Why aren't these games selling out?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by chris_in_pdx, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

Here's the rub people. I'll bet anybody a beer that the Blazers come out ahead financially with the Comcast broadcast contract over a 1,000 less filled seats per game ... maybe by 5:1?

2. blue32

blue32 Who wants a mustache ride?

I know. I definitely understand that. However, I am just giving you my take. I believe a lot of that is just the reason why people prefer to stay at home and not deal with the hassle. It's just not worth it. Specially when you can get a better experience at home.

3. Wheels

Wheels Is That A Challenge?!?!1! Staff Member Global Moderator

oh I def agree with you. The $$$ is in the TV and Ad revenue. But as a fan who it has effectively kept out of every avenue of watching this team play, it has definitely turned me off to this club, and giving them my money (however little the dent)

4. Charcoal Filtered

Charcoal Filtered Writing Team

They are also doing better selling two seats for $70, leaving two empty than they are selling four for $30.

5. blue32

blue32 Who wants a mustache ride?

Debatable considering the extra 2 bodies may spend money in concessions and/or the fan shop.

6. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

That's possibly true. Although I have to wonder that if somebody is willing to shell out 70 (or more?) for a seat, then odds are they have more disposable income to begin with and might be more likely to buy beers, shirts, food etc. than the guy who is shooting for the bargain. Regardless, the way attendance is going, it's more like 3 $70-$80 seats vs. 4 $30-$40 seats and that's a net win for the Blazers financially.

I admit it looks awful seeing empty seats when you watch the games on TV and it makes for a more subdued crowd with the increased "corporatization" of the experience, but the Vulcan accountants probably like it and Chris McGowan gets to look smarter than his predecessors in Paul Allen's eye.