Who should the Warriors draft?

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Custodianrules2, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Warriorfansnc93:</div><div class="quote_post">If I was a scout I would NEVER compare a rookie to ANY hall of famer. For instance, I would have compared Dunleavy to Van Horn or Dirk, or some body worse than them who was decent in the pros. If he turns out to be better than that person, great, but if you go and compare someone to Michael or Larry, then they stink, you wonder what they were thinking</div>

One thing you can never compare someone to is Michael Jordan. I think they dared to when Jordan was still playing the game to guys like Sprewell when he first entered the draft. But once the years passed, there was no other shooting guard that could change a franchise like that.

2. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">One thing you can never compare someone to is Michael Jordan. I think they dared to when Jordan was still playing the game to guys like Sprewell when he first entered the draft. But once the years passed, there was no other shooting guard that could change a franchise like that.</div>

They compared Kobe and Lebron and asked if they could be the next Jordan. Lebron may end up better than Jordan if he keeps playing the way he is playing. He has a more complete game than Jordan, but I do not know if he will go off for 60pts on the Cavs every year. Oh wait, he plays for the Cavs. haha. Sprewell was considered the 2nd best shooting guard in the country next to Michael to many. Mich Richmond was a close 3rd. I used to love to watch Sprewell D up on MJ when he came to town.

3. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

Spree was compared to MJ? I thought Spree was drafted late in the first round. I would think someone being compared to MJ would be drafted a little higher.

Also on funny comparisons; i think Deshawn Stevenson was compared to MJ as well by nbadraft.net. And i think Eddie Griffin was compared to Tim Duncan(granted this was before the 2 MVPs). There are probably a ton more out there as well.

4. Warriorfansnc93

Spree was picked out of Alabama I think and he was around the 16th pick. He was compared to MJ several times after he had established himself. He was arguably the 2nd best sg in the NBA for some time. Probably up until he choked PJ.

5. kobeonfire

kobeonfire JBB JustBBall Member

Darius Miles was compared to KG, only better... LOL

6. Warriorfansnc93

Wow. I did not know that, I thought they were comparing Tyson Chandler to KG.

7. Custodianrules2

Both Chandler and D-Miles were compared to KG because they were big men that moved fast, but Chandler can't handle the ball and D-Miles couldn't shoot. I think Chris Bosh was compared to KG, but I like Bosh more than I like D Miles or Chandler because he can shoot. I'll give D-Miles credit now since he is playing great since he got out of Cleveland. Very efficient numbers and he plays good defense... when he wants to.

BTW anyone see all those Mad Magazine spoofs on the Sprewell choking P.J. Carlisimo? They had this fake how-to, step-by-step guide on how to choke your coach and all these cartoons all based on the incident. The cartoon facial expressions were a riot and probably captured to real life accounts. They had this one cartoon that showed Sprewell slowly transforming panel by panel into a snake wrapped around the coach's neck, which I thought was creative.

8. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

There are and have been a lot of comparisons to players like Pau Gasol, KG, TMac, etc over the past few years for people who are coming out of high school or who are big men coming from across the pond. If you go to hoopshype.com or nbadraft.net or anyother nba draft site, you'd see a lot of comparions to KG, TMac, and Gasol.

Quyntel Woods was compared to TMac, granted this wasn't exactly when TMac was dominating but TMac was still a good player. There will probably be a few comparisons to LeBron and Amare in the next few years as well.

9. Custodianrules2

If they are 7 feet tall and quick and seem like they have no true position, then they are compared to KG. It's pretty much automatic. Majority of them can't play SG or PG like KG can. Anybody see any good SF's in the draft? I only remember Josh Childress. He's good in the sense if you get a mid round pick but for a top 10 draft choice I'd rather have someone to build a franchise around. I guess that means changing direction again if that happens. Wait? What direction?

10. kobeonfire

kobeonfire JBB JustBBall Member

The Warriors are stupid if we get a SG or SF- that's all I can say. We already have a future problem arising with 3 good players (Piet, JR, Dun) that all deserve starter minutes...

11. Custodianrules2

Who are they tring to build around though? If there's a good SF like Kevin Garnett or some other franchise changer, I'd say take him. I hate this drafting for need. You get whoever will make the most impact on a club on both ends of the floor that can be able to play as a team. (No "I"versons and no Ricky Davis's)