Who do you think will be available....

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Orion Bailey, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

Unless you combine this with a bunch of other trades to turn our young guys into 29-year old talent, this doesn't make sense.

The whole movement is to get guys Dame's age so they can grow together for a few years then contend. Horford is 29 and doesn't match up well with the ages of the rest of the team. I like Al, but I don't see him fitting in unless you make several other trades (mainly for a 25-29 year old star small forward, who doesn't take nights off).

2. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Well the idea would be you could get Horford cheap with Korver as a throw in, keeping assets to potentially make a different deal (Eric Bledsoe?) at the deadline as well. If not you had into free agency set on resigning Horford with cap space to add others.

3. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

The main problem I have with this approach is that I believe it will take 2+ years just to get any new team to really get used to each other. If you go young that works. If you start pulling in 29-year-olds then by the time you are ready to challenge, they are on the downhill side and your window is very short.

Having said that, Horford might be able to come in and kick start things while you wait for Leonard or someone else to develop. But, you better plan on trading away Davis and/or Plumlee because if Horford is on the team, then you can probably only develop one other big besides Leonard. And, if Harkless doesn't step up big time, you better look for a solution at the SF position, because I'm not convinced Aminu is the answer.

4. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

Who would you pony up for Demar Derozon at the deadline?

5. BonesJones

No one

6. BonesJones

I think we'd get rid of Davis. Leonard/Horford and Horford/Plumlee at the 4 and 5 are good combos.

I think Horford has 4 more years of high level play, just because of how he plays. If not he'll be a top 5 big off the bench behind a developed Leonard and Plumlee. There isn't really a time cap on it, it just gets us closer.

7. lawai'a

lawai'a Well-Known Member

no more coach thibs.

8. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

and why does anyone think or believe we could get Horford "cheap"? fantasy island here, time to move on

9. BonesJones

Well its conditional.
    If the Hawks regress to a fringe playoff team (which they very well could) they might want to get some sort of value since he's expiring, and they may want to go young. And it's a discussion of players who might be fucking available, not "fantasy island".

10. Hobbesarable

Hobbesarable Cartoon Character

Someone requested Fantasy Island?

11. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I actually think the roster we have is similar to what coach Bud had in Atlanta...not a lot of stars but a lot of success last season. They were playing really well in the east all last regular season and before last season, nobody thought they'd make the playoffs

HailBlazers likes this.
  12. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

so we give up assets to acquire a guy who frankly is good but not great and is injury prone and who will turn 30 next June and will likely want a max contract of what? 20 mil per? doesn't sound to "fucking good" to me, more a nightmare than fantasy

13. lawai'a

lawai'a Well-Known Member

it is a discussion of possibly available players, yes? who do you see as possibly available that our assets give us a modicum of chance to aquire that might rate as great in your estimation? it is simply a whimsical exercise in fantasy to pass the deadzone till training camp. after shooting down horford , 3 time allstar with over 60 games of playoff experience, a year younger then the recently departed(tried to make it sound like he has passed on there) LA, a very good high post passing center(avg. between 3-4 assists throughout his career), that takes over half of his shots within 10 of the basket, and makes all his attempts at around 55%. who do you see as both available at the deadline and obtainable for what we could offer for them? perhaps horfords departure from Atlanta could be facilitated by us for a 3rd party as his salary is only $12 million and his career arc as you stated would be less similar to dames. just some other possibilities for you to ponder.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  14. GriLtCheeZ

GriLtCheeZ "Well, I'm not lookin' for trouble."

Gleaming the Cubicle
    And it is the best time of the year for these types of threads too. Just something to pass the time while we are waiting for our boy Dame to drop another verse.

15. BonesJones

You forgot the part where impending few agency would lower his value, and where Atlanta might want to get younger dependant on how their season is going. And the part where his "career arc" would be longer than most because of the way he plays and the skills he has.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  16. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Bones? You didn't mention Horford was also 29. I see where your going, but it wont happen because the others are correct. This doesn't fit with putting the same age group around Dame. If Horford was MVP material, then the age wouldn't matter, like in KD's position. Otherwise, Im 99% sure NO isn't gonna bring in anyone that old.
    Keep trying. :)

17. BonesJones

Again, I don't care that he's 29! The skills he has and the way he plays should keep him at borderline all star level for 5 years in my opinion. If not he'll be one of the best bigs off the bench in the league in 2020. And that's if we don't find other peices to contend before then

18. BonesJones

This "career arc" crap is getting completely overblown.

19. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Its not about career arc, its about getting guys around Dame at the same age. You may not care that he is 29, but the front office probably does and aren't they the ones that really matter?

Agreed. with that said, read above.

20. BonesJones

Are you saying that the front office would turn dowm a great player with good fundamentals that'll last into his later 30 just because he's 29? I hope our front office isn't that dumb