Who’s in a Blazer uniform next season?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BoomChakaLaka, Aug 28, 2020.

1. GDiama

GDiama Well-Known Member

I'm not against getting Harkless back :grin: He is a FA and he shouldn't be expensive. Now you can sign him to his actual value most likely. Also Crowder is a good choice if we can use Ariza at the 4. Crowder-Ariza would be a good 3 & D duo.

2. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

maybe not but I believe he is UFA and is from the northwest. The guy is a cheaper version of Doncic, similar size, very bbiq savy, can can shoot.

3. Labinot41

Labinot41 Well-Known Member

What do we do with Simons?

4. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

Hold.

His trade value is likely not commensurate with his talent at this point.

5. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

I guess see if the light goes on, but if another team is interested in him as part of a trade that brings us a veteran 4/5?

BoomChakaLaka likes this.
  6. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

I look at this last season same as Dames rookie year. Had some great stretches but terrible ones as well. Many fans wanted a major rebuild then. Instead Neil added Rolo, some bench guys, and over next two years we were a contender if Wes doesnt tear his Achilles. Id look at building the same, hopefully we get better bench and 5th starter and then we'd be there.

Near locks to stay; Dame, CJ, Nurk, Trent

Upside but questions; Little, Collins, Simons

Irrelevant; Gabriel, Brown, Hoard, Adams, Hezonja, Hood

One season: Ariza

Need to go; Whiteside, Melo, Swanigan

7. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I think Hood is pretty much a lock to stay. He's got one more year on his contract and I don't see there being much trade market until he shows he's fully recovered from his injury. If he is fully recovered, he's a bargain to the Blazers if he can shoot like he was at the start of the season.

I'd like to move Gabriel to the Upside but questions category, but he doesn't have a contract so that may mean he's gone anyway.

I'm on the fence on Melo. If he wants to be here and would take a near-min contract, I think he's worth having around as insurance at PF/SF.

Hoopguru likes this.
  8. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

If Melo wants to be a possible 10th man as a backup that is fine. If he wants to start, a certain role or guarantees the team needs to move on.

Hood is irrelevant to me until he can prove to be a beneficial NBA player again, odds are very much against that. Even Allstars were reduced to fringe rotational players. Hood was never close to an allstar.

Buffalo Custard likes this.
  9. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I get why you say that Hood is irrelevant to you, although I think he'd still have some value as a 3 point shooter even if his mobility is shot. That said, I think he's here regardless simply because of his contract.

Melo won't have many suitors. Probably the Knicks offer him a cheap contract. If it's for much money, I'd offer him best wishes and let him go. OTOH, if he really likes the Blazers, will take a low cost deal, and is willing to be that vet guy who does whatever is needed and is around for insurance purposes, great.

10. James lamphear

James lamphear Well-Known Member

His skills really good but his problem is his strength and his weight. If he could get to 220 or 230 with his offense skill set he be real good rotation player.

Cugel likes this.
  11. James lamphear

I don't see ever coming back here. He was complaining about playing with our guards when he was here.

12. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

13. lawai'a

lawai'a Well-Known Member

when are the exit interviews scheduled along with player access?

14. James lamphear

Couple years ago he complain about all he doing is just running up down the court if he was in track. That time Stotts bench him for awhile for those comments. No nobody why he got bench but you can read between the lines. But he was frustrated because he wanted to be involved in somewhat in the offense.

lawai'a likes this.
  15. BoomChakaLaka

BoomChakaLaka Well-Known Member

Designer / Artist
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico (formerly PDX)

We last won a ring 40 years ago. I’m now with the opinion that you need to assemble your team to WIN NOW with 2 to 3 players on the team as prospects. With this, you need veterans to surround Dame, Nurk, CJ and Trent Jr. So Melo, Ariza, Hood become significant. If we see promise in Simons, Collins, Little, Hoard, then decide which 2 to keep and add your draft pick. This means it’s to time send Mario, Hoard, Moses, Adams down the road. And I’m assuming Whiteside will sign elsewhere.

Currently, we don’t have a WIN NOW roster. And the whole “let it bake” approach can happen again AFTER Lillard is past his prime and a rebuild happens.

To summarize:

Dame
    CJ
    Trent
    Simmons
    Then add a veteran to this mix. A scorer like Lou Williams, etc.

if we can improve the above by making a trade (let’s assume it’s CJ), then this addition must add a unique value that we lack. For me: a defender.

CJ for Jrue Holiday??

essentially, trading CJ with say Ariza for Holiday and Reddick would round out a very sweet back court:

Dame / Holiday / Trent / Reddick / Simons

Now for forwards:

Melo / Hood / Little

Here is where we need to add a veteran - at Power Forward. With the above back court and Nurkic at Center, I see the need for an “enforcer” a real banger. We may also want to bolster the PF position with our draft pick.

and finally Center

Nurkic and assuming Whiteside leaves, we need another vet to fill this spot.

summary

Dame, Simons
    Holiday, Trent
    Reddick
    ———————-
    Hood, Melo, Little
    Veteran, Draftpick
    ———————
    Nurkic, Veteran, Draftpick

2-way = Hoard / Adams

So CJ & Collins to New Orleans for Holiday & Reddick is the major trade.

Then we need a veteran PF and C

And draft focus on bigs: PF and C

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020