Who will coach Charlotte next year?

Discussion in 'Charlotte Hornets' started by BigMo763, Apr 19, 2007.

1. BigMo763

BigMo763 Active Member

As everybody should know, Bernie Bickerstaff's contract expires at the end of this year, and both he and Michael Jordan have said that his contract will not be renewed/extended. I've heard that Jordan wants to bring in a coach who used to be an NBA player, preferably in the same mold as Avery Johnson. However, one of the names I've heard thrown out there is Jim O'Brien, the former Celtics and Sixers coach.Anyway, my question is who do you think should be the next coach of the Bobcats, and ultimately who do you think Jordan will end up hiring? Will the new coach be able to help bring their young talent along and possibly contend for a playoff spot in the next 3-4 years?

2. Rok

Rok BBW VIP

I said in another thread, Rick Adelman would be a great coach for them. I think his schemes fit what the Bobcats want to do. I don't know if he will be hired, I read on hoopshype about a lesser known coach coming in possibly. I only hope Larry Brown is not chosen.

3. BigMo763

BigMo763 Active Member

I agree about Larry Brown. Believe me, I like him as a coach, but he doesn't fit that team at all. He doesn't have the best reputation of developing, or even handling, young players, and Charlotte is a very young team. The only benefit he would bring is his defensive mindset. Hopefully for the Bobcats' sake Jordan is smart enough not to bring in Brown.Hm, I never thought about Adelman, but once I think about it, I think he would be a good fit for them...

4. BrewCityBuck

BrewCityBuck The guy with 17,000 Posts.

They will probably hire a black coach (since 80%+ of that organization is made up of black people)...I'm thinking a Butch Davis that was rumored a while back.

5. Rok

Rok BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>They will probably hire a black coach (since 80%+ of that organization is made up of black people)...I'm thinking a Butch Davis that was rumored a while back.</div>It probably wasn't meant to be humorous but I laughed when I read that.You know one thing about this offseason, is the possibility of musical chairs among coaches. I think the Iavaroni situation might affect who hires who. I know there's a longstanding rumor of him going to Toronto with Colangelo which could lead to Mitchell coaching the Cats who has ties with Bickerstaff.Or even Iavaroni coming into Charlotte.

6. CB4allstar

CB4allstar BBW Global Mod Team

Rick Adelman is a possibility...He is an above average coach, and he has been out of work for a year now...He's probably looking to get back in the NBA..I'm sure the Bobcats would like a great offensive coach like Adelman as well.

7. Roaming

Roaming Back In Black! erm...in Colour!

Rick Adelman is a good fit, but I dont know what he is going to do with these players, Morrison doesn't look to be actually developing material and I dont see a bright future for him. Whoever the next coach is, he has a lot of work to do.

8. TheAnalyst

TheAnalyst BBW Elite Member

If Sam Cassell were to retire, he would be perfect. Plenty of playing expirience and he could turn some of the young players of the Cats into stars. Especially Raymond Felton.

9. valo35

valo35 BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RaptorFan#1 @ Apr 19 2007, 03:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Rick Adelman is a good fit, but I dont know what he is going to do with these players, Morrison doesn't look to be actually developing material and I dont see a bright future for him. Whoever the next coach is, he has a lot of work to do.</div>I think Morrison has a good NBA future as a scorer. Right now his biggest problem is that his shot is off, that's nothing that alot of time shooting the ball is going to fix. He has good move, is smart, and gets open shot alot. His shot just has not been falling this season. I think Morrison will be just fine in the NBA as a bench scorer that can come in and get you those quick points off the bench that everyone wants. I personally think that Larry Brown would like this team, even though he traditionally does not do well with younger teams. This team has enough playing experience to not be completely lost on the court, and I think they can fit what he likes to do. Besides that, he would have to play the young guys, it's all he has on the team.First lets start with this team could be a good defensive team, with Emeka Okafor in the middle able to control the paint defensively, and Gerald Wallace as a very good man to man defender on the wings, and also able to get some steals. They can be a good defensive team, and that is something Larry Brown likes. Second, is that Raymond Felton would be the type of point guard he would love to coach. He is always trying to teach his point guards and guards the "right" way to play basketball, and I believe Felton is the one that will do that. His problem is trying to teach traditionally shoot first people, to be pass first guys, like Iverson, Billups, Marbury. With Felton he has that pass first kind of point guard, that can run the offense. He will also try hard on the defensive end. He is not the best defensive player, but he will try hard and contribute to the team defense. I think he could fit in well with this team, and make them very competitive and in the running for the playoffs.