Who's our 4th best player?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Rastapopoulos, Oct 8, 2017.

?

4th best Blazer?

1. Evan Turner

14.3%
  2. Mo Harkless

57.1%
  3. Caleb Swanigan

11.4%
  4. Zach Collins

11.4%
  5. Al-Farouq Aminu

4.3%
  6. Ed Davis

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other

1.4%
  1. chzbrgr

chzbrgr Well-Known Member

uhhhh.... what...? we actually have competent forward play now! and with Morrow=Crabbe basically, you think we got worse? I have a really hard time believing that. For one, because our rookies look so much better than all the front court players that started the year with us last year. Better than any combination of Plumlee, Davis, Lenoard, Vonleh. I know you LOVE Crabbe like a lot, but come on now, he's not even a 6MOTY candidate. He doesnt have that much of an effect on that second unit.

2. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

And out of that list, I would rather have Turner over all of those scrubs.

3. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Agreed. But I'd rather not have him, either.

4. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Well, unfortunately we had cap space during one of the worst summers to have cap space.

5. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Bottom line ET is on the team and his contract is now irrelevant in my mind for most of the threads we have going. This summer maybe a different discussion since luxury tax is more of a factor. But for now I think we need to base our comments on his actual play compared to who else is on the team. And based on that he helps alot.

Last game he had 5 turnovers and that is too many because he forced 2-3 passes that contributed to those numbers. (one travel call was a foul IMO so he really only had 4 TOs in my mind)

But he also had 8 assists in the first 3 quarters and was 3-6 from the field. And he actually plays solid D. I would start Harkless at SF but if you take ET's contract out of most of your minds, he would be a fan favorite for many since he has skills and almost always plays hard. And personally right now that is all I care about.

In the off season that could change.

SIeepwalker likes this.
  6. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Shit. I'm just happy we have both.

BlazerCaravan and rotary111 like this.
  7. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Eh, I hate his game and think that he belongs in the Little League (aka Eastern Conference). Doesn't matter what he makes, he just isn't a Western Conference player from what I've seen. He's like a good version of Aminu...and that still isn't something I really want on my team.
    That said, I hope he plays off the bench and makes the second unit work well.

8. Pinwheel1

Keep in mind he is the only player on the team over 6'3 who can dribble and pass while being covered. And the only guard on the team who can come close to covering big guards like Klay, Butler and Harden. He is arguably the 4th most valuable player on the team. (Until the rookies get better)

9. 42N8Bounce

42N8Bounce Red Hot And Rebuilding

Just for fun, here's a look at last year's roster. I used PER as a baseline, but sorted it by percentage of minutes played. For example, a player like Napier had a 13.6 PER, but only played 412 minutes in 53 games. Whereas Harkless had a 13.1 PER but played 2223 minutes in 77 games. Harkless made a larger contribution than Napier.

2016-17PorPER.jpg

No surprise at the top 3. Harkless comes in 4th, followed by Aminu and Turner. No surprise at the bottom of the pile.

I give a little extra credit to Aminu since PER doesn't capture the defensive contribution very well. Even considering that, I think Harkless beats him out.

Where do Swanigan and Collins fit into this list? We should be finding out soon!

dviss1 and rotary111 like this.
  10. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    Competent? Wow. That's great!

My view here has nothing to do with Crabbe.

We were in the hunt for Carmelo Anthony and maybe Paul George, no?

Wee bit of a drop off from those guys.

11. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Gotta say that Evan Turner has been good for the team this pre-season (probably one of the best +/- wise). Still drives me crazy watching him - flashbacks to the days of Jarrett Jack.

Pinwheel1 likes this.
  12. Pinwheel1

Yeah but as it turned out we probably should have should kept Jack too. He had some good years after Portland. Funny how he was traded for Bayless.........twice.

Denny Crane likes this.
  13. chzbrgr

chzbrgr Well-Known Member

Ok.... yeah.... our rookies arent paul george I'm cool with that.

You gotta see that the vast chasm between our forward play last year and competency was so large you could fit 20 wins in it! no? The fact that our rookies look competent at this point should give you a good deal of optimism for their future and the teams success, but I guess since they arent as good as paul george, you think we are going to get worse? Is that the pessimistic bs you're trying to sell these days Denny?

Good luck with that.

PS if your point wasnt that the loss of Crabbe was going to make our bench worse, maybe dont use him as your example for why the bench will struggle.

14. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    We won fewer games last year than the year before and looked really bad in the playoffs (yeah, injury to Nurk, but still). That speaks plenty to "competency" and "forward play."

We addressed some of the bigs depth issues, and let's hope we can rely on rookies to help us make playoffs again. I don't think we got better at SF, but actually worse because we're one less player there and one who did earn ~30 MPG.

I'm not pessimistic about the team's chances. Just looking at ways to improve them.

15. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Nurk, Swanigan, Ed Davis - our rebounding is WAY, WAY, WAY better than last year, and rebounding is what every winning team has to have.

Denny Crane likes this.
  16. Pinwheel1

You are dismissing the Nurk injury too much. We got better....and then he got hurt. So if he gets hurt again....yes we are fucked and the season becomes another development year for our rookies.

As for the playoffs.......the Warriors won 15 straight in the playoffs. Everyone looked bad against them including Cleveland who actually won a game. I really do not see how it plays into any equation for this particular season.

17. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

I voted for Collins, but Harkless is close. What a coup by Olshey to first get him for nothing, then retain him for just 10 mil per year. I don't know how much Anthony would have helped this team over Harkless. Hark is better defensively, and is great at playing off our other stars, diving to the hoop, getting put backs, and his 3pt shot isn't bad.

CJ, Dame and Anthony may have fought too much over shots. Both CJ and Damian already need to tone down some of the stuff they throw up.

BBert likes this.
  18. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    What was our record pre Nurk?

Worse than the year before? (answer: yes)

19. stampedehero

stampedehero Make Your Day, a Doobies Day Staff Member Moderator

Part Time Building Inspector
    Have not seen Collins and Swanigan for a real season. Must discount them. After I saw ET play in the series against the G State, he really sucked and I would put him in the Ryan Leaf category. He is an expensive loser.

20. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

You don't have enough posts to post a picture with that comment on it. You CAN post the comment. But You CANNOT start a thread about it. Get this straight quick and things will be much easier for you....

SIeepwalker and dviss1 like this.