Game Thread Where's the UofO/Colo & OSU/UW Thread?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by wizenheimer, Nov 3, 2022.

1. Fairly-Hard

Fairly-Hard Former Member Gone New!

Yep you gotta wonder where this all ends up if Oregon wins out?
    One game at a time and all but this is looking like they could still get in?

2. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Since the Pac 12 has expanded to 12 teams no football team has gone undefeated.

3. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    That’s a good thing

bruh

4. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

the offense is great, really great, but does struggle in the red zone at times

still, the defense is bad against the pass and the next 2 games, and 3 of the next 4, are against three of the best QB's and most prolific passing attacks in the NCAA. Oregon got almost no pressure on the Colorado QB today, and their OLine isn't as good as the next 4 the Ducks will face

I have no confidence....none....In the Duck D. The offense has improved a lot; the defense has not.

BBert and oldmangrouch like this.
  5. Haakzilla

Haakzilla Well-Known Member

SEOWebDesignLLC.com
    Ducks will lose at least 2 more times...that's their destiny under control :crystalball:

6. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    Horse shit on the offensive line part. That’s as good an o line in the country.

As far as the defense it’s not amazing. But Nick Allioti defenses were never amazing. Bend but don’t break. Find your niche.

We have playmakers on defense that are capable

STOMP likes this.
  7. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

We will probably lose to Georgia in the natty..... who would be the other loss? :devilwink:

8. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

They took care of UCLA who has both a good O&D.

9. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

He's aggressive and has faith in his team. I like that.

But you're right. Especially in that weather.

Haakzilla likes this.
  10. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Does it drive anyone else nuts that we now have a reputation for not being able to hold onto coaches?

Fuckers at Auburn are already eyeing Lanning.

oldmangrouch likes this.
  11. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Leaving Oregon to coach elsewhere hasn't really worked out for most.

12. wizenheimer

I was talking about Colorado's OLine, not Oregon's and pointing out the Colo OLine isn't nearly as good as the next 3 OLines the Ducks play....and that the Duck front-7 got almost no pressure on the QB yesterday. The best part of a pass defense is putting the QB on the ground before he passes.

Alioti had some good defenses and he had some shitty ones. I'll look up where some ranked in those areas I was talking about...

Opponent 3rd down conversion rate rankings:

2009 - 51st (out of 120) (Blount punched BSU player; Oregon beat by Ohio State in Rose Bowl)
    2010 - 20th (out of 120) (played Auburn in championship game; maybe Alioti's best D after Gang Green)
    2011 - 58th (out of 120)
    2012 - 15th (out of 124) (Chip's last season)
    2014 - 90th (out of 128 - Pellum was DC)
    2016 - 122nd (out of 128 - Hoke was DC of Oregon's worst defense ever) (Helfrich fired)
    2019- 22nd (out of 130) (Avalos was DC; Oregon beats Wisconsin in Rose Bowl)
    2022 - 126th (out of 131) (Tosh Lupoi DC)

Opponent Red Zone conversion rate:

2009 - 71st
    2010 - 6th
    2011 - 56th
    2012 - 12th
    2014 - 83rd (Pellum)
    2016 - 99th (Hoke)
    2019 - 23rd (Avalos)
    2022 - 35th (Ducks have improved a lot in this area, they were 70th before the Cal game)

Alioti's best defenses employed a bend-but-don't-break scheme. And, they got off the field at a high rate when they had an opposing offense in 3rd down. That's critical. And it helps when the defensive back stiffens when an opponent is in the red zone

what distinguished Alioti's best defenses is when he had 3 cornerbacks (2 starters, one nickel) who he could leave on islands, one-on-one against the best opposing WR's. That way he could stack the box and keep the safeties in the center zones. Alioti also had LB units who were good against the pass. That limited crossing patterns and opposing TE's. And Alioti was able to dial up good QB pressure.

the current defense has none of those advantages. They have been terrible at making 3rd down stops. It hasn't burned them, much against the Arizona-Cal-Colorado QB's, but if they give a bunch of extra downs to Michael Penix, Cameron Rising, and Caleb Williams (or DTR), they are going to get burned, bigly

the Ducks only have one CB you can leave on an island, and that's Gonzalez. They can't do that with Bridges or Barkins or Manning. So, they have to play lots of zone, And they have to hedge safeties and LB's towards their vulnerabilities. That leaves them open to crossing patterns and it leaves gaps in the zonesthe LB's have vacated. Compounding that situation is that the Ducks don't have a LB unit good at pass defense. Bassa is OK but Sewell, Flowe, Brown, and LaDuke are not

and lastly, the Ducks have been bad at QB pressure. They rank 94th in sacks. From 2009-13, Oregon ranked 13th, 21st, 3rd, 44th, 47th.

I'm probably being too harsh on the defense. I can see what they are trying to do. That's limit opposing rushing offense and try and limit opponent passing efficiency. They are 117th in opponent passing yards a game; 91st in opposing QB rating, and 70th in opponent passing yards/attempt. But again, what is just slamming the defense is the absolutely shitty 3rd down conversion rate. They can't get off the field. If they can clean that up, a lot, and dial up more QB pressure (those two things are related as the Duck DC needs to keep 7 or 8 in coverage rather than Blitz at a high rate) the defense would be much better. I'm just not optimistic they can do that

oldmangrouch likes this.
  13. wizenheimer

yeah, they did

but they can't rely on an onside kick every game. The Ducks did get two critical 3rd down stops in the red zone that forced UCLA FG's, although one stop was due to 15 yards in UCLA penalties after UCLA got to the Duck 14. And a 3rd drive to the Duck 13 was killed by an Addison interception in the end zone.

BUT, UCLA didn't punt once in that game. Oregon will need to force some punts against the next 3 teams

yesterday, Colorado was 8-14 on 3rd down conversions. Ducks will not win the next 4 games if they don't clean that up

14. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Haven't watched a ton of games, but lack of discipline resulting in penalties seems to have had a big impact on getting off the field, at least in the games I have watched. That stuff drives me nuts.

BBert likes this.
  15. twobullz

twobullz Well-Known Member

Oregon had their Best pass rusher and a couple others I believe sit out yesterday to heal up. I know for sure there top guy was out. So hard to compare yesterday to when they have him back, next week I bet.

STOMP and SlyPokerDog like this.
  16. wizenheimer

I know he was out. But even when he was healthy Oregon was in the bottom 3rd in the NCAA in sacks

17. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Agree their D needs to improve. The Huskies best defense will be them keeping our Offense off the field. The dawgs dont have a superb d either. USC has been scored on and hey give up a ton of sacks. Utah is solid and the beavers are as well.

18. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

19. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
  20. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Interesting quote:

IMO, a "stand-up coach" wouldn't be in contact mid-season with another school less than a year into his first head-coaching gig. Hopefully the "contact" they claim has occurred has been completely one-sided.