Who would you trade JRich for?

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by jason bourne, Nov 22, 2006.

1. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

Ray Allen and JRich are not even close. Numbers tell the same story as if Murphy's 10 R/gm last year were the same as Ben Wallace's 10R/gm. Not even close.

Ray Allen scores in tight defense and in close situations. JRich, I love and admire his effort and desire, but he simply comes up short against tight defense and close situations. He gets the majority of his points in transition and I hate to recall the number of clutch FT situations in the past 2 years where he's come up small.

We could trade him but we are not going to get an elite shooter in exchange, maybe some like Mike Miller (like a Wally Sczerbiak trade), that's it.

2. Skiptomylue11

Skiptomylue11 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">AnimeFANatic Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">You're right, it is too high. But then again we have a GM who gave Foyle 40 mil and Dunleavy 44 mil.</div>
    Well he traded away Fisher, so he might have realised he made a few mistakes.

As well, the cap situation due to those contracts probably has helped him realise that he can't sign all the remaining warriors to those contracts and not have a salary total of 80 million. and the Owner of the Warriors probably doesn't want to be 20 mill or whatever over the salary cap.

3. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">SkiptoMyLue11 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Doesn't a 40-50 mill contract sound way too high for MP? I was guessing 25-35.</div>

Hes having a good season averaging about 14 ppg, 6 rpg, 1 spg, 1 bpg on 52% shooting and 38% 3 pt FG plus playing good defense on PGs, SGs, SFs, and PFs. If he starts those could rise to around 16ppg/7rpg/1+spg/1+bpg. Maybe 25-35 is right but thats still 5-7 mils per year and I really can't see us keeping him if he costs more than 6 mil a year.

4. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">AnimeFANatic Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Funny how Mullin signed Murphy, Foyle, Dunleavy, and Fisher to long ridiculous contracts to keep together our "core" players. But it turns out our real core players are everyone except those players.</div>

Hehe, exactly...ugh!

Dunleavy's $$ --> MP

Murphy's $$ --> Beans

Foyle's $$ --> Ike (okay this one's a bit of a stretch at the moment)

Fisher's $$ --> Monta

5. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    <div class="quote_poster">Run BJM Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">The way I understand it if we declined the third year option he would be an unrestricted FA and we couldn't match any offer for him.</div>

I'm not sure about that. A player who has three years or less in the league can't be an unrestricted FA. There are limits in place as to when someone can be restricted and that is one of the conditions.

Anyway the Warriors should pick up the team option next year and we'll still have another year to figure out how to keep Monta and Andris.

6. jason bourne

Law enforcement
    <div class="quote_poster">AlleyOop Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Hehe, exactly...ugh!

Dunleavy's $$ --> MP

Murphy's $$ --> Beans

Foyle's $$ --> Ike (okay this one's a bit of a stretch at the moment)

Fisher's $$ --> Monta</div>

LOL. I can't figure Mullin out. For a guy who does well in evaluating draft picks, how come he sucks so bad when it comes to veteran players. It's like shooting 0 for 4 from the free throw line.

7. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

Tim Kawakami said:

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">If there's any consistent them I have with this team is that they hesitate too much over mediocrity, which often prevents them from grabbing at the really good stuff.</div>

This pretty much sums up 12 years and running. And it doesn't look like it will end.

Cohan! Pay Luxury tax! PLEASE!

8. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

For Monta, I don't know he is restricted or not. If you are a first rounder, you become a restricted FA at the end of 4th year. However, I am not sure about 2nd rounder. As a matter of fact, it was debated whether Marc Jackson was a restricted FA or not. But, because he was drafted 98 (before 99 CBA), he became a restricted FA. If that is the case, 2nd rounder after 99 may become unrestricted FA. However, I am just guessing, and it might have changed with Arenas rule. Either that or we may lose Monta, and NBA will make new Ellis rule to make 2nd rounder restricted...

I would definitely resign Biedrins first. As good as Monta has been, Biedrins is 7 foot double-double machine with defensive force. Also, he can circle around any centers in the league with his quickness. Those type of talent just don't come very often, and we already saw how Biedrins can change the game even when he still is extremely raw. At this rate, he will definitely receive max contract at the end of 4th year, so I hope we can resign him after this season for like 10-12 mils, if that's possible.

For Webber, I simply don't see Philly trading him. Philly has 96 mils payroll, and they are not going anywhere. If I were Philly owner, I would desperately try to shave luxury tax, instead of paying another millions of luxury tax by receiving Murphy like contract.

We simply can't afford to keep Pietrus. So, if we can cash him, I am all for it. Maybe something like him and Foyle for an expiring contract...

9. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

I agree, Kwan, Andris should be the top priority. With Monta, there is still some questions I have about whether he'll be able to convert to a point guard, lower his turnovers, be more consistent (he kind of disappeared for a game and a half last week after his 31-point outbursts) or take an 82-game pounding in the NBA. Fortunately the Warriors have some time with which to evaluate this. Whereas I have little doubt now that Andris is the real deal. I have a hard time picturing what he's doing now being a fluke, he clearly has the skills and is only getting better. I can't think of very many big men in the game right now that I'd trade him straight up for. He is going to have a big payday coming, but unlike Foyle he's going to deserve it. I also think he likes playing for Nellie, that may be a factor in our favor.

Personally, I would rank our resigning priorities as follows:

1. Andris
    2. Monta
    3. Ike
    4. MP

I would certainly trade Murphy and or MP to resign any of the top 3, and I would consider trading JRich (if absolutely necessary) to sign Andris and Monta.

10. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

I hope Ike gets back on the floor soon and has a chance to prove himself. It'll suck if he gets "tossed in" to a trade because he's been kind of a sleeper this year with injuries.

The way Beans, Pietrus, Monta and even Barnes have been stepping up, it's easy to overlook the Nigerian Nightmare quietly riding pine right now. The way GS has been hurting inside this year (Utah game was an abberation) we need our big prospects to turn out, and I'm kind of counting on Ike to fill that quality PF spot, at least vie for equal minutes with Murph at some point. But it's hard to see with the way he's missed practice and hasn't earned favor with Nellie. Just don't "tack" him onto some trade as a "sweetener," please!

11. REREM

REREM JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">AlleyOop Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">If the Warriors lose Monta Ellis I'll puke

-- perhaps that's a decent reason to consider trades that involve JRich -- the only way to dump Foyle is to offer something enticing -- packaging Foyle with an asset like JRich might be the only way to clear room.</div>

The WHOLE POINT of the Arenas rule is to allow a team with a good rd 2 guy,pretty much the same type options as if he were a rd 1. We WILL be able to match in an RFA situation. In ANY situation we will have Bird rights-no matter what the payroll.

The Warriors are prepared to fend off bidders for those players they consider keepers. There have been vague hints that includes paying some Lux Tax.
    Would Mullin have bet ALL his stake on Dunleavy? He signed him before he had to,to a deal that only a real optimist would expect Dun would ever get on the open Market. If he KNEW there would be a tight no Lux Tax policy---he'd low ball. We HAD lotto picks in the pipeline-more picks to come. Mullin drafted them expecting results--why cut that off for Dunleavy? Well-the answer is he was NOT cutting off those options. Mullin shows no inclination to dump keepers for cap space or even to sacrafice much to dump Foyle at this time. After this season-2 yrs of Foyle is easier to unload than 3.
    Nellie may not make Dun have trade value--but could make his value less negative. We might sweeten up a deal with a pick. Irregardless....The Warriors will likely KEEP Monta-Pietrus-Biedrens. They probably won't be inclined to do any desperate dump deals. The ideas we dump Murphy or J Rich to remove Foyle---unlikely and not nessecery.
    Murphy is a big man who scores-rebounds-DOES NOT FOUL OUT. Biedrens and Ike-so far-can get in foul trouble. Nobody wants to rely on Foyle-Dun as the C-PF due to fouls or injury. We have had some nice suprises from Andy-MP-Monta...but J Rich has been a PROVEN go-to scorer and UNTIL another guy is PROVEN-J Rich is still very important.

12. jason bourne

Law enforcement
    <div class="quote_poster">HiRez Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I would certainly trade Murphy and or MP to resign any of the top 3, and I would consider trading JRich (if absolutely necessary) to sign Andris and Monta.</div>

I agree with putting AB first and then Monta close behind. Both are key in my book because Baron can't seem to play a whole season. The Warriors also need a backup PG unless McLeod can step it up or Roberson can demonstrate he can handle some minutes there (he needs to get his shot to go down first!).

Murphy and Foyle are at the top of my trade list. Also, I wouldn't hesitate to do MP and Zarko trades. Don't think we can re-sign MP and even he doesn't think he'll be with the Warriors. I'd hesitate on trading Ike. He needs to come back and healthy and get some minutes in Nelson's system. Finally, I'd consider JRich trades if we could get someone who will make an impact on the team.

13. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

<div class="quote_poster">REREM Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">The WHOLE POINT of the Arenas rule is to allow a team with a good rd 2 guy,pretty much the same type options as if he were a rd 1. We WILL be able to match in an RFA situation. In ANY situation we will have Bird rights-no matter what the payroll.

The Warriors are prepared to fend off bidders for those players they consider keepers. There have been vague hints that includes paying some Lux Tax.
    Would Mullin have bet ALL his stake on Dunleavy? He signed him before he had to,to a deal that only a real optimist would expect Dun would ever get on the open Market. If he KNEW there would be a tight no Lux Tax policy---he'd low ball. We HAD lotto picks in the pipeline-more picks to come. Mullin drafted them expecting results--why cut that off for Dunleavy? Well-the answer is he was NOT cutting off those options. Mullin shows no inclination to dump keepers for cap space or even to sacrafice much to dump Foyle at this time. After this season-2 yrs of Foyle is easier to unload than 3.
    Nellie may not make Dun have trade value--but could make his value less negative. We might sweeten up a deal with a pick. Irregardless....The Warriors will likely KEEP Monta-Pietrus-Biedrens. They probably won't be inclined to do any desperate dump deals. The ideas we dump Murphy or J Rich to remove Foyle---unlikely and not nessecery.
    Murphy is a big man who scores-rebounds-DOES NOT FOUL OUT. Biedrens and Ike-so far-can get in foul trouble. Nobody wants to rely on Foyle-Dun as the C-PF due to fouls or injury. We have had some nice suprises from Andy-MP-Monta...but J Rich has been a PROVEN go-to scorer and UNTIL another guy is PROVEN-J Rich is still very important.</div>

Man, I sure hope so. Because Mullin is looking pretty cornered after his first two years and managing everything else besides drafting. He really relies on Nelson at this point or else he's got to coach his own team like Isiah. [​IMG]

14. Kwan1031

For Diogu, I believe there is a fairly good chance of him being dangled for salary dump. First, we do need to dump salaries as much as possible, and Diogu and Pietrus to a certain extent are only players other teams want. Second, Nelson isn't exactly a big fan of Diogu yet. In Nelson's coaching career, he didn't exactly work well with undersized PF. Also, in order to become a PF under Nelson's system, you must play some center. Diogu hasn't shown that ability. Then, now we got Biedrins in the middle, and he is providing rebounding, blocking and some offense/defense in the middle, which we hope to get from Diogu. Third, we just can't develop every single talents in this club.

In ideal situation, we would like to package either Pietrus or Diogu + Murphy for expiring contract, and we can somehow reduce Foyle's 3 years contract into 2 years contract. Or, if we are really lucky enough, Cohan will just bite some serious luxury tax for a year. What about Pietrus, Murphy and Zarko for Jamison?

15. Kwan1031

<div class="quote_poster">REREM Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">The WHOLE POINT of the Arenas rule is to allow a team with a good rd 2 guy,pretty much the same type options as if he were a rd 1. We WILL be able to match in an RFA situation. In ANY situation we will have Bird rights-no matter what the payroll.

Murphy is a big man who scores-rebounds-DOES NOT FOUL OUT. Biedrens and Ike-so far-can get in foul trouble. Nobody wants to rely on Foyle-Dun as the C-PF due to fouls or injury. We have had some nice suprises from Andy-MP-Monta...but J Rich has been a PROVEN go-to scorer and UNTIL another guy is PROVEN-J Rich is still very important.</div>

Well, I wish I can share the optimism, but there are number of reasons that prevent me from doing so.

First, Arenas rule applies to 2nd years or less 2nd rounders. We signed Monta for 3 years, so we will get a bird right, so Arenas rule doesn't apply here. However, just because we got a bird right, that does not make him a restricted FA. If 2nd rounder also becomes a restrcted FA, we don't have to worry about Monta. However, if not, Monta is free to go.

Second, Mullin must knew we would be very tight with luxury tax. Heck, if a normal guy like I could figure out about our financial situation and luxury tax years ago, he must knew what he is doing. Either he knew Cohan would pay luxury tax, or he just didn't think we won't need to resign any of our young players until Davis and Foyle's contracts run out, so he put every eggs in Dunleavy's basket. Either cases, we are already dangerously close to the luxury tax, and Cohan really didn't show any indication that he will pay luxury tax yet. And, Mullin already got rid of Fisher's contract, so there has been a movement that Mullin is ready to reduce payroll. For Foyle's case, trading him now or later really doesn't make any difference. Because we are trying to reduce year's of contract, and whether we are trying to get 2 years contract with Foyle's 3 years contract or 1 year contract with Foyle's 2 years contract, it's basically the same thing. As a matter of fact, getting an expiring contract for 2 years contract may be harder to get. That has been said, with some sweetner, we may be able to reduce his contract by a year, because he is a center.

The big question is how much, if any, Cohan will pay luxury tax in 08-09 season. After 08-09 season, we lose Davis and Foyle's contract. Providing that we won't resign Davis and get nothing in return (and of course Foyle), we will lose roughly 24 mils, probably just enough to go under the luxury tax line with extension of Biedrins and Monta.

I simply can't imagine that we will resign Pietrus, Monta, and Biedrins while maintain current salary structure. By doing so, they will cost at least extra 30 mils. We will add another 30 mils of luxury tax, and we will lose additional 10 mils or so on the rebate. Cohan has to spend additional 70 mils just resigning those 3 palyers, and it would be extremely hard to imagine that happening. Cohan may pay something like 10 mils luxury tax at max, but definitely not 30 mils. That's why I don't see Pietrus being resigned, since he is probably the least important player among those 3's. Same goes with Diogu, since his extension will follow just a year after Monta and Biedrins are collecting their fat contracts, and it's most likely that we won't be able to amount another big contract. In addition, we do need to lose some existing contracts by 08-09 season. If we can get rid of Foyle and Murphy (since Dunleavy's contract will be nearly impossible to dump), let Pietrus go, luxury tax line increases every year, and pray everyday, we may be able to keep both Monta and Biedrins...