Which players are the most important to the team?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Idog1976, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Idog1976

Idog1976 Well-Known Member

I look to the stars.
    Please list your top 6 players in order of importance to the team:

Roy
    Oden
    Batum
    LMA
    Andre
    Joel

The more I've thought about it recently the more I've thought that no one is really untouchable on this team. I would move even Roy for Wade, LeBron, or CP3.

That said Oden and Roy are my inner core. Batum ranks right up there and I would only trade him for the guys I mentioned for a Roy trade.

I honestly think Oden is the only player currently on the team who has the potential to be the best player at his position in the league. I would hesitate to trade Oden for anyone just because he has top 5 talent when healthy. I would rate Oden number one if his health were a bit better or Roy's a shade worse. I know I'm in the minority here when I say Roy's health worries me more then Oden due to the nature of the injuries.

I'm just curious to see how folks rate the players.

2. LameR

LameR Ha Seung-Jin Approved!

Soccer Coach
    1. Oden. If he is on, he will make everyone else's lives easier.
    2. Roy. Every team needs a closer, and Roy is our's, but if you were to ask me if Roy will open things up for Oden by being on the court or vice versa, it's easily Oden opening things up for Roy in my mind.
    3. Aldridge. Works very well off of Roy, and assuming Oden is playing (which in this post we are), he's only going to be facing 1 on 1s. Would be a great third option on the team.
    4. Batum. There is quite a lovefest with Nicolas. I appreciate having a good defender, and an efficient offensive player in Batum, but I think if we're attempting to win it all, the three above are more important. You could make an argument that you need a lockdown defender to be successful and put him over Aldridge for that reason (and I wouldn't disagree necessarily), but he's 4th on my list. Doesn't mean he is not important though.
    5. Miller. He was amazing for us last year. I would actually be sad to see him go in a trade because I think he has a lot to teach our young guys, and I hope he can mentor Jerryd and PGotF #13114 until he's gone.
    6. Joel. I see Camby being in front of him, so he isn't as important. Love his toughness. Love his effort.

If we are allowed to include players you didn't list mine would go like this...

1. Oden
    2. Roy
    3. Aldridge
    4. Batum
    5. Bayless/Babbitt/whoever becomes our 6th man. We have to have consistent production from whoever this player is so we don't have a huge dropoff when our bench comes in.
    6. Andre

3. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    Brandon Roy
    Greg Oden
    Nicolas Batum
    LaMarcus Aldridge
    Jerryd Bayless
    Andre Miller

I can't put Oden at the top of the list until he shows he can stay healthy long-term. Until then, Roy is the best and most valuable player to this team, short and long term. Batum and Aldridge were a struggle to rank against each other. I think Batum's "expected" prime production should be about where Aldridge's is, but with superior defense. So I ranked him just ahead of Aldridge despite my thinking that Aldridge is the better player right now. Finally, Bayless and Miller were hard to rank against each other. Miller is vital in the present, but has only a year or two left. Bayless has the talent to be a major, core player for many years...but he's not there yet and therefore carries risk...which is why he wasn't a slam dunk ahead of Miller.

4. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

Brandon -- I'm starting to wrinkle my nose at his increasing ball dominance, but let's face it: No Roy, No playoffs the past two years
    Batum -- Outside of Brandon I think he's the brightest light this team currently possesses. He plays efficiently on offense, shoots a great percentage, has a certain swagger, and has enormous defensive potential. Mix all of those ingredients together along with his increasing role with the French national team as a playmaker and I think you've got the recipe for one helluva player ... maybe not a superstar, but I foresee a couple of All-NBA defense teams in his future and maybe even a trip to the all-star game a few times once he's matured as an offensive player.
    LMA -- A great third option scorer on a team with championship aspirations, but slightly miscast as a second option unless he can develop some kind of faceup game and an ability to take people off the dribble or unless he can learn to handle a double team AND still get a high percentage shot. Defensively he's versatile, but seems to have stagnated a little bit. LMA is solid and he might surprise us with a jump in production, but I think it's pretty clear he is what he is.
    Oden -- "If healthy." There's no getting around it, anytime you bring up Greg's impact you always have to attach that caveat. I think he's a helluva specimen physically and in 20 games last year he was really starting to put things together with deft passing out of the post, fantastic post defense and an emerging go-to mentality on offense ... and then his knee exploded (again). That's 3 major knee injuries in three years for those keeping score at home. So "if healthy" I'd have ranked at the top spot, but until then he's not in my core of three, but just outside looking in ... if he can ever stay healthy
    :sigh:

Miller -- Just on production and his ability to impact the game he's probably right behind Roy in terms of importance to this team's success, but at 34 going on 35 he's a short timer on an expiring contract
    Camby -- Love him, couldn't have gotten to the post season without him last year and as a backup 4/5 you couldn't really ask for more, but he's in the same boat as Miller

Bayless, Williams, Johnson, Dante, Babbitt, Pendergraph, Juwan -- I don't mind any of these guys taking up a roster spot. They're either decent reserves with some upside, cheap rookies with upside, or ancient vets with no upside but a ton of heart.

Rudy, Mills -- meh. Rudy can GTFO, and I'm not a fan of shoot first point guards with so-so court vision ... and am even less of a fan of short, shoot first point guards with so-so vision and not much defensive potential.

5. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    #1: Brandon Roy
    #2: Nicolas Batum

IMHO, everyone else is expendable.

Greg Oden's future is purely hypothetical at this point. If I had it my way I'd package him rather than Batum and see of NOH will bite on his 'potential.'

6. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

Oden
    Roy

That's my whole list...while everyone else can be good role players these are the two that can make us contenders.

Without a functional Oden...don't think we are legit contenders

7. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    Are you counting the secound Knee Injury on Oden were he banged it with Maggetti and was just out for a litlte bit? That one didn't require surgery just time off. I can only remember two serious knee Injuries. The Micro fracture surgery and were his knee exploded.

8. Nikolokolus

Fracturing your patella and missing 20 games is a serious knee injury ... especially when they are draining bloody fluid from your joint.

9. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

For next season:

Roy
    LMA
    Camby
    Batum
    Miller
    Oden

In the long run:

Bump Batum up to #3, and add Joel to the list as a potential trade chip.

10. 1 Eye Jack

1 Eye Jack Well-Known Member

Vice President for Display company
    1. Oden no matter how well Roy and the rest play we don't win a championship without Oden.
    2. Roy at least gives us a chance in every game.
    3. Batum skill set wise he may be our best overall player in 2-3 years
    4. LMA good player but lacks the desire to do what it takes to become great
    5. Rudy going to surprise some people but when Rudy is playing his way and with confidence I think he could a great offensive player. Unfortunately if I take into account Nates offense I question whether I should have put him here but oh well this is what forums are for.....

11. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Oden
    Batum
    Roy

No one else

12. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Roy
    Aldridge
    Oden
    Batum
    -
    -

13. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Oden
    Roy
    Batum

No one else

14. VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla Well-Known Member

Oden
    Roy
    Batum
    Aldridge
    Miller
    Camby

... How are people saying no one else when the objective was to name your top 6 important players? I guess you are just changing the rules..

15. EL PRESIDENTE

posted from my phone. didn't feel like typing.

16. EL PRESIDENTE

More in depth:

1. Oden- We are a championship contender if he's playing like we expect him, and if healthy, he would be.
    2. Roy- 3x All-star. He's an elite player in the league. Provides clutch and a killer instinct.
    3. Miller- Steady PG skills and vet experience.
    4. Camby- Oden's going to get in foul trouble. Camby is essentially as a backup....Shot blocking and great rebounding.
    5. LMA- Needs to turn it up, but he's important. needs more consistency and toughness....we'd be unstoppable if he did.
    6. Batum- Lots of potential still untapped. I think the guys above are more important to wins for the next 2 seasons.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  17. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Sergio
    Zach
    Rudy
    Viktor
    Travis
    Ha

18. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    Ha, indeed. That's my reaction also to your list. ;)

19. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    For Chris Paul, Nic is expendable.

I personally think Oden is the only untouchable player on the roster. He's too young with way too much potential to now know what you'd be giving up. Honestly, I wouldn't give up Oden for LeBron. I would counter with "how about Roy?"

So here's my top 6:

Oden
    Roy
    Aldridge
    Batum
    Miller
    Camby

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  20. Nikolokolus

Wow. would that team even win 30 games?