Who do we take if Granger and Green are gone by #9?

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Warriorfansnc93, May 24, 2005.

1. goldenstatefan

goldenstatefan JBB JustBBall Member

That sounds like the typical pre-draft rumors...I can't see the Warriors maknig a guarantee this early, especially to a player like Frey who seems vastly over-rated in the top ten. I don't think he's that good.

And as far as "ready to contribute", supposedly Vasquez is one of the most ready to contribute in the draft, especially as compared to an undersized power forward coming out of an undersized conference - the pac-10. (nbadraft.net: One of the few Euros that will be instant contributors in the NBA, chad ford: Ready to step in and contribute immediately.)

I favor Taft, Vasquez, Splitter, and almost any other pf or center over Frye.

Frye won't come in and contribute much immediately - and I don't want him getting minutes over a top-notch prospect like Biedrins - and his upside is very limited. So why give him a guarantee?

2. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

Yeah. Not only it sounds way too early to promise a draft pick, it's not like anybody will touch Frye at 9th pick to begin with, so what's the point of promising a draft pick? Is Mullin trying to spread smoke screen this early? But, if Frys doesn't work out with other teams, we may need to take this rumor bit more seriously. And, if it's true, I guess Mullin just wants early vacation. Yes, very early vacation. Also, two years in a row that public found out who we will draft...

3. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    It wouldn't be such a bad pick if we traded down to the end of the round. I'd expect for that kind of trade, we'd be getting a starter out of the deal though (either moving Murphy or Dunleavy). At 9, there are some decent players out there. Let's see how clever Mully really is.

4. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Mullin is pretty good about keeping things secret up until the very last moment, so I'm sure whatever goes down, Warriors won't be unhappy (not Foyle 48mil/6yr or Fisher 36-40mil/6 year unhappy at least).

Nobody knew about Baron Davis until a couple days after the discussion originated. So Mullin has some suprises that can keep his competitors off guard. I think all this draft talk is either a ploy by him or it's simple conjecture from the media because the Warriors "need" a big man, rather than the best available player. The Warriors will go with the best available player and they'll keep whoever is above/below us guessing who that is so that either the guys below us can make a trade offer to us to get a certain player and also so that the guys above us start overrating some talents, maybe. [​IMG]

We're lucky we didn't have to do that when Toronto passed over Andris Biedrins for Rafael Araujo because they wanted ready now rather than ready later.

5. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    Good point. If we're not looking to move any of our contracts, then drafting a guy who needs some polishing might be the best thing to do. Honestly, there isn't going to be many minutes for a rookie to come in and excel in. So why not take a guy that needs some bench time, muscle, and a little polish. We have the perfect coach to develop talent, and a hard working team with good attitude to mentor.

6. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting CohanHater:</div><div class="quote_post">Good point. If we're not looking to move any of our contracts, then drafting a guy who needs some polishing might be the best thing to do. Honestly, there isn't going to be many minutes for a rookie to come in and excel in. So why not take a guy that needs some bench time, muscle, and a little polish. We have the perfect coach to develop talent, and a hard working team with good attitude to mentor.</div> It's tough. We may feel we don't need anything right now, but anybody who has a good mix of strength, speed, length, quickness, heart, potential and all around skill has to be taken into consideration. Even if their ceiling isn't high and their floor isn't low either, that's another super-sub or potential starter we can use right there. That's kind of why I'm in between going the REREM route of proven college players who have skill and overachieved and also going the high risk route of taking unproven players with scary potential like high schoolers and young internationals like Darko Milicic, Mickael Pietrus or Yao Ming. Essentially, I'd try to be looking for replacements for either Murphy or Dunleavy as starters who can mix it up both offensively and defensively. Biedrins will probably be a center because of the way he plays right now, but you never know if he'll develop range out to 18-20 feet and become a offensively polished power forward as he figures out his body and learns why his idols Kevin Garnett and Tim Duncan are so effective in the NBA.

Guys like Danny Granger I'm feeling more and more like Mullin should draft, even though Granger is a "safe" pick. I just love the fact he has the potential be a good transition or weakside help defender and man-to-man defender against those tough to guard 6'8 athletic players that outmuscle or outquick either Richardson, Pietrus, Dunleavy, or Zarko Cabarkapa. I also like the fact he does everything well, even though he is not a "killer-instinct" type of player (much like Dunleavy). He does play with energy and zeal, and he's shown ability in stepping up when needed so I'm sure he can do as he had in college without being pressured to be our "go-to" guy. How many swing players are 6'8, have 7'2 wingspan and have all those skills he has to go with his athleticism and strength?

Crap. I'd love to have a draft pick where strength, athleticism, size, talent are above average by nba standards and the offense and defense come in the same package. I've been waiting for that player for years and the only way we got one was by trading for him.

And also about Diogu... Does this guy play like a center like Elton Brand did for Duke? I don't mind him getting drafted by us because he has qualities I like but will his potential ever be as a starter?

7. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Im pretty sure Diogu does play C for Arizona St. With the recent news of Taft's extreme laziness, Granger, Graham, and Wright have moved atop my favorite prospect list. Wright moved all the way to #7 on DraftCity while Graham seems to be destroying anyone in his path during workouts. Granger still seems to be doing well also.

If Petro's team loses on Sunday then he will come to LA to hold some workouts and possibly move up the boards, he could be a possible candidate for our pick.

8. og15

og15 JBB *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">We're lucky we didn't have to do that when Toronto passed over Andris Biedrins for Rafael Araujo because they wanted ready now rather than ready later.</div>
    Why do you have to remind us [​IMG]

Green will definately be gone at the Warriors position, but Granger will likely still be available, though I'm not sure if he should be picked that high. Are the Warriors said to be going after a swingman? I'd think their's already enough young swingmen on the team, someone is going to have to get traded.

9. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting og15:</div><div class="quote_post">Why do you have to remind us [​IMG]
    </div> Sorry og15... [​IMG]

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting og15:</div><div class="quote_post">
    Green will definately be gone at the Warriors position, but Granger will likely still be available, though I'm not sure if he should be picked that high. Are the Warriors said to be going after a swingman? I'd think their's already enough young swingmen on the team, someone is going to have to get traded.</div> The Warriors plan to go for the BAP (Best Available Player). Whoever the heck that is. Personally, if Granger falls to us I'd love it. But like Run BJM, I'm also happy with Joey Graham (the next Ron Artest minus the attitude?), Atoine Wright (A Ray Allen type player at the swing position), Ike Diogu (Elton Brand, smaller), Johan Petro (Rasheed's defense and Cliff Robinson's passing?), or Tiago Splitter (Defensive version of Pau Gasol). I don't think Tiago would ever slip to us, but if he does, I hope Mullin bites on him.

10. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Those 'minor league' players kicked our butt in both Olympic and another place. So, let's not underestimate the quality of the league. If any, their competition is better than the competition in college, and there are plenty of future great players, who struggles in thier first year in college as well.</div>
    This was a good quote I wanted to bring up again. (Kwan refers to international competition and the quality of their leagues versus our colleges). I think we need to realize that these internationals have been playing ball at a very young age on a pretty high level professionally. I think they can compete as they learn to adopt to the physical play of the NBA. Shooting, dribbling, passing, recognizing offenses and defenses, that should already be there if they've been well coached and have the body and mind to do it.

11. upsidedownside7

upsidedownside7 JBB JustBBall Member

12. .cabangbang

.cabangbang BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting og15:</div><div class="quote_post">Why do you have to remind us [​IMG]

Green will definately be gone at the Warriors position, but Granger will likely still be available, though I'm not sure if he should be picked that high. Are the Warriors said to be going after a swingman? I'd think their's already enough young swingmen on the team, someone is going to have to get traded.</div>

If we take Green, Dunleavy is gone. That is for certain.

13. REREM

REREM JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting J-Rich23:</div><div class="quote_post">If we take Green, Dunleavy is gone. That is for certain.</div>
    When I look at "what can the W's do next?" ideas,contract and cap issues make many options difficult,however,Dunleavy is a guy who,in that sense is tradable. He has market value. Pietrus/Zarko can fill the void-along with a rookie. As has been suggested,J Rich might be the SF,Pietrus the G.
    If Dunleavy is apt to go,Green,Granger,Diogu are guys able to help. I expect all 3 of them to be better than Dunleavy once they have some NBA experiance. A favorite scenario of mine is dealing Dunleavy + White pre draft for a pick and drafting Granger and Diogu. I'd love to get Green but see him as a very early pick. I'd take him with the second pick in the draft.

Dunleavy may stay,for now,even if our pick is a big threat to his role at sf. I see Pietrus as ready to take a starting job. Dunleavy is well suited to a 6th man role,and could be in team plans as such

14. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

The Warriors have a definite track record of drafting differently than everyone else in the league. We took Richardson when we had Hughes (2001). Dunleavy when we had Jamison (2002). Pietrus when we had Richardson (2003). This is because we thought these were the best players available at that pick. It's a different regime under Mullin, but I think he'll go for a similar route, as it's turned out ok so far.

15. REREM

REREM JBB JustBBall Member

The internationals who were real good in the Olympics are in the NBA already,such as Ginobli,Yao,Gasol,Nene and a half dozen more. They didn't jump from 18 yr olds coming off the bench to stars of their national teams. We have been talking about guys who MIGHT become major players IN EUROPE in a year..or two..or not,and just assuming the NBA is no big leap from a youth-league overseas. None of the hyped RD 1 imports is to where he's a 10 pt scorer in Euroball yet,which is like a baseball player hitting .245 in AAA.

16. Map1986

Map1986 JBB JustBBall Member

Choices:

#1: Splitter
    #2: Petro
    #3: Taft(i don't see eric dampier, i see kobe; in that he wants to drop in this draft towards the t'wolves to lay w/ kg.
    #4: Frye

17. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Map1986:</div><div class="quote_post">Choices:

#1: Splitter
    #2: Petro
    #3: Taft(i don't see eric dampier, i see kobe; in that he wants to drop in this draft towards the t'wolves to lay w/ kg.
    #4: Frye</div>

Jeez thats pretty high for Frye. I gess I'll post mine:

1: Granger
    2: Splitter
    3: Graham
    4: Petro
    5: Taft

Petro and Graham are high on the list but i believe their stock will improve after some more workouts.

18. Map1986

Map1986 JBB JustBBall Member

i am not including anything but a 4/5 player because i doubt the warriors draft for the pg, sg, or sf position....unless green is still there or if the warriors package dunleavy w/ the #9 and fillers for maglore and the #4...cause then they would/should take green.

19. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Map1986:</div><div class="quote_post">i am not including anything but a 4/5 player because i doubt the warriors draft for the pg, sg, or sf position....unless green is still there or if the warriors package dunleavy w/ the #9 and fillers for maglore and the #4...cause then they would/should take green.</div>
    Assuming my guy drops

1.) Tiago Splitter (Has Pau Gasol/Chris Mihm offensive qualities in the post and Andris Biedrins/Jeff Foster-like qualities on the defensive end and on the glass)
    2.) Johan Petro (Great lateral movement, Can defend 3 positions like Rasheed Wallace, passes well, and is very Samuel Dalembert-like on transition offense with plenty of room to grow into a force inside in the half court)
    3.) Ike Diogu (Was Elton Brand-like in college, gets to the line, rebounds, defends, has very few flaws in his game for a power forward, size is an issue, a question mark in the NBA whether he can adapt to the small forward spot or the power forward spot, or if he is a future regular starter)
    4.) Randolph Morris (A classic big, might take a while to fully develop. Has Jamaal Magloire and Brendon Haywood (better hands) like qualities, has been known to be inconsistent)
    5.) Andray Blatche (Like Charlie Villanueva, has terrific all around skill, but is unaggressive at times. Lacks an NBA body, lacks consistency or sometimes plays down on the competition. Can dominate games in high school)
    6.) Chris Taft (An underachiever but nevertheless has great physical skills, great potential due to strength, size, and coordination. Is very Nene-like in terms of the physical package of athleticism and strength. Has drawn comparrisons to Chris Wilcox now and being able to capitalize on his talents to be a young Antonio McDyess type player)
    7.) Charlie Villauneva (Has simularities to Lamar Odom/Jonathan Bender's all around game but is working to be more of an inside player. Not very intense at times, very passive type of player, great potential to be a force inside with the ability to hit perimeter shots, pass well from the high post, and attack the basket by putting the ball on the floor)
    8.) Sean May (Good post moves, high bball IQ, not an athlete, undersized for power forward, good rebounder, might not be effective as a power forward unless he adds more range to his game. Has Clarence Weatherspoon, Mike Sweetney and Zach Randolph-like qualities to his game)
    9.) Wayne Simien (a good low post scorer, undersized, good rebounder, excellent footwork, might struggle at the next level as the majority of the undersized bigs do in the NBA. Has Marcus Fizer/Carlos Boozer/Zach Randolph/Corliss Williamson-type qualities in fancy footwork and decent shot touch from intermediate ranges)
    10.) Channing Frye (good all around skill for a big man, not that intense, not that physical. Game has comparrisons to Jarron Collins from the Utah Jazz and Chris Bosh's good attitude, lankiness and shooting touch)

Andrew Bynum has pulled out and is going to UCONN.

20. Custodianrules2

BTW, if David Lee ever falls to the second round at #40, he would absolutely be a Warrior fan favorite. The guy's got hops.