Who do we trade Troy Murphy for?

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by jason bourne, Nov 28, 2006.

1. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    From the NBA fantasy site on nba.com:
    "Age: 26 Height: 6'11'' Weight: 245 School: Notre Dame Years: 5 Role: Starting PF

Troy Murphy is a nice addition to your team in the middle rounds of your drafts. He is a proven rebounder and gives you three-point range from the power forward position. If your league counts double-doubles as a category, bump his value up, as Murphy racked up 34 last season, tied for eleventh best in the NBA. He will get you between 14 and 15 points to go with ten boards and a little less than one made three per game. Fine numbers, so what's the catch? No defense and a career average of 43.1 percent shooting from the field. That'll happen when you have no post game and rely on jumpers. To be fair, Murphy also has a deceptively quick first step and is solid from the stripe after being fouled. And it isn't every day you can draft a double-digit rebounder who can hits threes like he can.

Bottom Line: Troy will help your team get near the top in rebounding. Just be prepared for the occasional 1-for-14 nights from the field. They are part of the package.

Update: Don Nelson is bringing his unique style to the Warriors and in keeping with his small ball strategy, he is moving the 6'11" Murphy to center. Murphy seems happy to play in the middle. He should be. Most centers will have a hard time guarding him on the outside. On the flip side, Murphy figures to get punished inside by bigger, more physical centers. This move raises Murphy's value by granting him eligibility at a thin position. His threes will be a welcome asset from the center spot though his lack of blocks will not."

The guy gets 15 ppg - 10 rpg stats, but hasn't been an assist man nor a good defender in the past. He's also a bit s-l-o-w...

Murph also has left on his contract:
    2006/2007 2007/2008 2008/2009 2009/2010 2010/2011
    $8,285,714 $9,206,349 $10,126,984 $11,047,619 $11,968,253

Yow!!!

2. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

Theres no point in trying to get value for Murph, if we do we're still stuck with the same salary situation. Only thing to do is try and get an expiring contract.

3. Answer_AI03

Answer_AI03 JBB JustBBall Member

i think the warriors should work out some kind of a deal with the sixers. the sixers have webber, dalembert, and maybe even iverson as trading pieces. im not saying trade for all three players but use one of them in a deal and i think both teams could be improved. except for trading iverson, which would put the sixers in rebuilding mode, and maybe its time for that.

4. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

You'd think Murphy would fit like a glove in Nellie's offense based on how Nellie used LaFrentz, Van Horn, etc., outside shooting big men. But I like how Biedrins/Barnes/Dunleavy have played together and Murphy seems extra. However, I'm not for dumping him just to dump him because he's a good shooter and could be a good security if someone goes down.

I've got to believe that someone could use Foyle and we do not have to buy him out. Nets?

5. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

Murphy, Diogu or Pietrus, Foyle, giving back Philly's pick, and even our own pick for Webber.

Murphy, Diogu or Pietrus, Zarko for Jamison...

6. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Kwan1031 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Murphy, Diogu or Pietrus, Foyle, giving back Philly's pick, and even our own pick for Webber.

Murphy, Diogu or Pietrus, Zarko for Jamison...</div>

I hope you are being facetious. There is no way I'd even want to think about Webber bringing his tired act to the Oracle Arena. In fact you just killed my lunch appetite.

7. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Phil, Kwan is talking about salary structure. Webber and Jamison would be gone after winter '08. The books would be clean from Murphy's deal. And let's not kid ourselves about Foyle. Nobody would take him unless the plan was to dump a whole bunch of salary by the time he is up. His was lengthy even with the option year and him not even being a legit backup in Nelson's rotation. But maybe some other team wants Foyle for some strange reason... There are weirder things happening in front offices in the nba that we wonder... why?

I agree about getting the guys who are coming off the books soon. Murphy is a productive player, but he's nothing special IMO when there's no other defensive guys or shot creators who can cover his weaknesses. Murphy's stats are overrated IMO on a team whose goal, I think, is to get bigger inside, more ball movement and tougher defensively in the near future. Murphy can do those things occasionally, but it's not his real game to dish out passes, block shots, or steal the ball. Historically he's never taken the risks or really made that gutsy effort.

8. Kwan1031

Webber has less than a year remaining, and he will clear roughly 18 mils. That would cure basically any salary problem we have. We can waive him right after that or give him a 'vacation' if we wish to do so...

9. Custodianrules2

Yeah, I know what you mean, Kwan. Getting Webber would be the equivalent of dropping Foyle + Dunleavy + Murphy's deals all at once. That's like 3-4 years of guaranteed salary all gone from the books in time to re-sign guys like Pietrus/Beans/Ellis/and Ike.

Could we even swing such a trade without giving up too much of our backup plan (ie draft picks) to Philly? Philly might just want to let the deal expire and decrease their 96 mil a year team salary.

10. Kwan1031

Probably not. Philly is about to pay something like 30 mils luxury tax, and they are probably also looking forward to lose Webber's salary. Unless they get a legit reason to fill Webber's salary slot, I don't think they will move Webber. I don't think Murphy + package is a legit reason, so I am just dreaming.

But, what about taking 2 years contract like Jamison one? I just throw his name, because Washington is struggling and we can actually use Jamison. But, even if we receive a body bag, as long as that can clear some salary in two years, I am willing to throw Murphy or Foyle + something, since nobody will take Dunleavy...

11. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

Nelson already said he doesn't want Webber here after rumors that Webber wanted out of Philly.

Though his short huge contract is appealing...

12. Kwan1031

If we actually get Webber, it's most likely that he won't play a single min for us. As a matter of fact, I am not even sure he will get a press conference or a uniform...

13. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Kwan1031 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Probably not. Philly is about to pay something like 30 mils luxury tax, and they are probably also looking forward to lose Webber's salary. Unless they get a legit reason to fill Webber's salary slot, I don't think they will move Webber. I don't think Murphy + package is a legit reason, so I am just dreaming.

But, what about taking 2 years contract like Jamison one? I just throw his name, because Washington is struggling and we can actually use Jamison. But, even if we receive a body bag, as long as that can clear some salary in two years, I am willing to throw Murphy or Foyle + something, since nobody will take Dunleavy...</div>

Nobody would take Dunleavy, but they would take Foyle, huh? [​IMG] Maybe that team option year is handy for some team.

I wonder if the Sixers would just stay the course. Teams like the Knicks and Sixers are owned by the sports entertainment subsidiaries/or partnerships of major television media companies like Comcast or Cablevision. I wish we had that amount of financial backing, but not the kinds of people that would put in bad Gms to run it. They forget they cannot throw money at the problem all the time. It's who has the eye for talent and can be an all-around GM in any market/situation/etc.

14. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    <div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Yeah, I know what you mean, Kwan. Getting Webber would be the equivalent of dropping Foyle + Dunleavy + Murphy's deals all at once. That's like 3-4 years of guaranteed salary all gone from the books in time to re-sign guys like Pietrus/Beans/Ellis/and Ike.

Could we even swing such a trade without giving up too much of our backup plan (ie draft picks) to Philly? Philly might just want to let the deal expire and decrease their 96 mil a year team salary.</div>

I'd do CR2's deal in a heartbeat, but doubt Philly would do it because they take on too much contract in return:
    Player 2006/07 2007/08 2008/09 2009/10 2010/11
    Troy Murphy $8,285,714 $9,206,349 $10,126,984 $11,047,619 $11,968,253

Adonal Foyle $8,125,000 $8,937,500 $9,750,000 $10,562,500 (team option)

Mike Dunleavy (est.) $8,937,500 $9,750,000 $10,562,500 $11,407,500 $12,320,100

We'd have to toss in some goodies and take back some garbage. Maybe Baron, Murphy and MP for CWebb and Hunter or Korver or something like that. I think the only way we get rid of Foyle is buyout his contract.

15. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

Murphy for expiring contracts such as James Posey and Jason Kapono or Wayne Simien/Jerry Stackhouse/Austin Croshere/Joe Smith and DerMarr Johnson...

I think the Posey and Kapono deal is the best since Murphy would fit well next to Shaq/Alonzo and Murphy would be going to the East. Posey is a decent SF and Kapono is a very good outside shooter.

16. Kwan1031

<div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Nobody would take Dunleavy, but they would take Foyle, huh? [​IMG] Maybe that team option year is handy for some team.

I wonder if the Sixers would just stay the course. Teams like the Knicks and Sixers are owned by the sports entertainment subsidiaries of major television media companies like Comcast or Cablevision. I wish we had that amount of financial backing, but not the kinds of people that would put in bad Gms to run it. They forget they cannot throw money at the problem all the time. It's who has the eye for talent and can be an all-around GM in any market/situation/etc.</div>

Because Dunleavy has 5 years contract and he is SF. Although he is playing better, he still isn't near his contract worth, and other teams defenitely won't touch overpaid defensive liability SF. For Foyle's case, he has 3 years remaining and he still is a center. His contract isn't as long as Dunleavy's, and many teams are still trying to get a center. Also, when it comes to the garbage contracts, teams prefer shorter contracts. We may not be able to dump Foyle for expiring contract. But, if we try hard and provide enough sweetner, we may be able to trade him for a body bag with 2 years remaining...

17. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Kwan1031 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Because Dunleavy has 5 years contract and he is SF. Although he is playing better, he still isn't near his contract worth, and other teams defenitely won't touch overpaid defensive liability SF. For Foyle's case, he has 3 years remaining and he still is a center. His contract isn't as long as Dunleavy's, and many teams are still trying to get a center. Also, when it comes to the garbage contracts, teams prefer shorter contracts. We may not be able to dump Foyle for expiring contract. But, if we try hard and provide enough sweetner, we may be able to trade him for a body bag with 2 years remaining...</div>

No, I understand what you meant completely. I just think Dunleavy isn't as bad as Foyle even if they play two separate positions. But I guess it's about what's in demand in terms of players and guaranteed salary length. I don't think Dunleavy is that bad at defense, but he is slow and weak. At least he no longer gets destroyed like he used to during the 2003 year where Clif Robinson got in his face. Dunleavy has his uses as a polished hybrid type of utility player whereas Foyle the center blocks shots and maybe makes a few effort plays. Don't get me wrong though, Dunleavy is inconsistent as hell and pretty soft, but as long as we win games. I'll take Mike Miller sixth man role from him than a guy who is probably even more to blame why we lack an inside game.

18. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

Honestly, looking at the way Dunleavy is playing off the bench right now, it's possible he could actually produce semi-decently for what he gets paid. Still a bad contract, but of course nothing like Foyle, who basically gets $9 mis to sit at home and watch TV. Dun, for instance, was key last night against the Spurs.

Murph, on the other hand, he seems to be getting slower and slower. I hope it's the mask or something, but right now dude looks like he's playing in slow motion. He can still hit the outside shot, but gives little "big-man" production. The only reason why I'd be reluctant to trade him today is because GS has little to no PF choices right now.

If Ike comes back and shows he understands the offense, can rebound and stay out of foul trouble, I'd immediately try to trade Murph while he's still averaging 10/6 and has value, though we'd stil be thin at PF. OF course, that's easy for me to say, but who the hell would do a trade with GS and not demand Ike, Monta or Beans... that's what I want to know...

19. REREM

REREM JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Kwan1031 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Webber has less than a year remaining, and he will clear roughly 18 mils. That would cure basically any salary problem we have. We can waive him right after that or give him a 'vacation' if we wish to do so...</div>

Webber has the rest of this year-which was $20 mill...and next at 23 mill.
    On principal I will NEVER give a large sum to a backstabbin camel humpin' no good SOB.[​IMG] ,,,which pretty much means no Webb.

Who says we even need to worry much about the $,about Lux Tax?

We need every asset we can get our greedy fingers on to get to the top before Nellie is just to old to put up with the stress.

Cohen has plowed $$$ into the franchise---payoff...He's been a 12 year LOSER.

If I'm a rich guy-I own a franchise to be a WINNER. Nellie has opened a door nobody thought was there. Cohen is not about to blow his chance to justify ever buying into this team over a few million bucks.[​IMG] Perhaps AFTER taking his shot at a trophy-he blows it up like the A's or Marlins in Baseball.
    Taking the penny-pincher route NOW? Irrational and unlikely

20. REREM

REREM JBB JustBBall Member

My rough guess...Mullin has probed the market a bit. The "salary dump'" deals were-overall-not too good. Teams wanted enough "dump fee' that we'd be sacraficing wins now to shave off some $ later. After this season-Foyle is a guy with 2 years left. Dunleavy is not BYC. Nellie will have corrected some of the flaws some of our guys had-or were thought to have. Guys seen as okay backups at most - could look real useful.

Mullin may have a far better opportunity to make a FAVORABLE deal post season..or even at the deadline,than now.