Who would you rather have, Lilliard or Curry?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Nhawz, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

In terms of what? Efficiency? Nope. Playoff numbers? Nope. Shooting percentages? Nope again.

http://www.basketball-reference.com...m=1&p1=curryst01&y1=2014&p2=lillada01&y2=2014

I like Lillard. I think he has a chance to be a really good player, but it's OK to let him get there first (or not) before anointing him.

2. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    Let's get Killard into the post season and have this talk again. T-Mac was also proficient in scoring, TS% and eFG% throughout his career; yet he had never personally led his team into the second round.

What Killard has is "clutch factor". Even Curry himself admitted that the last game winning shot he had a few games ago was his first since high school. I think "clutch" is the most important factor for player worth for post season.

3. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Landry is out for the season with a torn hip, so they basically traded Jack for Iggy.

4. Elton

Elton Well-Known Member

One of the things I've always appreciated about Damian is that he's very controlled with his athleticism. He's got speed and he can dunk, but he uses it sparingly, and almost always at the right moments, which gives me
    confidence in his future longevity.

I'll take Lillard.

5. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

It’s a great question and really close; but if I was a different NBA team right now I’d rather have Curry or Irving over Lillard. Curry has proven himself for longer, Irving has proven as much as Lillard but is 2 years younger and more athletic. Irving made some amazing plays in the game against us, and he doesn’t have the supporting cast the other two benefit from. Curry is a better playmaker for teammates and his defense has improved since he entered the league. Curry and Lillard are both deadly shooters but I might have to rank Curry just a tiny bit higher.

But it’s a really close comparison, and its one of those hypotheticals where either team is most happy to stick with what they have now.

All three of these players can be a key to a championship team. Either player can setup and run a high powered offense. At the end of the day the success they have is going to come down to what teammates they have around them.

6. magnifier661

I don't think anyone would argue about Lillard vs Irving, IMO.

7. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Curry is, without a doubt, the better player. However, his durability concerns me - and I like Lillard in the 4th - so I'll keep Lillard.

8. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    +1. Curry is probably the more consistently prolific scorer and assist man although obviously Lillard can go off. Dame seems tougher and the better clutch closer. I'll take Killard/Sub-zero/Great Dame.

:matrix:

9. Nikolokolus

This is my whole point. Curry lead the Dubs into the second round just last year, where they went six games with the eventual WCF champion Spurs. Until Lillard gets to the playoffs and proves that he's this so-called "Killard," Kingspeed saying he's better than Curry RIGHT NOW is completely premature. I say all of this, thinking that Lillard is very good and has a chance to be special, but it has to be demonstrated first.

10. magnifier661

I'm 100% fine with Killard to prove it in post season. I'm quite confident that he will prove most his value there.

Killard is a heady player that reads the defense before going all kill mode. I am so excited when he's playing the same team for 7 games. I think he will make solid adjustments to his game quickly and dominate the post season.

If we make the finals and even win it, it will most likely be Killard winning the MVP. They may give it to Aldridge just because his post is important.

11. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    You guys are crazy.

12. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    But we know Lillard will get there so I'll take Lillard. Lillard leading team to 22-5 record. All that matters. Curry has never done that.

13. OneLifeToLive

OneLifeToLive Well-Known Member

Why?

I wasn't really clear in my response. Of course, I'd rather have Damian due to Stephon's injury problem. I didn't look at the question right. I think Curry is slightly better right now.

14. OregonHuskerMan

OregonHuskerMan Well-Known Member

I'll take Lillard. He is only in the beginnings of his second season and still has a great deal of room to improve. I, however, unlike most people, realize that a 23 year old can contain potential just like a 21 year old, such as Kyrie Irving, does.

Do people forget MJ came out of college as a junior? You didn't see people blasting him for his "lack of potential due to age"? It's just some bullshit people have made up. Furthermore, Irving has proven to be quite fragile every season he has played, including college. Also for those saying that they'd take Irving because he has more potential, uh Damian is 2 years younger than Steph Curry... So, yeah...

Lillard is a superstar. I've said it from pre-draft and I'll continue to say it. He will be one of the best PGs very, very soon.

15. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

How do we know Lillard will get there?

16. OneLifeToLive

OneLifeToLive Well-Known Member

I love Damian but there are concerns for me. Remember back in the days of Damon Stoudimire, how any time he would take it into the paint he would get blocked? Damian has this same issue. I made a comment in my post that Stephon is more elusive than Damian. One thing I wish is that Damian was more elusive. He relies on his strength and power when taking it inside. The problem is he is still not getting the calls like a lot of other guys. About four games ago there were several of us asking "Come one Damian, what's wrong with you?". If he is not hitting his shot from the outside, I feel he becomes limited just due to him not getting the respect when taking it in the paint and getting a call. The elusive thing is a concern for me. But let's how he continues to compensate for that.

17. Nikolokolus

Actually, no we don't. I have strong suspicions that he'll get to the playoffs, but what the team will do and what Lillard will do in that environment exists purely in our imaginations at this point.

EDIT: Also, 22-5 doesn't matter at all except for winning the first quarter, regular season championship - Parade next week.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  18. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Dame is the best PG outside the 3-point line, but an average starting PG inside the arc. Curry can kill you once he gets past his defender - either by passing or scoring. He's a MUCH better ball-handler and passer.

19. OregonHuskerMan

OregonHuskerMan Well-Known Member

He will start getting calls soon enough my friend; I am sure of it. Also, Damon Stoudamire is not a great comparison for Damian, IMO. Damian is taller, more athletic, stronger, and as I said, Damian is only in his second year in the league - I'd imagine he will continue to learn when to be more deceptive with his shots in due time. I also don't recall Dame getting blocked that often, to be honest. He seems to get the ball up there more often than not, he might not finish the play and look for fouls, but I honestly don't recall him getting blocked at a high clip.

20. crowTrobot

crowTrobot die comcast

things might change, but if the western coach's voting was held today Curry would be the top alternate guard (after fans vote in Chris Paul). right now he absolutely would be a lock.

Lillard could still make it, but it would not be at Curry's expense.