Who do you guys think the Hawks will draft in first round?

Discussion in 'Atlanta Hawks' started by MLibid, Apr 9, 2007.

1. DTP

DTP BBW Elite Member

Shelden Williams could slide over to center position if they needed him to, they don't have a inside presence on the offensive end and Horford would be that for them. I don't really see nothing at all they need at that 3rd selection so if I were them I would trade down a little and try to grab someone like noah or horford and then Law.

2. valo35

valo35 BBW VIP

Shelden is to small in the division they play in, to be playing Center. Power house centers like Shaq and Howard are both in that same division, and would easily bully Williams if he was trying to play defense on them. Getting Horford would not help them much at all with the way they are now.As well as Trading down would bring them out of the range for Horford more than likely, as he will go in the top 5 probably. Noah would really just bring them defense, rebounding and energy. He would not bring them much scoring at all on the NBA level for the center position. As well as their biggest need is a playmaker point guard, that can set up the offense, and run the break. Conley is that man, and will allow them to be much better offensively. Taking Conley is what makes the most since for this team.

3. Garbajosa.n.cheese

Garbajosa.n.cheese BBW Member

Actually, I take back what I say about taking Connely early and Going after Jianlin with Indiana's pick. They should take Brandan Wright, as what happened last year may happen again. Marcus Williams, the best Point Guard in the draft was picked 20th overall, and other point guards were picked ahead of him, such as Jordan Farmar. It could happen again, like a team drafting Acie Law or something. Even then, at least they get Acie, who is at least pretty good.

4. playaofthegame

playaofthegame AYO ADRIEN!

Rajon Rondo was the best point guard in last year's draft..not Marcus Williams.The Hawks should try to get Conley Jr. They should work out a trade with Boston because they can definitely get Conley at #5 and get more value out of the whole package.I suggested a trade in the Celtics forumBoston gets:Joe Johnson#11 pickAtlanta gets:Theo Ratliff's expiring contractGerald Green#5 pick (Mike Conley)The Celtics would trade Conley for the Hawks and then trade him there in this package.

5. kingjamez

kingjamez BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (playaofthegame @ Jun 2 2007, 11:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Rajon Rondo was the best point guard in last year's draft..not Marcus Williams.The Hawks should try to get Conley Jr. They should work out a trade with Boston because they can definitely get Conley at #5 and get more value out of the whole package.I suggested a trade in the Celtics forumBoston gets:Joe Johnson#11 pickAtlanta gets:Theo Ratliff's expiring contractGerald Green#5 pick (Mike Conley)The Celtics would trade Conley for the Hawks and then trade him there in this package.</div>We'd be screwed.. Josh Smith would be our #1 option? No. I could go on for hours about how bad of a trade that would be for us..

6. playaofthegame

playaofthegame AYO ADRIEN!

No..you would get Mike Conley Jr to run your offense and have Gerald Green be the #1 option..You'd also get a sh*t load of cap space the next season to sign free agents.You do realize that GG dropped 33 on your team? And that he has potential to be a Tracy McGrady-like player and the #1 option? And that you could be one of the teams with a future top-5 PG?If anything you guys overall get the better end of that deal.

7. CelticBalla32

CelticBalla32 Basketball is back in Boston

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (playaofthegame @ Jun 3 2007, 11:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>No..you would get Mike Conley Jr to run your offense and have Gerald Green be the #1 option..

You'd also get a sh*t load of cap space the next season to sign free agents.

You do realize that GG dropped 33 on your team? And that he has potential to be a Tracy McGrady-like player and the #1 option? And that you could be one of the teams with a future top-5 PG?

If anything you guys overall get the better end of that deal.</div>
    Gerald is also nowhere near ready to be a consistent start, unless he makes giant improvements this offseason (which also would not surprise me), let alone a #1 option. And Atlanta doesn't necessarily get the better end... not now anyway. In the future, yes, a trio of Wright/Green/Conley could be awesome, but I don't see why Atlanta would trade Joe Johnson right now. I'd likely do that deal, but probably not if I was Billy Knight.

8. Xholic

Xholic BBW Member

Dream draft for me would be the Hawks nabbing Conley Jr. @ #3 and having Hawes fall to #11.That fills out two of our biggest needs at PG & C, and with players such as Sheldon and Marvin having more time under there belt, hopefully they will show alot of improvement this season, and if Conley can run a team like everyone thinks he can, then this team could make the playoffs. They would have a solid bench in Salim, Chilldress, Zaza. So that's what I am hoping happens, and it's not unrealistic to think that this might happen.... I've seen crazier things happen.

9. MLibid

MLibid BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>The consensus planning of Thursday's draft has Al Horford becoming the No. 3 pick after Portland spends the top selection on Greg Oden and Kevin Durant goes No. 2 to the Seattle (soon-to-be Oklahoma City) Sonics. While we know how much Horford will be making -- as the No. 3 choice he'll earn a minimum of $3.1 million -- no one can say which team will be paying him, because of the strong possibility that Atlanta will trade the pick.The Hawks already have a lovable young power forward in Josh Smith, in whom they've invested three years of playing time (and scores of regular-season losses) to create a 21-year-old who finished second overall in blocks with 2.9 per game last season while averaging 16.4 points, 8.6 rebounds, 3.3 assists and 1.4 steals. Smith joined Ben Wallace and Shawn Marion as the only players to rank in the top 20 in blocks, rebounds and steals, and he's done this as a former No. 17 pick whose growth makes GM Billy Knight look clairvoyant. Why would Knight want to spend the asset of the No. 3 pick on a rival power forward in Horford who would complicate one of the Hawks' strengths?A lot of teams are said to covet Horford, including No. 4 Memphis and No. 6 Milwaukee. The Hawks could trade down with either of them and then pick a player they need, like center Joakim Noah or point guard Mike Conley Jr.But the Hawks could also move the pick to Cleveland or another team hoping to trade into the draft. If the Hawks are going to pick up a young veteran by trade, they need to do so by draft night while they still have $4.6 million in cap space that permits them to take on more salary than they're trading away. That makes Atlanta a highly seductive trading partner -- but that space will vanish July 1 when its two first-round picks are automatically applied to the cap. Atlanta is in a much stronger position to trade now than it will be next month.The dynamics of Horford vs. Smith and Atlanta's momentary cap space are turning this draft into a volatile event. If we can't envision what will happen with the No. 3 pick -- and don't rule out Horford joining Atlanta as the "best player available'' -- then there's no guessing how the rest of the draft will go.It's an excellent predicament for Knight, who -- despite his league-worst 103-233 record since taking over for Pete Babcock in 2003 -- may not be far away from ending the Hawks' streak of eight losing seasons. They're all set at the wing positions with All-Star shooting guard Joe Johnson, improving small forward Marvin Williams and swingman Josh Childress, who averaged 13 points, 6.2 rebounds and 2.3 assists coming off the bench. They have a wealth of backup point guards in Speedy Claxton, Tyronn Lue and Anthony Johnson (at least one of whom may be traded next week) and backup big men in Zaza Pachulia and Shelden Williams, who will play more minutes at center next year.Knight hasn't told me so, but it's obvious from their roster that the Hawks have two needs: starters at point guard and center. Those are the two hardest positions to fill, unfortunately, but the Hawks enter the draft with the assets to round out their team (they also have the No. 11 pick).A lot depends on what they think of Noah, loved by some teams and derided by others. Noah could be an excellent fit up front for Atlanta: a passionate defender, shot-blocker and rebounder to create a new identity for the Hawks' loathsome defense, a charismatic figure to help sell tickets to their dejected fan base and an offensive playmaker who will complement Smith nicely. He also fits the Hawks' up-tempo style. His two glaring negatives can be rationalized away: His ugly shooting stroke is sure to improve through his renowned enthusiasm for hard work, and his lack of girth to defend against bigger centers is offset by the fact that Shaquille O'Neal is three years away from retirement.Knight points out that Pachulia and Shelden Williams are the only Hawks who are wide in the thighs. "They are the only two guys we have who aren't what we call narrow butts,'' Knight said. "The other guys are thin guys, slender builds, so you need some physicality on your team.''So he's looking for one more wide butt?"It depends on the butt,'' Knight said. In which case Horford may well be their pick.As much as Knight can claim the backing of his owners -- including Michael Gearon Jr., who represents the Hawks on the board of governors, and who in a conversation last week enthusiastically supported Knight's plan to build a young roster for the long term -- he needs to prove in his fifth full season that he knows what he's doing. He also has to provide positive reinforcement for his young players, who need to start winning before it's too late for them to learn.That's why it makes sense to fill the hole at center with Noah, because he can play now, and then to use their cap space in a trade for an existing NBA point guard, because at that position the Hawks can't afford to wait for Conley, Javaris Crittenton or Acie Law to spend two years adapting to the NBA.Look what has happened in Seattle, where GM Rick Sund believed he was about to realize the benefits of a young roster brimming with talent: Sund and his staff were fired before the Sonics could win. The same could happen next season in Atlanta if Knight doesn't seize this moment.</div>http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writ...nett/index.htmlAlthough this story seems interesting, I think these trade 'rumors' always happens when you have a Top 5 pick. It's interesting, but we'll just have to wait until draft day to see what really goes down. I just hope we don't do anything stupid... :doh:

10. MLibid

MLibid BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Don?t gripe if Hawks draft Horford at 3</span>By Mark Bradley | Thursday, June 21, 2007, 07:31 PMThe Atlanta Journal-ConstitutionJust because the Detroit Lions drafted dud wide receivers in years past doesn?t mean Calvin Johnson will be a similar dud. Just because the Hawks should have taken point guards with their first picks of previous drafts doesn?t mean they should take one this time.Mike Conley Jr. is a fine player who was, over the three weeks of March Madness, the NCAA tournament?s MVP. Conley is a point guard, and the Hawks, as the world knows, still lack one of those. But the guess is that they won?t make Conley the draft?s No. 3 selection, and they might not make him the No. 11 even if he?s available.The belief here is that the Hawks will keep the No. 3 pick and spend it on Al Horford. And before you start screaming, ?Another forward!?, be advised that Horford isn?t a replica of any current Hawks player. He?s a polished power forward who?s close to being a center. He?s not quite Tim Duncan, but he surely has elements of the splendid Spur about him.Horford can shoot ? he improved his jumper hugely from Florida?s first title run to its second ? and can rebound and block shots, and mostly he can pass. Like all those delightful Gators, he knows how to play. Brandan Wright could well develop into a Horford in two years? time, but Horford is already there. In a draft where there?s a gap between the top two players and everybody else, Horford seems clearly the best of the rest.He can bring to the Hawks what Billy Knight, thinking wistfully, hoped Shelden Williams would. And if you?re thinking Horford would simply wind up playing behind Josh Smith at power forward ? obviously you?d want a dead solid starter from such a lofty slot ? remember that Smith will be a free agent after next season and could be packaged, perhaps with the No. 11 pick, in a trade for a seasoned point guard. (Mike Bibby, maybe?)Even if Smith and Horford wind up on the same roster, they aren?t necessarily overlapping talents. Horford can work with his back to the basket. Smith can play small forward. (Stop me if you?ve heard this, but Knight likes guys who can man multiple positions.) And no, Horford isn?t a point guard, but there?s a greater issue: If the Hawks didn?t feel Marcus Williams, whose body and skills were more suited to the NBA than Conley?s, was worth the No. 5 pick last year, why would they believe Conley is worth the No. 3 this time?Conley is 6 feet 1 and 175 pounds. He didn?t make more than two treys in any game last season. Back when Knight and I were on speaking terms, he told me, ?So many possessions in the NBA wind up with the ball in the point guard?s hands with five seconds on the shot clock.? For that reason, I always believed he preferred Deron Williams ? who?s bigger and stronger and who shoots better from distance ? to Chris Paul. (Stop me if you?ve heard this, but Knight wound up not taking either.)For that reason, I believe there?s a guard who could well be available at No. 11 who fits what Knight wants more than Conley, more than Acie Law. Javaris Crittenton is, depending on which listing you trust, 6-4 or 6-5. He?s very strong. He shoots the trey effortlessly. He?s not yet a polished distributor, but he shows signs. Is he ready to start for an NBA team? Not in Year 1, but he?s capable of doing as Jarrett Jack did in Portland, working as a sub for a season before taking over.I don?t know that Horford and Crittenton would put the Hawks in the playoffs next season, but they would in 2009 and for several years beyond. Drafting Horford and dealing for Bibby would have greater immediate impact, but if the Hawks are serious about wanting to keep all their young players, taking this big forward and this big point guard would be, ahem, big steps forward.</div>Looks like a lot of sports analysts think we're going to draft Horford. I wouldn't mind him either, just as long as we get Acie Law at number 11, I'd be fine with that.

11. Bladow

Bladow BBW Member

Rumor in PortlandMarvin W.Speedyand #3 forRandolphJackand a 2nd round pick.Looks like a pretty even trade. ATL history of picking in the 1st round hasn't been stellar. Randolph and Jack are solid and ATL can look at a Center at pick #11.According to the salary cap it would have to be done after the pick is made so whomever ATL drafts at #3 may not be a Hawk before the night is over.Should definately be a fun and interesting draft. This year is a deep draft

12. TigerTaylor

TigerTaylor BBW Elite Member

That would be a good deal for Portland. They could pick Oden and Conley. Everyone knows their story, and they are not used to losing together, so it would bring in a winning attitude back to Portand, as well a clean attitude.

13. Bladow

Bladow BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GrizzFanTaylor @ Jun 25 2007, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>That would be a good deal for Portland. They could pick Oden and Conley. Everyone knows their story, and they are not used to losing together, so it would bring in a winning attitude back to Portand, as well a clean attitude.</div>But that doesn't solve the problem with the #3 position. I think Sergio Rodriguez and possible signing of Steve Blake would allow them to draft a 3 with nice defensive skills like Brewer. You could also maybe see Chauncy Billups being talked about too but that would probably be a long shot for the Blazers.That would be a solid Blazer lineupOdenAldridgeBrewerRoySergio/Blake

14. TigerTaylor

The Blazers are OK at SF. I don't see what everyone's deal is. They have 2 young players with potential there, and bringing in another SF will only limit them.I like this lineup for the Blazers more than that one.C- OdenPF- AldridgeSF - Webster/OutlawSG- RoyPG-ConleyThat will help team chemistry a lot I feel too. Oden and Conley are used to winning with each other, having never lost a home game since 4th grade. If you have the chance to draft both of them, I feel it's almost a no brainer. Webster is still young and has potential. Give him a chance to develop some more. Same with Outlaw too. Last season, they combined gave the Blazers a solid 17 ppg along with a lot of atheticism. Why pass on the chance to get a dominating C-PG combo with the looks of Duncan and Parker.

15. primetime

primetime Get Your Popcorn ready again

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GrizzFanTaylor @ Jun 25 2007, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>The Blazers are OK at SF. I don't see what everyone's deal is. They have 2 young players with potential there, and bringing in another SF will only limit them.</div>Considering the only SF they have that can average over 10 a game is Darius Miles, they are very weak at SF. Probably amongst the top 5 in worst starting SF.

16. TigerTaylor

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PrimeTime @ Jun 26 2007, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Considering the only SF they have that can average over 10 a game is Darius Miles, they are very weak at SF. Probably amongst the top 5 in worst starting SF.</div>They're a young developing team. They're around the bottom 5 at every position for the most part. Let them develop.I would rather have Conley at point and run with the Outlaw/Webster duo than have Sergio at PG and run with Brewer. Conley and Oden have tons of chemistry together and don't lose.

17. MLibid

MLibid BBW Member

I believe this is an Atlanta Hawks draft topic... not a Trailblazer's.

18. kingjamez

kingjamez BBW VIP

[​IMG]That would help both teams a ton. Portland fills a need at SF and at PG, we fill a need at PG and in the post. Marvin Williams would get a great chance to prove himself and I think he'd be in a great situation.. In a best case scenario I would want Joakim Noah either at 11 if he falls or move up a few spots to grab him. In the 2nd round maybe we can grab Taurean Green, Reyshawn Terry, or Jared Dudley..PG: Jack / Rodriguez / ClaxtonSG: Johnson / Childress / StoudamireSF: Smith / Childress / TerryPF: Randolph / Williams C: Noah / PachuliaI think thats a pretty solid lineup.. Thats just what I want us to do, so I don't expect us to do anything similiar..

19. TigerTaylor

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MLibid @ Jun 26 2007, 08:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I believe this is an Atlanta Hawks draft topic... not a Trailblazer's.</div>If you had been paying attention, our Blazers talk had a lot to do with a Hawk's pick trade.

20. GArenas

GArenas Wiz Fo Champz

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kingjamez @ Jun 26 2007, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>That would help both teams a ton. Portland fills a need at SF and at PG, we fill a need at PG and in the post. Marvin Williams would get a great chance to prove himself and I think he'd be in a great situation.. In a best case scenario I would want Joakim Noah either at 11 if he falls or move up a few spots to grab him. In the 2nd round maybe we can grab Taurean Green, Reyshawn Terry, or Jared Dudley..

PG: Jack / Rodriguez / Claxton

SG: Johnson / Childress / Stoudamire

SF: Smith / Childress / Terry

PF: Randolph / Williams

C: Noah / Pachulia

I think thats a pretty solid lineup.. Thats just what I want us to do, so I don't expect us to do anything similiar..</div>
    Portland keeps their first round pick in this trade, creating a chance for them to unite Conley and Oden. However, I believe that Atlanta would have to add a little more substance to the incoming players. Marvin Williams is fine but the Hawks need to give up more than Anthony Johnson and Lorenzen Wright if they want Zach Randolph incoming in this trade.

You have to remember that Portland isn't very interested in pairing Oden with Conley. They could get some better players for Randolph.

------

BTW, I doubt that Joakim Noah would ever fall to 11. It's possible but I think that the Bulls or the Kings will take him.