Who should the Warriors draft?

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Custodianrules2, Mar 4, 2004.

1. YayAreaFanatic

YayAreaFanatic JBB JustBBall Member

If the W's end up with the 5th...that'll be about the third best thing that's happened for oaktown. The first being JRich's development and the second being Speedy's.

The 5th pick has always been solid in recent years. Some 5ths that come to mind are Garnett, Carter, and of course JRich. If you go back a decade or so Mitch Richmond. Its a good position to be in, and I think the W's can really add to what they already have. I think the greatest needs are at C and PG. I haven't really looked at the prospects yet and haven't come up with a few good thoughts on who to take. I think we just need to sit back and watch (enjoy) the next month or so when we get to see who comes up big in the Tourney.

2. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

I am very interested in the 3 points guards in Telfair, Jameer, and Livingston. I am very interested into seeing how they compare in the pre-draft camps and stuff like that. I love Jameer, and i think he'd put an imediate impact on the Warriors. But Livingston and Telfair are very good too. Telfair has been killing his competition since his sophmore year and Livingston is a 6'7" PG(sorta like LeBron and Penny from back in the day being a tall PG). I think Telfair and Nelson might be the better players since both have good quickness and can get to any point on the floor they want.

But as i say, these pre-draft camps will be fun to see how those 3 compare. Also there will be some very good late first round pg's as well, such as Sasha, and Huertas(or the guy from Brazil compared to Steve Nash), and Raymond Felton.

It sounds like a good PG draft. Sorta like last years with LeBron, Ford, Heinrich, Wade, etc.

3. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

How can you guys be excited about a player you have never seen play before. I hate that when people talk about a high school or foreign player they have never seen before.

4. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

It's exciting because we're reading the scouting reports and possibly seeing the faces of the future stars of the NBA. If you're not too excited about it then that's too bad. I think its cool. And of course everythings up to the player because the nba has slightly different rules than international ball and high school ball, plus everyone in the nba can play.

5. Custodianrules2

I'm going with Jameer Nelson because you've seen this guy play on TV. He's kind of like Speedy Claxton in a way where he can take over a game with speed, defense, and playmaking ability. Any point guard that can create for others truly makes the offense go a lot smoother. And surely you can see this is why the warriors have struggled without Speedy running the offense and when NVE was taking away Speedy's minutes at the point.

6. openglfx

openglfx JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Warriorfansnc93:</div><div class="quote_post">I love Murphy's work ethic and would like to give him more time, but do you honestly think he would be better than K Mart? Do you think he will be a superstar player? Not a chance in hell.</div>

Honestly to me K Mart looks like junk to me. Hell if you try to compare him to Rasheed Wallace he aint even close. Murphy's jump shot is much more reliable, better work ethics, may not look as though as K Mart but I can put my money on him he is just as tough if not tougher. Murph is every bit as good as K Mart and a hell of a lot cheaper.

7. Warriorfansnc93

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">I'm going with Jameer Nelson because you've seen this guy play on TV. He's kind of like Speedy Claxton in a way where he can take over a game with speed, defense, and playmaking ability. Any point guard that can create for others truly makes the offense go a lot smoother. And surely you can see this is why the warriors have struggled without Speedy running the offense and when NVE was taking away Speedy's minutes at the point.</div>

They were saying the same thing about Jason Williams from Duke and he stunk for the bulls. As far in the euro players go it is exciting to think what might be, but people talk about these guys like they have seen them play. When in all actuality all they are going by is the scouting reports from some unreputable source. If I could pay off one of those guys to write up a fake scouting report on me, you would be excited, but that does not mean I can play.

8. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Warriorfansnc93:</div><div class="quote_post">They were saying the same thing about Jason Williams from Duke and he stunk for the bulls. </div>

Well that's just Duke for you. From legendary Duke greats Bill Hurley to Trajan Langdon to Danny Ferry and to a possible Mike Dunleavy Jr. The last superstar that was an impact franchise player was either Grant Hill or Elton Brand. Then you got above average impact players like Shane Battier and Maggette. Who knows if Jay Williams could have been good, all I know is Jameer Nelson is NOT on Duke. I mean coach K gets all McDonald's All America kids and they've got great team ball at Duke, but it justs makes some role players on the team overrated. *Cough* Dunleavy! Just watch Jameer Nelson in March Madness, we'll see if he's battle proven to go pro and be possibly the best pure point guard for the Warriors in a long, long time.

9. Warriorfansnc93

Oh, the duke curse. Please man, that is bs. It does not matter where a player plays that makes him good or bad. Jerry Rice came from Mississippi Valley St and was arguably one of the best recievers to play the game. Jason Williams was not a role player on that Duke team. He was the superstar. He was what made that team tick and he was supposed to be a no brainer, instead he turned out to be a bust. I am not saying Nelson is going to be a bust, but he sure reminds me of what Jason Williams looked like in college and I think he could end up like Jason Williams in the pros.

10. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Warriorfansnc93:</div><div class="quote_post">Oh, the duke curse. Please man, that is bs. It does not matter where a player plays that makes him good or bad. Jerry Rice came from Mississippi Valley St and was arguably one of the best recievers to play the game. Jason Williams was not a role player on that Duke team. He was the superstar. He was what made that team tick and he was supposed to be a no brainer, instead he turned out to be a bust. I am not saying Nelson is going to be a bust, but he sure reminds me of what Jason Williams looked like in college and I think he could end up like Jason Williams in the pros.</div>

First of all its Jay Williams, not Jason Williams. And the guy could have turned out to be decent had he not gotten injured in that motorbike accident. We would have seen him play out his second year at least. Was Murphy, Boozer, Nowitzki or Richardson that good in their first years? If you think Jay Williams and Jameer are the same players, you're dead wrong. Anyway, we should think about drafting a center if Jameer or any other point guards turn out to be all hype. Anyone enthused about Arujo?

11. Warriorfansnc93

Jay Williams changed his name from Jason Williams because there were too many Jason Williams in the NBA and Jason Williams from the Nets had just got down shooting, er showing his limo driver his 12 gauge. Williams did not even show promise as he played in his first season with the Bulls. He completely looked like a stiff. Go ask on the Bulls forum. I see too many similarities between Jameer and Jay to just write it off. Tell me how they are different.

12. Custodianrules2

First off, Jameer looks to be quicker than Jason Williams and able to get anywhere on the court he pleases much like Speedy Claxton. He has great lateral quickness which you need to stay in front of your man on defense. He takes care of the ball better than Williams and has much better court awareness than him. Jameer is a better playmaker and will pass first if a teammate has better chance to convert an easier basket, whereas Jay Williams is always offensive minded. Jameer can make his free throws, something that Jay Williams struggled with during his college career (high 60's). Jameer plays more under control whereas Jay Williams is turnover prone. If anything Jameer is closer to Speedy Claxton's kind of game than Jay Williams.

13. Warriorfansnc93

Thats cool. I guess I will have to do my "scouting" during the tournament.

14. kobeonfire

kobeonfire JBB JustBBall Member

Thanks for the differences- until now, Nelson reminded me A LOT of Jay Williams.

15. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting kobeonfire:</div><div class="quote_post">Thanks for the differences- until now, Nelson reminded me A LOT of Jay Williams.</div>

Well both those players have their similarities, but different games in the areas I was focussing on. It'd be like comparring Speedy's game to Marbury's game. Both like to attack the basket, both are good at one on one, but I think if you watch the two long enough you can see they have different patterns of decision making/strategy when playing the game. I think that's what I'm trying to get at. The whole point is what are their weaknesses? I know that Jay Williams doesn't have the court awareness and ballhandling control that Jameer Nelson has. I think this is also why Jameer will be able to score more consistently in the NBA level than Jay Williams in his rookie year. It's being able to play under control and ability to read angles, what the other team is doing and your own team is doing. I think Jameer processes all this information quickly and is able to act accordingly. I think this is what I see in him. I don't really look at his stats and I don't know if he'll have a defensive impact as much as Speedy has, but he can sure move quickly like Speedy can.

16. Warriorfansnc93

So who would you compare Jameer's game to in the NBA past or present?

17. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Warriorfansnc93:</div><div class="quote_post">So who would you compare Jameer's game to in the NBA past or present?</div>

I'd say Speedy Claxton, but stronger with more range and less prone to injury. And if I had Claxton at starting point guard for the next couple of years, I'd want someone that could emulate his game at both ends of the court in case Speedy goes down again. The biggest worry is the center spot. Lots of big 7 foot bodies, but all very raw and I don't know how quick. Damp is at least quick and strong, which is why he's able to play bigger, slower centers. But look how long it took Dampier to learn post moves. We don't want a big stiff like Gheorghe Muresan for the next couple of years, but we don't want to pass up on a Yao Ming if there is one and I don't think there is.

18. Custodianrules2

Don't forget that the top ranked players in the draft will most likely be big guys because you can't teach size, but what if they take too long to develop or they are just plain stiffs or not even franchise worthy? Also some of the players that are applying for the draft are really young players that you might not get results back till much later since not everyone is like Lebron or Amare Stoudamire. Also since the draft is based on the demand for quality players with size shouldn't we look at dominating speed to some degree? I think besides the center position, the point guard position is something we should invest in because NVE ain't getting any younger, Claxton might get injured frequently, and frankly our second round point guards never really pan out because we end up getting undersized twos that play as ones. If there ever is a long term solution at center, we should definitely take it. But I am not sure sure about this draft's big men talent. I just fear they are big bodies and nothing else. I know the warriors franchise has seen great centers like Wilt Chamberlain and Nate Thurmond and it might be better to wait in case one of these guys turns up in the draft or through free agency. You never know. I'd rather get Darko Millicic when he's 22 than when he's 18 I'll tell you that because you don't have to wait 5 years before he gets the "man body" and he becomes a free agent.

19. Warriorfansnc93

The thing I am worried about is the trap the Warriors fell into for the longest time. All they drafted for was size. That is why we got Foyle and Fuller. And like 3 draft picks before them because we had a bunch of guards and no big men. Now for the last few years we have gone for nothing but guards. I guess if we can get Jameer or someone that has star quality we should pick them out. But if no one is left with star quality, what do we draft for then? From there it is a gamble. No one knew coming in that Amare was going to be how he turned out.

20. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Warriorfansnc93:</div><div class="quote_post">The thing I am worried about is the trap the Warriors fell into for the longest time. All they drafted for was size. That is why we got Foyle and Fuller.</div>

Which is why I question our scouting team in the past or our GM's decision-making or faith in some of the scouts who suggested differently from Todd Fuller. That was a strong draft during that year. You could have picked a player at random on that first round list and wound up with somebody star player worthy. Instead, who did we wind up with? Anyway, If we do think about drafting an 18 year old international big man sensation we better have some scouts over in Europe and Asia watching these guys during their regular season. My thought was that I think a small number of these guys from other countries are applying for the nba draft at a young age just to get out of their country and get rich based on their freakish size, otherwise they'd look for at least one year of college to establish themselves. And maybe that is what some of these young big men will do instead of going into the NBA right away. Unless these 18 year old international players have been playing ball since they were really young and do something absolutely jaw dropping now that could make an impact in the league I wouldn't risk it if they decide to enter. They just wouldn't have the bodies or the experience to keep up in the NBA until they hit age 22 or 23, and then you'd have to sign them to new contracts just to protect your investment. What a pain.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Warriorfansnc93:</div><div class="quote_post">Now for the last few years we have gone for nothing but guards. I guess if we can get Jameer or someone that has star quality we should pick them out.</div>

Well, I think the warriors scouting team did a good job finding guys like Sprewell, Mitch Richmond, and Marculonis who were all great guards so give those drafts some credit. Did they need to draft all of them? No. But you know how Don Nelson is, he has a fondness for outside shooting guards and playing guys out of position. He's a small ball guy, which is why you won't find him able to get too excited about getting star power forwards or centers. In fact, we used to have a guy that now plays in Sacramento named...

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Warriorfansnc93:</div><div class="quote_post">But if no one is left with star quality, what do we draft for then?</div>

Take the gamble, I guess, but know the risks. Go for whoever has the best physical tools to be an impact player and if there are none, maybe the Warriors can trade draft rights to another team for somebody. There is usually always somebody of potential, but you have to have good scouts that can be trusted to select good players and find out about their background. Also I wouldn't go for the guys that have only recently learned the sport of basketball even if they do have the size. You have to have learned the sport at an earlier age than 16 if you're applying for the NBA draft when you're 18, you know what I'm saying? Lebron, Yao, Melo, all these guys were playing this sport since they were really young. All they had to do was learn how to adjust their current knowledge of basketball to the NBA level.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Warriorfansnc93:</div><div class="quote_post">No one knew coming in that Amare was going to be how he turned out.</div>

Well Amare was/is very raw and very young and that's what contributed to him being such a gamble. Right now he still has trouble with fouls, but he's got an athletic, powerful frame that is just rare for most 18 year olds to posess coming into the league until they are much, much older. If you've got a body like Lebron or Amare at age 18, scoring comes easier because not only are you strong, you're fast and athletic as well making it easier to finish around the rim in traffic. This is also why I think Dunleavy has trouble with inside scoring and taking contact, his body is just not quite there.