Who would you rather have, Lilliard or Curry?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Nhawz, Dec 19, 2013.

1. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

There's really only one way to properly answer this: Would either team make the trade?

Portland would say no to Curry for Lillard. I think most here will agree with that. But, I think Golden State would seriously entertain it, bringing back a very comparable talent with better health, plus the hometown hero angle.

2. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

There is zero change Golden State is interested in that trade. Although I bet some of their fans think Portland would want to trade Lillard for Curry.

3. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Lillard.

/thread

4. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

I'd be more convinced by such a strong statement if you supported it.

5. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Was just reading a thread on a Warriors board the other day where a lot of W's fans were saying they'd trade Curry for Lillard all day.

Like most others have said, Curry's better right now, but Dame is far from a finished product.

6. Sedatedfork

Sedatedfork Rip City Rhapsody

Curry has injury history. Plus, I think that Lillard is much better at creating his own shot. Both can be clutch, but Lillard just seems to have more of that. Maybe it is because I pay attention to him more, idk. Like them both. Tough choice, but I go Lillard.

7. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    Really? If that's true, I think it speaks highly of each player.

8. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    I can see it with my own eyes. I've watched every game of his professional career. It is obvious to me.
    Quarter?? Actually it's the first THIRD. And Curry didn't suddenly become a great player because he won a playoff series. He just had a chance on a big stage to show who he always was. Put Lillard in Curry's place last year, he would've taken them at least as far. Only difference between Warriors and Blazers last year was the bench. They let their bench go and now Curry is leading his team to the lottery. Is Curry now a worse player??

9. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Lillard, hands down...Curry is an incredible player with degenerating ankles. Lillard has a future that Curry may never have. I think Damian was better as a rookie and this year as a sophmore but Curry has skills way beyond Dame's ability now. I just think Damian will have the longer, more productive long term career.

10. Run BJM

Agreed. It was similar to the reactions on here- pretty split between the two. Curry's better now with better raw stats at this point, his court vision is definitively better, but Dame is healthier, younger, more athletic, and seems to have a hell of a clutch gene (plus hes an Oakland native). Some people like one more than the other for whatever reasons.

11. ehizzy3

ehizzy3 RIP mgb

you must have missed curry at davidson

12. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    I did miss him. I'm just going with what curry said to the media after his last game winner. This isn't my opinion, this was Curry's actual words.

13. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    Clutch.

Gene.

14. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I really like Curry. Dude is a throwback with his ability to shoot. I have the same concerns about Steph that I have about Kyrie though. They can't seem to stay healthy. The bigger question is whether you'd take Steph or Kyrie. Honestly, I'd probably take Steph. I think Irving is a truly gifted athlete, but I'm not convinced that he makes anyone around him better. The two are so good, but at two different things. Irving can seem to get to the hole at will, while Steph is probably the best pure shooter in the league.

15. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Lillard is shooting threes at a better percentage than Curry.

16. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Yeah, but Curry is destroying him in every other aspect of shooting, while still shooting very well from three.

Curry - 46% FG
    Dame - 41% FG

Curry - 41% from three
    Dame - 43% from three

Curry - 60% TS%
    Dame - 57% TS%

Curry - 55% EFG%
    Dame - 50% EFG%

Dame has a higher ORTG, which is good, and he has a higher FTA rate, which is also good, but we're talking pure shooting. Curry is a better pure shooter.

17. Nhawz

Nhawz Lickety Brindle

I dont agree with this. I feel as if Lillard will be the best player on the team, as early as late next season if not this year barring injuries. Just this morning on NBA.com they are putting him in MVP talks this season. The guy is lights out from anywhere on the floor, is a good passer and decent defender right now. He has the work ethic and drive to improve his distributing and defense, and we already know the guy wants and will take the shot with the game on the line. He has a superstar swagger to him as a sophmore in this league. Yes Lamarcus is a certified superstar right now but your telling me Dame dosent have the potential to be a more valuable player in this league?

18. Nhawz

Nhawz Lickety Brindle

No way I would trade the two straight across.

19. borim69

borim69 Well-Known Member

I like Mr. Lillard and what he does for this team.The fiasco surrounding the Broy and Oden drafts with injuries, we can probably put Elliot Williams in that category, and with the drafting of Babbit and Nolan not quite the picks they would turn out to be. Mr. Lillard is a breath of fresh air. He may not be as good as Curry stat wise but I believe he brings a lot more to the table than stats. The maturity he brings is better than what Curry has and injury prone issues right now are a plus for Lillard. Also I think Lillard's end game is better but I have not seen enough of Curry to play to grade that so I might be biased there.

20. Run BJM

Before this season I would definitely have wanted to trade Steph for Kyrie. But Kyrie isn't having a great season. Steph looks like he's elevated his game yet again. In December in particular hes averaging 29/10 on 48% FGs and, perhaps most notably, hes averaging 7 FTA per game as hes been getting to the rim much more frequently (no surprise that his dribble penetration is leading to more assists as well). Still turns the ball over a ton though. It seemed like last season Kyrie was better, but now I think Steph is better. Kyrie still younger obviously and playing with a pretty meh supporting cast.

And for what its worth Curry has played in 102/109 regular season games since playing only 26 games in '11-'12. Every other season he's played over 74 games.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013