Who do you think will be available....

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Orion Bailey, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Actually yes, unless there isn't any other option in the foreseeable future and I would call it smart. Not dumb. Its no secret players the same age get along better both on and off the court. I know your not that dumb. ;)

Hobbesarable likes this.
  2. Hobbesarable

Hobbesarable Cartoon Character

I believe you are correct Orion with what we've heard from Neil Olshey.

According to Olshey, our team is going build around Dame in the following way:
    Quote taken from https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...o-irrelevance-after-losing-lamarcus-aldridge/

In a different article, Olshey mentions our current model:
    Quotes taken from http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2015/07/moe_harkless_trail_blazers.html

Orion Bailey likes this.
  3. riverman

riverman Writing Team

We're going young, my question is, when can we trade Mike Rice? (I just watched courtside, ouch!)

Orion Bailey likes this.
  4. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

So you actually believe that Olshey would pass up a change at getting a good player because he's already "emerged"?

Some of you guys think we HAVE to wait 5 years to be good. And that we shouldn't take on good players that will play at the same level in the next few years because they're age doesn't "match with Dame's".
    Well this is assuming you can get him for cheap because of his expiring contact and assuming he'll want to resign. Otherwise, I wouldn't do it, but that's not because of the age thing.

He's one of the must professional guys in the league. Thered be no problems because he's 4 years older. Hopefully our locker room isn't that fragile.

My hope for next year is that we overachieve and are in the playoff hunt come trade deadline. Then we ship out Kaman, Henderson, Davis, Crabbe, future 1sts and filler for Horford and Bledsoe.

Bledsoe fits our "profile" and Horford is a perfect fit next to Meyers and Plumlee.

But if yall want to wait 5 years then alright. Guess we wouldn't explore such possibilities.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  5. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Mixed emotions about him. He seems to have sooo many fans, but man sometimes he is just blanked out at the games with long stints of silence. The other Mike seems to cover for him... searching the web or stuff like that, but. Uggh. Plus he is very jaded. I want honest commentators that will say a player sucks if he sucks, even if he is on the Blazers. Other than that, in years past, I have liked him. I think he is just getting too senial for this.

Hobbesarable likes this.
  6. Hobbesarable

He might reconsider for a talent like Durant. Of course, that means he wants to come and finish his career in Portland.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  7. Hobbesarable

I liked Steve "The Snapper" Jones when he was covering our team. He seemed genuine to me.

riverman and Orion Bailey like this.
  8. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

I can fall in line with this thinking. I also hope our lockerroom isn't that fragile. Here is where I disagree though . Your saying a 5 year turnaround if we don't do something else now? I don't get the premise. The team as is has a three year window to make it or break it in my opinion.

My point is that I don't think NO is going to bring in anyone else older than Dame. We already have a few. EDIT: Unless it is a KD type of impact player.

9. BonesJones

Im not nesscarily saying it'll be a 5 year turnaround. The shorter the turnaround the more sense it makes to bring in a player like Horford

10. BonesJones

HAH.

11. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

I think there must be more options potentially at the trade deadline though. I do agree with the shorter turnaround then age doesn't matter as much, but when trying to put a team around Dame that can compete in three years and be around for 6? I don't think Horford fits that mold.

12. BonesJones

Why doesnt he? He's an all star big with great fundamentals, defense, and he's efficient but still can spread the floor. He can play as an inside presence at center and can play as a stretch 4. He'd also be a great mentor for Meyers because of play style. In 3 years I think he'll still be at an all star level. In 6 I think he'll be a great big man option off the bench.

13. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Horford would just put us right back on the treadmill of mediocrity. Too good for a decent pick, not good enough to be taken seriously.

14. lawai'a

lawai'a Well-Known Member

was thinking that horford's value to a contender at the deadline could lead to a three way deal with him as centerpiece and us acquiring an asset upgrade or picks as facillitaitor maybe. searching for those on the same career arc/age and star talent leaves a very shallow pool of potential players. would have to be signed on first post rookie scale, restricted free agent or still on rookie contract. pretty tough criteria to meet and find that player. greg Monroe was one of those players, Bledsoe in phoenix and Harrison barnes if they can't work out an extension. maybe bogut gets hurt(actually a better than even bet) and the front office wants the repeat from GS. horford's bird rights go with. draymond green still there, cap space might facilitate but ainge with all those draft picks and assets probably cuts us out of any potential deal for a team considering the rebuild. it is just difficult to even come up with a list of 5 1b stars that wouldn't threaten dame as the alpha, be young enough
    to fit NO's age criteria, and be available.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  15. riverman

riverman Writing Team

We're just transitioning into the next generation of top tier players. Most are not household names now..look at Whiteside and Carroll and guys like that who are basically unknown factors until recently. We have a bunch of those guys now and time will tell who steps it up to become an allstar. We may already have a couple

Orion Bailey and lawai'a like this.
  16. alidarjarok

alidarjarok Bobblehead/Jersey Fanatic

I do IT for a beer distributor.
    Gosh if only we'd drafted Horford instead of Oden...

17. riverman

riverman Writing Team

18. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

We have to go super hard after Kevin Durant!!

19. lawai'a

lawai'a Well-Known Member

I think Durant still might consider being snubbed by portland for oden in the draft. remember his comment after the blown goaltending call when asked after the game? "too fuckin' bad"