Who do we trade Troy Murphy for?

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by jason bourne, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">REREM Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Webber has the rest of this year-which was $20 mill...and next at 23 mill.
    On principal I will NEVER give a large sum to a backstabbin camel humpin' no good SOB.[​IMG] ,,,which pretty much means no Webb.

Who says we even need to worry much about the $,about Lux Tax?

We need every asset we can get our greedy fingers on to get to the top before Nellie is just to old to put up with the stress.

Cohen has plowed $$$ into the franchise---payoff...He's been a 12 year LOSER.

If I'm a rich guy-I own a franchise to be a WINNER. Nellie has opened a door nobody thought was there. Cohen is not about to blow his chance to justify ever buying into this team over a few million bucks.[​IMG] Perhaps AFTER taking his shot at a trophy-he blows it up like the A's or Marlins in Baseball.
    Taking the penny-pincher route NOW? Irrational and unlikely</div>

Yeah, Webber actually have two years remaining, not one year.

Isn't worrying about $ and luxury tax really that hard concept? Everybody are bounded by financial restriction, and owners are also bounded by the same restriction. That's why we are worrying about finance.

Excluding one person, we all want to spend unlimited $ to build a winning franchise. Only problem is that that one person is an owner, and he happens to sign the check. Once in a while, there are owners, who will blow their $ to build a winning franchise and probably fulfill their egos. Cohan is not the one. Every owner has their bottom lines, and once that bottom line will not be met, they will do everything they can possible to recoup the loss. If we maintain our current payroll and resign Pietrus, Biedrins and Ellis, it won't end with just few extra mils. Our current payroll alone will push through luxury tax. Then, you add max contract for Biedrins, 10+ for Monta, and 7+ for Pietrus, we are talking about additional 30+ mils salaries. If we include roughly 10 mils loss for league rebate, we are talking about 70 mils payroll increase for Cohan just salary alone (our current payroll is 63 mils - roughly 10 mils league rebate). Then, he pays 5 mils to Nelson, and he still pays Monty and his 5 years contract. Just few days ago, Memphis Griz said they will cut down their payroll, because they lost 29.7 mils in 2006. Do you honestly think Cohan will just eat extra 70 mils? Our income may increase bit with better record, but it wouldn't even come close to covering additional 70 mils payroll, and in no circumstance, Cohan will agree to do so. That's why we need to dump the salary and that's why we need to worry about luxury tax.

If you ask most of owners whether they would lose 50 mils to build a winning franchise or earn 10 mils with horrible franchise, most of owners would choose to earn 10 mils. Who cares if some fans call them a cheap? Also for Cohan, we survived Arenas fiasco. So, why couldn't he let Monta go again?

Do I think it's a greed? Absolutely not. We are all bounded by financial restriction, and even Cuban is also bounded by that. That's why he let Nash go. Many fans ask owners to spend unlimited $ for the sake of winning franchise, and if that doesn't happen they cry for their greed. If they become extremely cheap, I can understand. However, if the owner, like Cohan, spend like average owners, I simply don't understand their cries. I mean, if Cohan said "OK, I will pay massive luxury tax to extend Pietrus, Biedrins and Ellis. However, I need every Warriors fans to contribute $700 from their own pockets", exactly how many fans will do so? Fans can say whatever they want, but once they are in different shoes, I highly doubt that they can maintain same philosophy...

2. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

Kwan,

Cohan is willing to pay up to the cap of course. We're not exactly crying for him to spend over it, but our complaints are directed toward Cohan for putting himself in that tough situation that make us fans plea. It's like if him and Mullin were smarter about contracts, we wouldn't be asking for him to pay massive luxury tax right? Which means we don't have to think about what we would do if we were in their shoes [​IMG]

3. Kwan1031

If fans are complaining due to poor financial management, I can understand that. After all, I complained about the finance ever since we signed Fisher. But, if fans demand Cohan to just open up the flood gate and go nuts with spending just because they made wrong decisions, I just don't see how that would be a realistic scenario. I am just trying to say that keeping this team intact while resigning Pietrus, Monta and Biedrins would be unrealistic, and how that will affect financially...

4. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Kwan1031 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">If fans are complaining due to poor financial management, I can understand that. After all, I complained about the finance ever since we signed Fisher. But, if fans demand Cohan to just open up the flood gate and go nuts with spending just because they made wrong decisions, I just don't see how that would be a realistic scenario. I am just trying to say that keeping this team intact while resigning Pietrus, Monta and Biedrins would be unrealistic, and how that will affect financially...</div>

In a sense he could lose money by not paying luxury tax. If they don't find a way to keep Beans and Ellis, I'm sure it'll piss off enough fans to not watch the Warriors anymore [​IMG]

5. Kwan1031

That's true. But the amount he would lose will not even come close to 70 mils he may have to pay by resigning Pietrus, Monta and Biedrins without dumping any salaries. And, the fan didn't exactly abandon Warriors when Arenas left. Besides, majority income usually comes from TV deals and NBA. Ticket sales do contribute to certain extent, but it's not exactly live-or-die for the owner. Most likely, Pietrus will be gone one way or the other, and we will do whatever it takes, even dumping Richardson, to keep Monta and Biedrins. Cohan may have to pay something like 10 mils luxury tax 08-09 season. But, we will lose Davis and Foyle's salary after that, so he will be safe once again...

6. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    Kwan,

How about Murphy for Kwame Brown and change? Brown has one year left, so he would be someone who'd fit your scenario.

Last season, there was the Carlos Boozer, Chris Mihm and Troy Murphy possible trade. Maybe this season, we can get a third team to give the Lakers someone they'd want and we act as facilitators of that trade with Murphy. If not the Lakers, then maybe we can do something with Chicago or Denver. There's always the Knicks as they will likely be trying to trade somebody.

I doubt the rumors for Pau Gasol are true. Can't see Memphis trading Pau.

Here are other trade rumors:
    "The HEAT Looking For Answers: Word out of Miami is change is coming? The HEAT are actively looking for a trade partner, and there are several ?veterans? that have lost Pat Riley?s support ? starting with Antoine Walker. The HEAT have been linked to Damon Stoudemire in Memphis ? which Grizzlies coach Mike Fratello shot down this weekend after Kyle Lowry went down with a season ending injury. Earl Watson has been mentioned, mainly because of his unhappiness with his role in Seattle. The HEAT have a number of interesting chips they could cash, starting with Wayne Simien and Dorell Wright, but the more likely choice might be Earl Barron. The HEAT are not the only team looking at trades, word is Denver has been snooping around looking for a trade despite their 4 game win streak, and Boston is still considered a prime candidate for a trade (3 straight losses, tends to overturn 4 straight wins) ? both teams have options Miami would consider ? Andre Miller in Denver would be a good fit for the HEAT, while Delonte West in Boston is attractive to virtually everyone. With all three teams looking for ways to turn their seasons around, don?t be surprised if one or two of them hook up in December before the holes become too big to climb out of."

7. Kwan1031

Since I am even willing to eat Webber's bloated 2 years contract to clean up the salary, I am more than willing to get Brown in return if Lakers takes any of Murphy, Dunleavy or Foyle. But, considering what Brown did last year, and Lakers being our direct rival, it probably would take more than just Murphy. I also don't mind trading for Ratliff and his two years contract.

Well, Knicks are always known for cashing in expiring contracts for some talents (which they always regret later). But, for this year, they may not take that role, simply because they waived all expiring contracts, Houston, Rose, Taylor, and Anderson (roughly 55 mils worth). Maybe, it was a foolproof measure so that Thomas won't make yet another dumb trade. I guess we can ask them to trade Rose for Foyle though.

I can see Memphis dumping Gasol. As I indicated before, Memphis lost roughly 30 mils in 2006, and they said they will cut the cost. Also, they are in the middle of ownership change, so I can see them dumping Gasol along with some of their big contracts like Miller or Cardinals and start fresh. However, I don't think we will involve in that trade talk...

8. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

I like Gasol's game but he's too slow to mix with Baron, Monta, Andris and JRich.

9. jason bourne

Law enforcement
    <div class="quote_poster">AnimeFANatic Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">In a sense he could lose money by not paying luxury tax. If they don't find a way to keep Beans and Ellis, I'm sure it'll piss off enough fans to not watch the Warriors anymore [​IMG]</div>

Cohan will lose even more money keeping Beans and Ellis and paying the lux tax. He didn't nod his head to keep Gilbert Arenas, so it's likely he'll let those guys go instead of being forced to pay the luxury tax.

Beans and Ellis could get what JRich and Murphy got. Beans can be extended, but Ellis will have to go through free agency. Thus, we'll have to figure out a way to dump equal salary. We all knew the Dunleavy extension was a disaster and was stated as such by Sports Guy when it happened. Now, it's coming back to haunt the Warriors.

I'm not sure if we can trade Murphy unless we package him with someone. Mullin has already tried to trade him this off-season with no luck. Ike won't get enough money off the table, so it would have to be someone like Baron. Baron may be a better sacrifice than JRich.

I think Foyle will get bought out eventually. It seems New Jersey would be interested in him after buyout, so Foyle should have somewhere to go. This will save some money in the future even though Foyle's salary still counts against the cap.

Murphy for a lesser contract would be the way to go. PJ Brown would be perfect, but I doubt Chicago would let him go with Ben Wallace having problems. If they end up putting Ben on the market, then maybe we can facilitate with a Murphy package somewhere down the line [​IMG].

10. Montaman

Montaman JBB JustBBall Member

I feel like trading Murphy for Kwame Brown is a huge reduction in terms of clubhouse chemisty, a huge reduction in effort, as well as an underrated reduction in terms of value. At this stage of their careers, Murphy is a known quantity, and while he has his flaws, I feel the positives outweigh the negatives. Kwame Brown is, to my mind, a known bust, and I'd rather not have him anywhere near the team.

If Don Nelson couldn't deal with Webber, can you imagine the firestorm you'd have with Kwame Brown? Since he came to the Lakers, I've constantly seen him take plays off, which is the sort of mentality that's kept us out of the playoffs this long.

11. Gohn

Gohn JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Cohan will lose even more money keeping Beans and Ellis and paying the lux tax. He didn't nod his head to keep Gilbert Arenas, so it's likely he'll let those guys go instead of being forced to pay the luxury tax.</div>
    Well, I think the Arenas fiasco was not necessarily Cohan's fault. Probably more Saint Jean's if you want to blame someone.

The warriors could only pay Arenas 36 million over six years using the exception (?). This was due their being over the cap and not having bird rights since Arenas only had a two year contract, which was the norm for second rounders at the time.

I doubt Arenas would have stayed if Cohan did nod his head. I think it was just some BS reason to make Arenas look less greedy in that situation. And the only reason he didn't nod was because he didn't want to get penalized like the Joe Smith/TWolves deal. Granted, a simple head nod can hardly be used as evidence of a under the table deal and Cohan was probably being too cautious. If I were Cohan I wouldn't promise anything either. Because there's a possibility that Arenas could have got injured that season, so Arenas was smarter to take the money when he got it.

At the same time I agree that Cohan doesn't want to pay the luxury tax

12. REREM

REREM JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">jason voorhees Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Cohan will lose even more money keeping Beans and Ellis and paying the lux tax. He didn't nod his head to keep Gilbert Arenas, so it's likely he'll let those guys go instead of being forced to pay the luxury tax.

Beans and Ellis could get what JRich and Murphy got. Beans can be extended, but Ellis will have to go through free agency. Thus, we'll have to figure out a way to dump equal salary. We all knew the Dunleavy extension was a disaster and was stated as such by Sports Guy when it happened. Now, it's coming back to haunt the Warriors.

I'm not sure if we can trade Murphy unless we package him with someone. Mullin has already tried to trade him this off-season with no luck. Ike won't get enough money off the table, so it would have to be someone like Baron. Baron may be a better sacrifice than JRich.

I think Foyle will get bought out eventually. It seems New Jersey would be interested in him after buyout, so Foyle should have somewhere to go. This will save some money in the future even though Foyle's salary still counts against the cap.

Murphy for a lesser contract would be the way to go. PJ Brown would be perfect, but I doubt Chicago would let him go with Ben Wallace having problems. If they end up putting Ben on the market, then maybe we can facilitate with a Murphy package somewhere down the line [​IMG].</div>

While Ellis will go through free agency-we will have Bird rights.
    Baron and Foyle DO expire. At season's end-Foyle or Dun could be packaged with a pick.

Murphy is young and 6-11. Look at what the Bulls got for Curry-even with the health issues. Expensive? Dalembert is expensive. So is Nene,Chandler,Ilgauskas,Kwame,Magliore,M Blount,LaFrentz and a few others who have some game and some limitations. Real world-Murphy ain't high priced. It tends to cost to build up a team

As for Lux Tax...so the Warriors have a couple of years Lux tax...teams do that. A guy like Cohen got rich elsewhere. He HAS his area where he's succeeded in making bucks. A Sports franchise is not just bottom line. It is a luxury toy for guys who HAVE made money. The toy is way more fun if you win. After not winning-Cohen will be VERY tempted to go for it when there's the opportunity.
    The Warrior's brass obviously has discussed the Lux Tax concept,just what they are willing to do,and what the limit is.

Mullin gave Dunleavy a deal with a $9 mill average. He could have probably signed Dun for under $7 mill,could have waited-let him go RFA and last summer-few teams would pay even a full MLE-about $5.5 mill. This is real money,big truckfuls. Mullin HAD to have looked at the numbers,consuled Cohen,juggled options and skipped the low-ball route FULLY AWARE that he had 2 lotto picks-Pietrus + Biedrins-in the pipeline with guys like Ike-Zarko-Monta + Taft being guys he had grabbed with expectations they would be good. So.....Why does Mully cut off his nuts to sign Dunleavy-knowing there will be more young talent soon getting their deals? Mully did not lock up Dunleavy thinking-Oh..I can just give away Baron,Murphy and J Rich. Mully wants to FIRST get the Warriors to be a real contender. Damn the torpedoes.

If the Warriors go deep into the playoffs-that's a nice chunk of revenue. If the Warriors are a WINNER for awhile-the value of the franchise can go up. Selling a franchise is where owners reap the harvest.

13. REREM

By the time Arenas exploded-halfway into his second year-there was not a thing Cohen could do. He was,no doubt,willing,but the rules tied his hands.
    The opportunity was earlier. In Arenas rookie year-pre deadline-the W's could have swapped Jamison in a cap deal,perhaps getting cap room-plus more talent (or a pick) than they ultimately got. However....Arenas was then a rd 2 pick not playing much. Such a deal-at the time,would have seemed crazy.

14. jason bourne

Law enforcement
    <div class="quote_poster">REREM Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">While Ellis will go through free agency-we will have Bird rights. Baron and Foyle DO expire. At season's end-Foyle or Dun could be packaged with a pick.

Murphy is young and 6-11. Look at what the Bulls got for Curry-even with the health issues. Expensive? Dalembert is expensive. So is Nene,Chandler,Ilgauskas,Kwame,Magliore,M Blount,LaFrentz and a few others who have some game and some limitations. Real world-Murphy ain't high priced. It tends to cost to build up a team</div>

We differ on this. I rather keep Dun the way he's playing as a sixth man than starter Murphy. We can do better on the defensive end and hopefully get someone who's more athletic and faster than Murphy. Mullin has tried to trade Murphy to no avail this past off-season, so maybe next off-season he'll find some takers as another year comes off Murphy's contract.

I doubt anyone would want to take Foyle's contract. Think he'll have to be bought out.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">As for Lux Tax...so the Warriors have a couple of years Lux tax...teams do that. A guy like Cohen got rich elsewhere. He HAS his area where he's succeeded in making bucks. A Sports franchise is not just bottom line. It is a luxury toy for guys who HAVE made money. The toy is way more fun if you win. After not winning-Cohen will be VERY tempted to go for it when there's the opportunity.
    The Warrior's brass obviously has discussed the Lux Tax concept,just what they are willing to do,and what the limit is.</div>

We differ here, too. I don't think Cohan became rich by paying luxury taxes and he hasn't shown a willingness to do so before, so don't think he'll start now. Hope smarter heads prevail and get him to agree to keep AB and Monta at all costs if we cannot cut enough salary. Better yet would be to cut some salaries this season through future planning and trades.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Mullin gave Dunleavy a deal with a $9 mill average. He could have probably signed Dun for under $7 mill,could have waited-let him go RFA and last summer-few teams would pay even a full MLE-about $5.5 mill. This is real money,big truckfuls. Mullin HAD to have looked at the numbers,consuled Cohen,juggled options and skipped the low-ball route FULLY AWARE that he had 2 lotto picks-Pietrus + Biedrins-in the pipeline with guys like Ike-Zarko-Monta + Taft being guys he had grabbed with expectations they would be good. So.....Why does Mully cut off his nuts to sign Dunleavy-knowing there will be more young talent soon getting their deals? Mully did not lock up Dunleavy thinking-Oh..I can just give away Baron,Murphy and J Rich. Mully wants to FIRST get the Warriors to be a real contender. Damn the torpedoes.</div>

We agree here. Mullin should be held responsible for his bad signings.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">If the Warriors go deep into the playoffs-that's a nice chunk of revenue. If the Warriors are a WINNER for awhile-the value of the franchise can go up. Selling a franchise is where owners reap the harvest.</div>

We're close to the playoffs with this team, but not sure if we can make it this season with the West teams getting better as they have.

15. Kwan1031

There is just no evidence that Mullin was actually planning about possible resigning of Biedrins, Pietrus and any other young stars. If Mullin seriously considered about planning our youngstars like Biedrins, there was no way Mullin would have gave 6 years contracts to Murphy, Fisher and Richardson and 5 years contracts to Dunleavy. Whether they were signed by 6 years or 4 years, it wouldn't make any difference whether that core become a contender or not. And, if Mullin couldn't resigned them by shorter terms, the logical things for him to do is to wait till the last moment, so that he could have find alternatives. If Mullin did that, I may understand the reasoning and appreciate the effort even though we might have ended up in same financial problem. Instead, Mullin resigned Richardson, Murphy and Dunelavy at the first chance he could. By doing so, he put Warriors' financial situation to the wall and provided no room to resign other young players. In other hand, there was tons of evidences that Mullin loved Dunleavy, and he just wanted to lock Dunleavy up as soon as possible and no matter what. That's what made Mullin to resign Dunelavy asap. Also, Mullin is known for making moves, which can be described as "Make move now for the present, and I will worry later". More than likely, Mullin wanted to solidify the core as soon as possible. And, he probably vastly underestimated the difficulty of dumping salaries, thinking if something happens, he could freely unload heavy contracts.

If owning sports franchises are just toys for those owners, please explain to me why so many teams are trying not to lose $? Why owners favor caproom, when those limitation only restrict themselves from spending millions after millions to upgrade their toys? And, why there are only 3 teams in NBA, that are willing to eat more than 10 mils of luxury tax? There is only handful of owners, who are willing to upgrade thier toys with massive amount of $. Yes, they are rich. However, most of owners aren't that rich or that passionate to pour millions after millions of $. I mean, if so, why couldn't we see owners like Cuban more often? In other hand, we saw basically every franchise trying not to lose money every year. They raise ticket price when they lose money, fight to death against player unions for revenue sharing, cry for the new stadium for additional revenue, and when they lose too much, the team goes to dramatic salary diet.

I do think Cohan will pay some luxury tax, and he may pay up to 10 mils. However, just because he may pay some luxury tax, that doesn't mean he will eat as much of luxury tax as he can. As I mentioned before, there are only 3 teams, who will pay 10+ mils luxury tax this year. If we ever wish to keep Pietrus, Biedrins and Monta, while maintaining the payroll, we may have to pay at least 30 mils luxury tax.

Current payroll for Cohan: 65 mils - 10 mils (no evidence on the number, but that's what I heard according to number of articles) league rebate for not going over luxury tax line = 55 mils.

Payroll for Cohan with 30 mils over the luxury tax: 95 mils + 30 mils luxury tax = 125 mils.

Do you honestly believe that Cohan will decide to increase the payroll by 70 mils? 227% increase in one season? The way Cohan acted, there isn't an evidence that he will actually pay luxury tax yet to begin with. Expecting to pay 30 mils luxury tax just isn't realistic...

16. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

I agree with Kwan, as always, on this matter. I didn't really think too much of how the general management and team salary can impact the present day situation. I mean in 2004, we were discussing this very issue and it's becoming very real possibility because nothing has changed much to ignore this worry. All we can do is hope for the best. The only move was to trade Fisher, who had value, for 3 Utah nobodies. Murphy is losing playing time and possibly falling out of favor in certain matchups, Dunleavy is a backup player (way overpaid), Barnes was showing what we kind of needed all along (defensive presence, quickness, and athleticism at the three spot to protect Murphy/Jrich). And last but not least, the discussion of trying to rid ourselves of Foyle's horrible deal. The signing of coach Montgomery and Foyle with a bevy of shoot first point guards who can't control the fastbreak, was the worst possible fit imaginable because neither came together at all for old school 5-man motion offense. Wouldn't even matter if Montgomery was a veteran coach because too many backup players were signed to be full-time starting players and they were mostly all liabilities of some sort. Our best guys were young and they like to play less disciplined, faster pace offense, and plus we had some projects that needed to mature physically and mentally.

Mullin did a good job drafting, but I can't say Mullin put Nelson/Montgomery/Musselman in very good situations. In fact, I think he sabotaged them coaches a little bit, but only Nelson had the full backing/respect of the organization and from his own players based on his reputation. I mean Mullin relies on Nelson to bail him out this year and he had to get Cohan to be less sour about bringing him back. For example, Nelson can play whoever he wants. Muss and Montgomery would probably get in trouble if they decided not to play Dunleavy at all or they didn't play any other player that was signed to 5-6 year, multimillion dollar deal. If a GM signs a guy, he wants the coach to play them. That's how it is. The ink wasn't even dry yet and Fisher/Foyle proved to be disasters without a power forward that plays like a center and shooting guard that plays like a shooting guard that can dribble/pass like a point guard. Murphy and Jrich are not those guys. Plus, Ellis, Biedrins, Ike, Pietrus were all new guys trying to get more polished or they couldn't survive the foul trouble or mistakes they kept making.

17. REREM

<div class="quote_poster">jason voorhees Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Cohan will lose even more money keeping Beans and Ellis and paying the lux tax. He didn't nod his head to keep Gilbert Arenas, so it's likely he'll let those guys go instead of being forced to pay the luxury tax.

Murphy for a lesser contract would be the way to go. PJ Brown would be perfect, but I doubt Chicago would let him go with Ben Wallace having problems. If they end up putting Ben on the market, then maybe we can facilitate with a Murphy package somewhere down the line [​IMG].</div>

...and after we turn Baron,Murphy,Foyle and whoever else into expirings we become what...another rebuild project,a team that bleeds talent at the rate it finds some.[​IMG]

What would the point be?[​IMG]

We got nothing for Jamison,Arenas,Dampier. [​IMG] We repeat. Get nothing for Baron and Murphy.[​IMG] ....next it's J rich and Dun, [​IMG] then Pietrus and Ike, [​IMG] eventually we find some excuse that we need to trade Ellis..[​IMG] .and our next generation of LOTTO picks have to re-up.[​IMG]

Foyle can get his avg $9 mill per from us for 3 years. Bought out-he may get a grand total of $6-$7 mill elsewhere....over 3 years. So...perhaps we'd buy him out...save about $2 mill a year. At season's end-he's a 2 yr deal-easier to unload. At the deadline he's 2 1/2 yrs. Perhaps Foyle and our first gets us a guy xpiring at the end of this season. Perhaps at seasons end,Dunleavy has a little value and him and a pick gets us a guy with a year or two left.

18. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

How about shipping Troy Murphy to the Nets? They've been searching for a PF since KMart left.

They have Jeff McInnis expiring contract (3.6Million) & they're fed up with Jason Collins (5.8Million, 3 years left). New Jersey could probably offer a 1st round pick or 2nd round pick aswell.

Collins has really digressed, but just a season ago he was statistically one of the defenders in the post. He was a star at Stanford, so maybe a move back to the Bay Area can get him motivated again.

He could be a valuable commodity if the Warriors make it to the post season. He's a big body to defend either PF or C when teams try to execute a halfcourt offense.

19. REREM

At seasons end-McLeod,Zarko and the 4 guys we bought out all expire. Total they add up to almost $6 mill. Pietrus is now $2.5 mill. Add 4.5 mill....that's a $7 mill contract for MP,leaving something toward our rd 2 picks and Barnes ,Roberson or both. Existing deals will escalate about $5 million,but the cap line and Lux tax line will be raised almost that.

Note-I did not factor in a rd 1. At season's end,I'd have Dunleavy and Foyle on the block,with our rd 1 attached to either. We knock a year off Foyle,or convert Dun into a 1 yr or 2 yr deal. We don't the approximate $2 mill of a guy we'd have drafted. We get,mostly-an expiring. We MIGHT even get a future rd 2 or a usable bench guy.

That offsets Monta's raise,when our expiring expires. We'd still be close to the current payroll. Biedrens however is looking likely to be rather expensive.
    Ideally-Dunleavy gets the Dump about then. I reckon we may have a year where Lux Tax costs us $10 mill or so-depending. We,however,keep most of the guys who DO play and contribute.

20. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">shapecity Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">How about shipping Troy Murphy to the Nets? They've been searching for a PF since KMart left.

They have Jeff McInnis expiring contract (3.6Million) & they're fed up with Jason Collins (5.8Million, 3 years left). New Jersey could probably offer a 1st round pick or 2nd round pick aswell.

Collins has really digressed, but just a season ago he was statistically one of the defenders in the post. He was a star at Stanford, so maybe a move back to the Bay Area can get him motivated again.

He could be a valuable commodity if the Warriors make it to the post season. He's a big body to defend either PF or C when teams try to execute a halfcourt offense.</div>

I'd do that!