Who is the better .... Suns or the Mavericks?

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by dirkenator, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Nitro1118

Nitro1118 BBW Elite Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rok @ Apr 7 2007, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>What does that have to do with the records?</div>I'm sorry, the wording of my reply was a bit....odd. You said what does season series winner mean, and you gave the Warriors/Mavs as an example. The season series is meaningful, especially between the Suns-Mavs, as it gives each coach and team a preview of what to expect in the playoffs. By the 3rd game we likely saw the matchups we will see in the playoffs, and the 3rd and 4th game of the season series is basically what we will see come playoff time (at least that's what the past 2 years point towards).

2. the_pestilence

the_pestilence BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rok @ Apr 7 2007, 02:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Look at Warriors/Mavs, does that mean Mavs are below the Warriors?</div>you just wait!

3. Rok

Rok BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>I'm sorry, the wording of my reply was a bit....odd. You said what does season series winner mean, and you gave the Warriors/Mavs as an example. The season series is meaningful, especially between the Suns-Mavs, as it gives each coach and team a preview of what to expect in the playoffs. By the 3rd game we likely saw the matchups we will see in the playoffs, and the 3rd and 4th game of the season series is basically what we will see come playoff time (at least that's what the past 2 years point towards).</div>Your talking about the actual games, I'm talking about the win-loss record. I understand the games can have a playoff atmosphere but when it comes down to it, record wise it has jack to do with the playoff supremacy. Just because a team leads the season series, doesn't dictate how better that team is.

4. clovercelts72

clovercelts72 BBW Member

the suns.. nash, stoudamire, marion is one of the best bonds in basketball, Nobody can touch them, the suns have showed what they can do vs the mavs and they will again come playoffsjosh howard is lookin rusty

5. Nitro1118

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rok @ Apr 7 2007, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Your talking about the actual games, I'm talking about the win-loss record. I understand the games can have a playoff atmosphere but when it comes down to it, record wise it has jack to do with the playoff supremacy. Just because a team leads the season series, doesn't dictate how better that team is.</div>You're right, but a season series can factor into seeding, confidence of each team, and dictate how the coach decides to use his players to matchup to opposing team's. The Suns-Mavs season series means jacksh*t in terms of seeding, but the other 2 factors do apply to these 2 teams.But yes, in the grand scheme of things, once the playoffs start, it is a brand new ballgame.

6. Rok

Rok BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>You're right, but a season series can factor into seeding, confidence of each team, and dictate how the coach decides to use his players to matchup to opposing team's. The Suns-Mavs season series means jacksh*t in terms of seeding, but the other 2 factors do apply to these 2 teams.</div>The factor with coaching decisions is in game, not win-loss record. As for confidence, with my viewings of previous series' by Mavs, I don't believe that. Mavs have led season series' before into playoff matchups and lost. Sac is an example. Like you said, it's a blank slate. 0-0, a team might feel better going into a matchup leading the series matchup from the regular season but I bet you it's not overwhelming to the other team. And plus, that could factor in as a negative with the confident team playing too relaxed.

7. Nitro1118

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rok @ Apr 7 2007, 10:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>The factor with coaching decisions is in game, not win-loss record. As for confidence, with my viewings of previous series' by Mavs, I don't believe that. Mavs have led season series' before into playoff matchups and lost. Sac is an example. Like you said, it's a blank slate. 0-0, a team might feel better going into a matchup leading the series matchup from the regular season but I bet you it's not overwhelming to the other team. And plus, that could factor in as a negative with the confident team playing too relaxed.</div>ASUFan said the season series is tied 2-2, and that they are pretty much even teams. If the series went 0-4 for the Suns, after all the hype of Amare coming back, they'd have that huge mental hurdle come playoff time despite the clean slate. The season series' record doesn't mean too much in terms of who wins the series and what it means for the W-L column, but for the coaches and players it can be important for both matchup and confidence purposes. But yes, in terms of who actually wins the series and what it means to each teams records, it is minimal.

8. Rok

Rok BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>ASUFan said the season series is tied 2-2, and that they are pretty much even teams</div>Let me stop you there because ASUFan was not the guy I quoted. Go Warriors was. <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>If the series went 0-4 for the Suns, after all the hype of Amare coming back, they'd have that huge mental hurdle come playoff time despite the clean slate.</div>The Mavs are 1-3 against the Warriors. That must be one mental hurdle for them right? And don't respond with your talking about the Suns/Mavs. I'm talking about this as a whole, regular season matchup winners don't dictate who the better team is come playoff time. And you agree, so quit stretching this out like you always do. <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>But yes, in terms of who actually wins the series and what it means to each teams records, it is minimal.</div>Which was my point from the beginning to now. So what is your point when I clearly have no concern in your point about the coaches/players point of view during the games. It wasn't my point to begin with. You throw it out there and continue to talk about it like I give a sh*t.

9. Nitro1118

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rok @ Apr 8 2007, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Let me stop you there because ASUFan was not the guy I quoted. Go Warriors was.</div>You are correct, my fault.<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>The Mavs are 1-3 against the Warriors. That must be one mental hurdle for them right? And don't respond with your talking about the Suns/Mavs. I'm talking about this as a whole, regular season matchup winners don't dictate who the better team is come playoff time. And you agree, so quit stretching this out like you always do.</div>The Warriors aren't the 2nd best team in the league record-wise, nor have they eliminated the Mavs in the playoffs like the Suns have. Totally different scenarios. Stop bringing up the Warriors, as this is the Suns/Mavs, where the season series DOES mean something. If the Suns went 0-4 vs the Mavs after all the hype of Amare coming back, they'd have to make many changes in their matchups, their confidence would be way down, etc.. If the Suns didn't have that bad stretch of games, they'd be right with the Mavs for the #1 seed. If they went 0-4 vs the Mavs, they would only have like 1 win the whole year vs the other top 3 teams in the West. The season series, especially with these 2 teams, does have implications on record, confidence, and matchups.<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Which was my point from the beginning to now. So what is your point when I clearly have no concern in your point about the coaches/players point of view during the games. It wasn't my point to begin with. You throw it out there and continue to talk about it like I give a sh*t.</div>You made it seem like the season series means nothing, and that is not true. While there is a clean slate come playoff time, the season series between the 2 best teams in the same conference (and in this case, the league) does have meaning and in many ways affects the playoffs.If you don't give a sh*t, you wouldn't keep replying.

10. Rok

Rok BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>And season series winners prove what exactly?</div>See the plural on winners. Clearly not focusing on Mavs/Suns only, my point is based on season series winners across the board. Like you said, it's minimal on dicating a winner come playoff time. So I will bring up Warriors, Kings all I want. Least my points actually hold water instead of using what if's like "What if the Suns went 0-4 this year against the Mavs."

11. Nitro1118

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rok @ Apr 8 2007, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>See the plural on winners. Clearly not focusing on Mavs/Suns only, my point is based on season series winners across the board. Like you said, it's minimal on dicating a winner come playoff time. So I will bring up Warriors, Kings all I want. Least my points actually hold water instead of using what if's like "What if the Suns went 0-4 this year against the Mavs."</div>This is about the Mavs-Suns. As far as this topic goes, no other season series matters. With the Suns-Mavs season series, there is meaning to the series in terms of record (although Suns somewhat blew this in the last 1/4 of the year), confidence, and how the coaches decide matchups and gameplan for playoffs. The season series does mean something with these 2 teams, and yes the series' winner does have some advantages going into the playoffs. Sure, it is minimal and ultimately the best team comes out on top more often than not, but I feel it does have some bearing.