guys like Kevin Martin and James Harden will intentionally run into you and then fall down like they were shot.

3. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    I agree, but we must learn to deal with this type of play if we want to advance in the playoffs. I thought we battled through it pretty well last night. We gotta keep that same mentality.

4. Natebishop3

GS actually isn't that bad about the flopping/holding. Bogut is dirty, but he's really the only one on that team.

Houston is just one big shit sandwich when it comes to cheap shit. They're like the Bad Boys if the Bad Boys didn't play hard nosed basketball and ONLY did the cheap shit they were known for.

5. santeesioux

santeesioux Just keep on scrolling by

Trolling the internet
    Wow, Spurstalk and Clutchfans, we're pissing off all of the big nba forums since becoming the official Blazers one! What's next, Lakersground?

6. RoxFan

RoxFan Member

Hey guys, Houston fan over here. I think its going to be a hard fought series with about 100 3s attempted a game between the both of us lol. I say it goes to 7 (Please please Houston get home court). I know most of you guys think we are dirty and flop a lot, i do agree we flop a lot but i would say all teams flop to a certain extent. Mainly its Harden and Lin who do the most flopping. Most people think Beverley is dirty but i just think he plays hard nosed defense and doesn't give up. He is in the NBA for one reason and one reason alone, defense, he wants to stay in the league and he knows that his defense is the only way to do it. I kinda blame the new school NBA for being soft and labeling any hard nosed defender dirty. If Beverley played int he 80' and 90's he most definitely would not be called dirty. But i do understand that i am biased and that you guys probably think differently.

Either way i wish you guys health and luck and hope for it to be a great series. Beverley is going to have his hands full trying to make it hard on Lillard who is a stud. Same with Mathews on Harden. We don't have any 4 who can guard LMA, we might have to resort to trying to play Asik and Howard together to attempt to slow him down. Batum and Parsons is going to be fun to watch, they are pretty even if you ask me one is a little better D and the other is a little better on O. Lopez will probably have trouble guarding Howard but you never know how Howard's offence is going to turn out. Some knights he looks unstoppable and other nights Bargnani shuts him down one on one :/.

maxiep likes this.
  7. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Faced with the way the refs reward the Floppets and Flop City, I'm a little confused by this philosophy. Do you mean that the refs call the flops against the Blazers because the Blazers aren't actually fouling, but if the Blazers actually hammer those cheating fuckers, the refs won't call it? Is it an alpha dog, respect thing? Subconsciously, the refs want to be dominated, so they role on their backs and reward aggressive players?

8. BBert

Selfless Public Servant
    I agree the players can't get distracted by it. I also believe that when a player flops, he should be Meyers Leonarded the very next play. Lay the fucker out, look at the ref, and say: "now that's a foul".

9. BBert

Selfless Public Servant
    RoxFan: I'm sorry the players you follow are cheating flopping bitches. I'm sure you deserve better as a fan. So do we.

Good luck to you.

:cheers:

10. RoxFan

RoxFan Member

I hate flopping too. But I've seen enough players on other teams flop on us so i don't get too mad about it. I just want Harden to play better D, he is so bad it's cringe worthy at times.

11. BBert

Selfless Public Servant
    Exactly. Selling the charge is one thing. Running directly into a player, essentially committing the foul, then bounced off like you've been hit by a car and drawing a foul call on your victim is flat out unsportsmanlike and should be fined accordingly. Same with doing the same bad acting job when the defender didn't come with a foot of you. That should be a technical and a fine.

12. Natebishop3

My problem with Bev isn't his defense, it's that the refs let him get away with things that most people don't get away with. There's a problem in the NBA with refs allowing players to get away with more physical defense if they have a reputation as a "good defender" and Beverley is a good example of that. He is able to do well against Dame because he can body him and push him around on the perimeter. This essentially neutralizes Lillard's quickness. Ask any of the older players and they'll tell you that taking away hand checking made it extremely difficult to stop quick players, but for some reason Bev is allowed to get away with it.

It's just another example of the NBA being inconsistent in how it calls fouls. Also, I think Harden might be the worst flopper in the league. Possibly second behind Kevin Martin.

13. BBert

Selfless Public Servant
    On this we agree.

14. RoxFan

RoxFan Member

I agree that i want more consistency with the calls. If you call it for one player then call it for all players. I just want more physicality on defense, i guess I'm just old school like that :P.

15. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    Welcome! Repped!

16. RoxFan

RoxFan Member

Thanks! I cant wait for the playoffs to start, I just hope we don't have another late season collapse and lose home court. I have no doubt its going to be a good series.

17. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    I've been posting over at ClutchFans, but so far, not many seem to be interested in having an in-depth discussion. Just trash talk.

Please invite any of your more reasonable posters over here to discuss the series. I love getting the perspective of the other side. You bring so much in-depth knowledge of your guys and your view of us. It's refreshing.

Eastoff likes this.
  18. RoxFan

RoxFan Member

Most fans are like that. We all overvalue our own guys and undervalue opposing guys. Most of Clutchfans (myself included) wanted to play you guys in the first. I'm sure out of all the playoffs teams you could have faced you would prefer to play us too. I think there are some really good match-ups. Can one of our 4's at least make it hard on LA? Or will we have to play Asik and Howard together, something we tried earlier on that didn't work out too well and might mess up our rhythm. Can Beverley slow down Lillard and get him out of his comfort zone? Same with Mathews on Harden. Can Howard dominate? I would say you guys have the biggest advantage at the 4 and we have the biggest advantage at the 5. That will probably decide the series, which team can maximize their specific advantage and counter the other teams with adjustments. That is where I think you guys might also have an advantage, Mchale isn't seen as the best x's and o's type of coach who can adjust on the fly from possession to possession. From the games i have seen Stotts seems to be a good coach. Even though I haven't seen too many Blazers games.

19. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    Actually, if you read this board, most of us think the team we match up with the worst is HOU. Perhaps we're deluded, but we've had success against SA, LAC and OKC. We haven't against Houston.

I think we're not freaking out because of your recent injuries which has negatively affected your play. Re-integrating Howard and PB hasn't been easy for you. You barely beat a NO team without eight players. However, if Beverley can continue to play like he did when he was healthy, you'll see a lot more concern on our board.

20. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

We will say, as a fanbase that knows knees and associated injuries, that Beverley is really making a shortsighted decision... probably to get a fat contract this summer. But that meniscus thing is no joke.