Who had the better Blazer career; Roy or Aldridge?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Draco, Jul 25, 2015.

?

Who had the better Blazer career?

Poll closed Sep 25, 2015.
  1. Brandon Roy

15 vote(s)
    36.6%
  2. LaMarcus Aldridge

26 vote(s)
    63.4%
  1. OneLifeToLive

OneLifeToLive Well-Known Member

Even when Roy was going strong. LA was holding it steady. And he stayed steady through out his career until the last two years when he pushed on the gas.

LA had the better career. I still think Roy did more for the organization overall. And he was more important to it.

Orion Bailey and HailBlazers like this.
  2. OneLifeToLive

LA proved when he wanted that he could take over a game. He showed us twice in the Houston series that he could. They were amazing performances.

I don't feel he had the personality to do it consistantly the way Roy did it.

3. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

If he stayed and signed a max, he could have...and probably would have. Career numbers alone would have done it.

4. OneLifeToLive

I personally think he is the best PF in franchise history. Oddly, that's not enough for me to retire his number. I think if he is headed to the hall of fame at the end of his career that might be grounds for me to reconsider.

5. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

He's actually the worst PF in franchise history.

6. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Yeah I think I'd take Sheed over LA. I would've loved to see Sheed with Dame, Wes, Batum as teammates. Dame and Wes can take all the big shots and let Sheed do his defense or 3rd fiddle scoring spurts. Sheed just didn't want to be the vocal alpha man but with a Blazer group like that it would've been similar to the Pistons success. Dame can defer to a guy like LaMarcus if he knows its important for him to think he's the man or Dame will stand up and lead if he knows thats what is best instead. Sheed was stuck with mighty mouse as his PG and trader Bob making too many deals those last few seasons. Sheed still had 4 playoff series wins compared to LA's 1.

7. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    I think Aldridge didn't have a Blazer career. It's Roy by default.

8. MAS RipCity

MAS RipCity Mercy, Mercy

I've been thinking about this thread for a while now as it's a very interesting question. If we're going strictly by the OP's question of 'Who had the better career?' then the answer is clearly Aldridge based on longevity alone. His nine years in Portland allowed him to leave his mark all across the Rip City record books.

However, if we're discussing who had the more memorable career, then I don't think the answer is quite as clear. While Roy only played five seasons in Portland, he provided so many more moments that will live in the minds of the maniacs forever. I should also note that I was never a huge Aldridge or Roy fan. I liked them both but neither will crack my Top 10 favorite Blazers of All-Time list, so I don't have a bias either way. But there is no denying how vital Brandon was in reviving this franchise. We were the laughing stock of the league and he made us relevant again over night.

Off the top of my head, B-Roy's delivered these memorable moments:
    And here are LA's memorable moments that I can think of right now:
    While LA's back-to-back 43+ point performances against the Rockets in the 2014 playoffs meant more than any single moment that Brandon delivered, as it helped Portland do something that Brandon wasn't able to accomplish - get Portland out of the first round, I just don't think he left the lasting impression that Brandon did.

To me, I believe we got the most out of Brandon. LaMarcus, on the other hand, could have been even better; a game changer had he played with the aggression he displayed during that three month stretch of the 2010-11 season.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  9. Voodoo

Voodoo An American hero

Project Manager
    ^^^ Hell of a post MAS, I think that is a really good summary and is hard to argue with. It certainly made me reconsider my earlier statement of LMA being better, I think you are right well done!

10. Voodoo

Voodoo An American hero

Project Manager
    I hope Meyers makes us forget due to a continuation of his play against Memphis, and not a regression or something terrible like that.

11. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

Exactly, LA had stretches where he found his mojo and actually dominated the post, I remember thinking that he had finally turned the corner. But over the last two years, it's mostly been LaMarsha. His performance in the Houston series was cool, but it was also an aberration. Never in his career, before or since had he gotten that hot on the turn around fade way jumper. So to me, pointing at that is like pointing at Tony Delk's 50 point game.

Draco and Orion Bailey like this.
  12. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

All I can think of while reading this thread is "What a total goddamned shit show Kevin Pritchard's tenure turned out to be." A lot of it wasn't necessarily his fault and would have been tough to foresee or mitigate against, but talk about wasted potential. 9 years on and we have absolutely nothing to show for a number one overall pick, a number two and a number six. All of those assets gone like a fart in the wind. Wow!

Carry on.

13. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    damn.

14. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    I agree with all this