Who should the Warriors draft?

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Custodianrules2, Mar 4, 2004.

1. kobeonfire

kobeonfire JBB JustBBall Member

Well, what's the point of drafting another point guard that is capable of being a long-time star if we already have one that's really good- Speedy. Wehre would he fit in? This goes back to the question- draft based on position, or just draft the best player?

2. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting kobeonfire:</div><div class="quote_post">Well, what's the point of drafting another point guard that is capable of being a long-time star if we already have one that's really good- Speedy. Wehre would he fit in? This goes back to the question- draft based on position, or just draft the best player?</div>

IF Jameer Nelson is going to be that Stephon/GP/Kidd type superstar at PG then you would HAVE to make room for him, even if that meant making Speedy a back up again.

3. Warriorfansnc93

But if it came down to it and we had 2 players that could have the same type of franchise altering performance and they played center and pg, I would take the center right now because we are in good hands with speedy.

4. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

I think the Warriors just need a player that can create plays(4th quarter/clutch time). And usually those players are point guards. And especially in Musselman's system the past 2 years, the PG's have been the players that have really succeeded. And since there are so many top notch PG's in this draft(i think there's about 7 or 8 very solid PG's at least in this draft), I think the Warriors should draft a PG. If the Warriors had a second round pick, it would probably be more likely and easier to argue that the Warriors should go big no matter what in the lottery. But right now i think the Warriors should go PG. If it's Nelson, Gordon, Telfair, Livingston, Harris, Sasha, etc. i think there will be at least one PG that will be a stud. I hope the Warriors draft that one.

5. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    Someone like Speedy Claxton would be nice. I believe that Telfair would be the perfect fit and a reasonable pick depending on the pick the Warrirors get.

6. Warriorfansnc93

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trip:</div><div class="quote_post">Someone like Speedy Claxton would be nice. I believe that Telfair would be the perfect fit and a reasonable pick depending on the pick the Warrirors get.</div>

Why do you think Telfair would be a perfect fit? Because you have seen him play and his style of play is suited to the Warriors style of play? Or is it because his game meshes so smoothly with the other current Warriors players? Or is it just because he has size and he would really be a perfect fit for just about any team in the NBA that does not already have a pg named Kidd, Francis, ect?

7. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting Warriorfansnc93:</div><div class="quote_post">Why do you think Telfair would be a perfect fit? Because you have seen him play and his style of play is suited to the Warriors style of play? Or is it because his game meshes so smoothly with the other current Warriors players? Or is it just because he has size and he would really be a perfect fit for just about any team in the NBA that does not already have a pg named Kidd, Francis, ect?</div>
    He plays an uptempo kind of game, that fits the Warriors style. Goes for flash, and J-Rich will be the perfect receiver on his alley-oops.

8. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Clif25:</div><div class="quote_post">I think the Warriors just need a player that can create plays(4th quarter/clutch time). And usually those players are point guards. And especially in Musselman's system the past 2 years, the PG's have been the players that have really succeeded. And since there are so many top notch PG's in this draft(i think there's about 7 or 8 very solid PG's at least in this draft), I think the Warriors should draft a PG. If the Warriors had a second round pick, it would probably be more likely and easier to argue that the Warriors should go big no matter what in the lottery. But right now i think the Warriors should go PG. If it's Nelson, Gordon, Telfair, Livingston, Harris, Sasha, etc. i think there will be at least one PG that will be a stud. I hope the Warriors draft that one.</div>

I agree. I would opt for going for a big man if he's quality but I just don't know enough about the centers entering the draft other than the majority are 18 years old, look like they posess 16 year old bodies, and have only size to go on. Basically, projects like Darko and Tskitishvilli that won't be ready till much later or when they become free agents in the market. But I do know that this draft is strong in having many solid point guards that can run plays and keep the defense honest and this is probably the opportunity to get the best players out of this draft ready to play in the NBA right now. Plus, you know how a point takes a while to develop the nba experience right? I figure Speedy can start the next two years he's here, while the rookie comes off the bench. Then if Speedy is still holding up we can either re-sign him or just let the rookie take over. I think that is what Utah plans to do eventually with Raul Lopez over Carlos Arroyo. I think Raul Lopez will be the better point guard if he isn't now.

9. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trip:</div><div class="quote_post">He plays an uptempo kind of game, that fits the Warriors style. Goes for flash, and J-Rich will be the perfect receiver on his alley-oops.</div>

Getting a young guard would be a bonus if he has the speed, agility, natural court vision, playmaking skills, and the body, but I read in several scouting reports he can't shoot very well, which in the nba you have to be able to do to run point (also why many teams draft the undersized 2's to learn to play as 1's i.e. Allen Iverson/Steve Francis). I bet more than anything, Telfair goes for college to improve his skills. It'd be too risky if he wound up like Rashard Lewis in his rookie year with an unguaranteed second round contract. The only difference is that Rashard Lewis was unwaivable because he is a rare find in being 6'10", fast, athletic, great ballhandling and can shoot from the perimeter. What has telfair got? Unless he's unstoppable on the drive and he shows he can keep the D honest immediately in his first year, he's toast.

10. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting kobeonfire:</div><div class="quote_post">Well, what's the point of drafting another point guard that is capable of being a long-time star if we already have one that's really good- Speedy. Wehre would he fit in? This goes back to the question- draft based on position, or just draft the best player?</div>

Speedy is good but we have him for only two more years after this and then if you think about that's the year a lot of hotshot free agents are floating about the market. Also, If Speedy still has recurring injury problems like he has had every single year of his nba career, then I'd rather have the new point guard eventually take over and then have Speedy play limited minutes off the bench. Speedy is awesome, but so is a guy like Grant Hill or Terrell Brandon and you know what happened to both of those guys. When the scouting reports say "injury prone" on most of them you know its for real. Some people's bodies just can't stand the wear and tear of the sport.

11. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Warriorfansnc93:</div><div class="quote_post">IF Jameer Nelson is going to be that Stephon/GP/Kidd type superstar at PG then you would HAVE to make room for him, even if that meant making Speedy a back up again.</div>

You don't have to make Speedy a backup until his contract is over. It's simple as that. Let Speedy finish up his two more years and depending if he has stayed healthy (playing avg 36 minutes) enough to be effective during a season, management can choose to re-sign him as a starter or part of the bench (limit minutes, avoid more injury type of thing). The good thing is we would have a potential star guard in the likeness of Speedy with more range and able to take over the starting position in a couple of years if he's ready. Plus if both stay healthy, then you can rest either one on a back to back night for whomever is more tired.

12. Warriorfansnc93

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trip:</div><div class="quote_post">He plays an uptempo kind of game, that fits the Warriors style. Goes for flash, and J-Rich will be the perfect receiver on his alley-oops.</div>

How do you know this? Have you seen him play? Dont comment on a players game if you have never seen him play....

13. kobeonfire

kobeonfire JBB JustBBall Member

^ I agree. A lot ppl base their opinions on high school and overseas players on what they've heard, rather than what they've seen, but still talk about the player like they've seen them play.

14. Warriorfansnc93

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting kobeonfire:</div><div class="quote_post">^ I agree. A lot ppl base their opinions on high school and overseas players on what they've heard, rather than what they've seen, but still talk about the player like they've seen them play.</div>

[​IMG]

15. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">Getting a young guard would be a bonus if he has the speed, agility, natural court vision, playmaking skills, and the body, but I read in several scouting reports he can't shoot very well, which in the nba you have to be able to do to run point (also why many teams draft the undersized 2's to learn to play as 1's i.e. Allen Iverson/Steve Francis). I bet more than anything, Telfair goes for college to improve his skills. It'd be too risky if he wound up like Rashard Lewis in his rookie year with an unguaranteed second round contract. The only difference is that Rashard Lewis was unwaivable because he is a rare find in being 6'10", fast, athletic, great ballhandling and can shoot from the perimeter. What has telfair got? Unless he's unstoppable on the drive and he shows he can keep the D honest immediately in his first year, he's toast.</div>

Actually Telfair is extremely fast and quick and has amazing athletic ability, he has great/natural court vision, great handles and he's a playmaking machine(lots of flair). The guy has been dominating the high school AAU ranks ever since his sophmore year in high school. The guy's a prodigy. I believe my older brother played against him in Las Vegas during a tournament summer a couple of years ago. And when he came back home, he was saying how Telfair blew all the top college prospects who were seniors and juniors out of the water. The guy is sorta like LeBron in that both were very highly touted(is that a word? i guess it is now) very early in their high school days. And if shooting is his ownly weakness then that can be worked on. But his natural abilities and handles are very good.

But his size and shooting abilities are probably the two big question around him. One thing i am wondering about, is how much he knows the game and how good he is mentally. Stephon Marbury is his cousin, though, so he probably has a good feel, mentally for the game. Also i don't know anything about his defense. If he is as quick as i hear, i doubt he'd be that bad at defense.

16. Warriorfansnc93

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Clif25:</div><div class="quote_post">Actually Telfair is extremely fast and quick and has amazing athletic ability, he has great/natural court vision, great handles and he's a playmaking machine(lots of flair). The guy has been dominating the high school AAU ranks ever since his sophmore year in high school. The guy's a prodigy. I believe my older brother played against him in Las Vegas during a tournament summer a couple of years ago. And when he came back home, he was saying how Telfair blew all the top college prospects who were seniors and juniors out of the water. The guy is sorta like LeBron in that both were very highly touted(is that a word? i guess it is now) very early in their high school days. And if shooting is his ownly weakness then that can be worked on. But his natural abilities and handles are very good.

But his size and shooting abilities are probably the two big question around him. One thing i am wondering about, is how much he knows the game and how good he is mentally. Stephon Marbury is his cousin, though, so he probably has a good feel, mentally for the game. Also i don't know anything about his defense. If he is as quick as i hear, i doubt he'd be that bad at defense.</div>

Thanks for some personal insight even though it is from the 3rd person. Better than going off a scouting report.

17. Custodianrules2

The thing is that professional basketball scouts are people with opinions too, there were some that were hyping up the immortal Todd Fuller for the Warriors or busts such as Kwame Brown. And don't forget this one scout that said Dunleavy was the next Larry Bird. LOL. I laughed so hard I couldn't breathe. I think I can find the link somewhere.

18. Custodianrules2

http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/mikedunleavy.htm

LOL. I wish. But maybe. I want him to prove me wrong.

I have some other magazine articles like the Insiders, ESPN, and other college hoops magazines from last year that have said similar things, but this site pretty much says the same thing as some other scouts have said that Dunleavy is going to be the next Larry Bird.

19. Custodianrules2

I have some other magazine articles like the Insiders from last year that have said similar things, but this site pretty much says the same thing that Dunleavy is going to be the next Larry Bird.

20. Warriorfansnc93

If I was a scout I would NEVER compare a rookie to ANY hall of famer. For instance, I would have compared Dunleavy to Van Horn or Dirk, or some body worse than them who was decent in the pros. If he turns out to be better than that person, great, but if you go and compare someone to Michael or Larry, then they stink, you wonder what they were thinking