where is KG on the G.O.A.T list

Discussion in 'Minnesota Timberwolves' started by tycoon21, Jul 19, 2006.

1. purehoops

purehoops JBB KGSource

Lack of playoff success and championships doesn't diminish a players accomplishments, but limits how high you can rank him. Garnett is top 50 without a doubt.

2. TheFreshPrince

TheFreshPrince JBB JustBBall Member

He is already part of that top 50 club when they added ten more players, so its technically top 60, but that happened last year as a 29 year old player

To be honest, the only guy i would take over kg from the past 20 years is MJ. No one else had the desire or versatility that KG possesses (sp?). His attitude, passion, abilities, and versatility put him over even Hakeem. I am not gonna go into Wilt, Russell, Abdul-Jabbar, or Robertson just because comparing those two games is too difficult.

3. NTC

NTC Active Member

Is it just me, or do I sense a little too much bias in this thread? lol.

4. NBA MAN

NBA MAN JBB JustBBall Member

I love Kevin but Karl Malone is the greatest power forward ever. Even Kevin said in an interview. Malone used to own ever power forward in his prime.

Garnett is Top 40. Garnett is a great player.

5. purehoops

purehoops JBB KGSource

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting NTC187:</div><div class="quote_post">Is it just me, or do I sense a little too much bias in this thread? lol.</div>

How about you read the thread.

6. babybulls

babybulls JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Brasco:</div><div class="quote_post">Honnestly KG's stock is falling fast. If you asked this question 3 years ago people would likely say top 15 maybe all time. Now he's not even considered a top 3 player in the game currently. With only one post first-round trip to his name and no ring he's a strecth for top 30.</div>

I think that's because a lot of the top 3 has to do w/ hype, like dwade is prolly now considered top 3 but i wouldn't take him over KG(in the short-term)

To me KG is still top 3, so is Duncan as good as Lebron, wade and these young guys are... if i had one player for one season kg would be in my top 3..... now he is getting older and is getting closer and closer to the edge of the elite. Not to mention u say top 3 like it's not that big of a deal top 3 is mad elite

7. TheFreshPrince

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting NTC187:</div><div class="quote_post">Is it just me, or do I sense a little too much bias in this thread? lol.</div>

U wouldnt rank arguably the most versatile player ever in the top 50??? thats jsut about what everyone is saying, where is the bias?

8. Chuck

Chuck JBB JustBBall Member

<font size="10">HOLY CRAP... TIMBERWOLVES FANS ARE STUPID HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH</font>

9. TheFreshPrince

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Chuck:</div><div class="quote_post"><font size="10">HOLY CRAP... TIMBERWOLVES FANS ARE STUPID HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH</font></div>

care to explain?

10. Sabretooth

Sabretooth JBB JustBBall Member

<font size=""7"">HOLY CRAP... MAGIC FANS ARE STUPID HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH</font>

Makes about as much sense. This is a "Seinfeld" statement (about nothing). Guess the person wanted to see if they could post larger characters than everyone else.

11. The One & Only

The One & Only JBB The Orlando Tragic

Quick Link

Now that purehoops and MrJ have put their input and I read them, I agree. KG's success will always be hurt by the lack of a ring.

He should be ranked top 50 though w/o a doubt now that I reconsider.

12. Sabretooth

IMO
    I love Kevin Garnett as much as avid Wolves fan can, but I am also a realistic person and not biased. KG has superior versatility, but that's one of the things that leads to his detriment. Example.....most position players learn that position and try to master the basics then excel (4's usually go for the power game, 5's work on establishing deep post position and hook shots, foot work, what have you). When you're good at everything, you don't have the "blinders" on (I think that's what you call the things over the horses eyes so they only see straight ahead). When you're versatile, you know you can do everything, so you know you can add a little point here.......little driving action here......finesse here.. and so forth. Not saying there aren't versatile guys out there though. Anyway, KG's individual stats are great and he is extremely efficient as has been for like, 4 - 5 years, but when you're a franchise player who is surrounded with a hodgepodge of new players annually, how can you expect consistency from the team. KG's fall from elite status will not be from lack of effort but from management. I also, posted before that his energy and desire may need to be harnessed by a field general. People like to downplay Cassell's value here. He seemed to be one of the only players I've ever seen with an equal amount of upside (1/2 of Cassell is better than Marko Jaric, hosted community events, like the week he was signed so players could meet fans) and downside (has proven he can be a cancer on teams and stats go up in contract years). KG had never seemed to have as much fun as when he and Sam worked together. Spree was important too, but it really seemed like Sam and KG hit it off. Sam seemed so important to me, that he was like this "Sam.........we'll call you if we need you during the season, but stay in game shape for the playoffs because you ARE CLUTCH". KG had a general to help him so he can use his energies for rebounding, fast-breaking, and such.
    We can love KG all we want, but when you haven't been to the Finals (let alone the 2nd round once), your place with the elite of the game is not set. What have you done with a team? We have people who have made the Finals. We have greats that seemed to be held back by certain "someones" (ala Celtics, Lakers, Jordan) who would have had a higher level of greatness (Dominique Wilkins) if it wasn't for these particular guys. We have players who were initially behind KG but I can admit has surpassed (Dirk Nowitzki) because they have changed their games and made them better. Coaching for Dirk, I believe so, but none-the-less he did it and look where his team was.

13. TheFreshPrince

^^Solid post, but i really dont think that in this case a ring is that much of a difference. It really isnt KG'd fault. Even the team that made it to the WCF was BAD compared to any other chapionship team. I dont think any of you can name a team that kg has been on that should have even been close to the finals, or even a playoff team. Come on, this years clippers team was way better than our WCF teams. I have seen some people saying brand is now better than KG, yet brand could only lead a better team to beat a horrid nugget team. Mobley was better than spree, Cassell was healthy for brand, we didnt even have him, hassell was a great defender, but not that much more of an affect compared to livinston, Kaman destroys any of our bigs.

So really, what KG team should have been good enough to reach a finals. It is not like he is dissapointing every year and chokes. He still leads teams that are below average to the playoffs.

14. Sabretooth

Reaching the playoffs in the West is usually a test (not like in the East where a sub .500 record will get you in) but playoff success is also important. I didn't say that he would have to get a ring, I stated that he has only been out of the 1st round once and it has been said time and time again, Superstars can show in the regular season, but the elite show in the playoffs.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting TheFreshPrince:</div><div class="quote_post">So really, what KG team should have been good enough to reach a finals. It is not like he is dissapointing every year and chokes. He still leads teams that are below average to the playoffs.</div>

My post also states that it is the fault of management that KG hasn't been able to accomplish more. KG will have phenominal stats (mainly regular season) at the end of his career, but when you start to place him in regards to the G.O.A.T's list, there are still things he would need to accomplish to climb that bracket. The only other superstar that I believe has struggled as much as KG is Tmac in post season play and his main reason is injury.

15. TheFreshPrince

I wasnt refferring entirely to your post, and i liked everything in it. But KG has really never had a championship caliber team. That is the managements fault. People just expect him to have success because of how great he is, but with never having a really good team, he shouldnt have these expectations.

16. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.
    KG's a creepy but very talented guy.

Of course KG is one of the top 20 players of all time, I'd take him in a second over Wade. The guy can ball. Anyone can get a ring in the NBA, just play for the right team. You need to judge him on his accomplishments (Offensively, Defensively,etc.) not winning. There are few (active) players I would take over KG. Wtf, is Rasheed better than KG? Ok then.

17. Heisman

Heisman JBB JustBBall Member

In my eyes he's easily a top 25 player. Top 15 if he gets a ring.

18. Sabretooth

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting huevonkiller:</div><div class="quote_post"> Wtf, is Rasheed better than KG? Ok then.</div>

Just to prove a point. Rasheed Wallace and Kevin Garnett wouldn't have even been mentioned together on their caliber of play.........until Sheed got a ring. Now, even if people wouldn't choose to place him above KG, his name gets entered into the conversation just by that fact. I actually used it as a way to kick KG and C Webb in their backsides. Stating "Rasheed-Freakin'-Wallace got a ring, come on now. You gotta compete". The NBA world shows that chemistry and talent are what really makes teams successful (plus a general who knows when to step on the throat of the opposition when it counts). The only person I've seen, just dominate, is Jordan. Not saying he had alot of bench warmers, but when you win 3 rings, take a leave of absence, decide it's time to take 3 more. What can you say. I bet there were alllloooottt of "tight sphincters" (ala C. Barkley) in the locker room because Jordan demanded nothing less. Do you think can focus that intensity and drive he has now in the same way?

19. TheFreshPrince

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting huevonkiller:</div><div class="quote_post">Of course KG is one of the top 20 players of all time, I'd take him in a second over Wade. The guy can ball. Anyone can get a ring in the NBA, just play for the right team. You need to judge him on his accomplishments (Offensively, Defensively,etc.) not winning. There are few (active) players I would take over KG. Wtf, is Rasheed better than KG? Ok then.</div>

come on man, wade has no legacy, just three very good years. Dont say he is better than a seasoned vet of kg's caliber.

20. Sabretooth

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting TheFreshPrince:</div><div class="quote_post">come on man, wade has no legacy, just three very good years. Dont say he is better than a seasoned vet of kg's caliber.</div>

He said he'd take KG over Wade.