Why is being able to shoot it suddenly a weakness?

Discussion in 'Oklahoma City Thunder' started by Sir Desmond, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Iron Shiek

Iron Shiek Maintain and Hold It Down

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Real Deal:</div><div class="quote_post">
    One more thing. Name me one single player in the NBA that has won a conference championship or a ring by himself. You do that, and if you can get everyone to agree, then I'll leave JBB. Put your money where your mouth is, Shiek.</div>

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Stop avoiding the entire subject. You misdirected this topic by trying to prove that there's a player who can do it all by himself...when the fact is, it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the Sonics, because there's not a player on there that's even close to being a great player.

Make your "poll" for everyone to vote on. Fine by me...it has no relevance to this issue in the first place.</div>

I'm sorry but I don't have the power to put words in your mouth. Don't throw out things that you aren't willing to catch.

The bottom line is that the Sonics are a good team and you are covering for your boy saying that he can't win on his own. The Sonics aren't winning b/c we have one dominant player. The Lakers are treading above water primarily b/c of the contributions of Kobe.

You basically said that having a team w/ one star and the rest role players has never produce an NBA Champion (or Conference Champion). You even went on record to say that if someone could convince the rest of JBB otherwise of that then you would leave the site. Those are your words not mine.

Are you or are you not willing to back your own words up? No diversionary tactics here, fam. I'm just interested in putting holes in your arguments.

ps

If you are going to use my quote to make your point use the whole quote. I'm not going to go on the record by saying certain statistics are definitely true if I don't have the facts. If you are looking for employment check out the scientist thread that is a couple of threads down.

2. Ice

Ice JBB Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Lewis, Radmanovic and Ridnour All-Stars? [​IMG] Possibly Lewis, who is the man in Seattle. </div>
    I never said they were all stars, I was just exaggerating Tierre because the guy averages like 3 points per game - which IMO isn't even enough to consider his 3 point %. The three guys I mentioned play a big role in the Supersonics success. Now tell me, does Tierre fall into that category?

No.

3. TheAnswerIsAi3

TheAnswerIsAi3 BBW Member

4. jbbReal Deal

jbbReal Deal Active Member

Shiek...you threw it out first to change the direction the topic was going in. You had to mention Kobe doing everything in LA. Keep up with me and maybe you'll learn something.

This topic has been officially owned by me. I don't know why I'm even wasting my time with this team, but yes...it was fun while it lasted.

Next time you want a debate, go look up all the stats. [​IMG]

5. Ice

Ice JBB Member

How could you 'own' him when you bring up the number of 3 pointers ATTEMPTED when any knowledgeable fan could tell you that the % that goes it is what counts the most.

Look, Seattle is having a great year. I'm obviously a Magic fan first, but I also follow the entire NBA (without being biased [​IMG] ) Seattle is for real, and just because you don't like them and you'd rather watch Kobe do it all - it's your loss. Seattle is fun to watch because they all get along and can win ballgames as a team. Check them out sometime without thinking about Kobe, and you might like what you see.

Dictionary.com/team

team ( P ) Pronunciation Key ™

Sports & Games. A group on the same side, as in a game.
    A group organized to work together

6. TheAnswerIsAi3

<font color="Green">Sonics 107 </font> [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    <font color="Red">Philadelphia 114</font> [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

<font color="Green">Sonics</font> [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. jbbReal Deal

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Ice:</div><div class="quote_post">How could you 'own' him when you bring up the number of 3 pointers ATTEMPTED when any knowledgeable fan could tell you that the % that goes it is what counts the most.

Look, Seattle is having a great year. I'm obviously a Magic fan first, but I also follow the entire NBA (without being biased [​IMG] ) Seattle is for real, and just because you don't like them and you'd rather watch Kobe do it all - it's your loss. Seattle is fun to watch because they all get along and can win ballgames as a team. Check them out sometime without thinking about Kobe, and you might like what you see.

Dictionary.com/team

team ( P ) Pronunciation Key ™

Sports & Games. A group on the same side, as in a game.
    A group organized to work together</div>
    So if the Lakers aren't working as a team...then it's Kobe who has them over .500 in the West???

Awesome. [​IMG] If you'd like, I'll make you a Kobe sig just for giving him that credit.

By the way Ice, someone said that the Sonics shot more threes than the Lakers. Technically, they didn't...not even averaging more per game.

Also, I don't think shooting (or making) threes is considered success...since the Spurs and Heat (just two off the top of my head) are better than the Sonics, yet their 3PT% is worse. And...oh...the Spurs are considered the best shooting team in the league.

Someone lock this topic before another person comes in here and makes the Sonics look even worse. [​IMG]

8. Ice

Ice JBB Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Real Deal:</div><div class="quote_post">So if the Lakers aren't working as a team...then it's Kobe who has them over .500 in the West???</div>
    I didn't say they aren't a working team.. I said the Supersonics were the <font color="Red">HARDER WORKING TEAM</font>.

Kobe IS the Lakers team, and the Sonics have more options. Thats the point I've been trying to make but it can't seem to get through to you.

The reason for their success is because they have a well balanced team who works together. (For the 1,000,000th time.)

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Awesome. [​IMG] If you'd like, I'll make you a Kobe sig just for giving him that credit.</div>
    Get over the freaking sigs.

9. Iron Shiek

Iron Shiek Maintain and Hold It Down

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Real Deal:</div><div class="quote_post">Shiek...you threw it out first to change the direction the topic was going in. You had to mention Kobe doing everything in LA. Keep up with me and maybe you'll learn something.

This topic has been officially owned by me. I don't know why I'm even wasting my time with this team, but yes...it was fun while it lasted.

Next time you want a debate, go look up all the stats. [​IMG]</div>

If I try to keep up w/ you I'm going to end up back tracking.

I'm glad that you consider yourself the self proclaimed owner of the Sonics forum. I'd actually prefer that you don't waste your time w/ this team, too.

The next time we debate it be good that you look up all the stats, too--including the percentages of offensive rebounding per miss shot~where we currently lead the league~and free throw percentage. Don't make bold statements and then duck and hide when there is a good possibility that you may have to end up eating your own words.

10. jbbReal Deal

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Ice:</div><div class="quote_post">I didn't say they aren't a working team.. I said the Supersonics were the <font color="Red">HARDER WORKING TEAM</font>.

Kobe IS the Lakers team, and the Sonics have more options. Thats the point I've been trying to make but it can't seem to get through to you.

The reason for their success is because they have a well balanced team who works together. (For the 1,000,000th time.)

Get over the freaking sigs.</div>
    So you define them as a harder working team...when you hinted that they have better role players earlier? The Lakers are working much harder...remember, especially with Mr. O'Neal gone [​IMG] ....than the Sonics.

And you're sliding far from the point of this thread as well. Why are you misdirecting the actual topic?

There's no reason to cry about the Sonics' record. They are 22-6...pretty nice. When people sit and say you can't do it, all you gotta do (Sonic fans) is shut your mouth and let your team do the talking. If you don't have the confidence in that, you post threads like this one.

The facts remain that teams are still trying to figure out Seattle. It happened this way with Kemp and Payton as well...but then, the Sonics hit a brick wall in the playoffs and were eliminated.

You can walk the walk all throughout the regular season...gloat about your team, talk trash about the other team (Reality is not in our vocabulary)...but the fact remains that Seattle doesn't have the room to talk about other teams, especially the Lakers, of all teams...until you bring home a few things to be proud of. Ask the Kings (sorry Kings fans). Ask the Mavs as well.

You had it coming, Seattle. When your fans talk trash about other teams, it'll turn around and bite you from behind. [​IMG]

11. Ice

Ice JBB Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Also, I don't think shooting (or making) threes is considered success...since the Spurs and Heat (just two off the top of my head) are better than the Sonics, yet their 3PT% is worse. And...oh...the Spurs are considered the best shooting team in the league.</div>
    It's a success if they are winning you ballgames.

Ok.. the Spurs have Tim Duncan and they depend on defense to win games.

The Heat have Shaq and Wade, and Shaq is still the MDE.

Do the Sonics have either one of those? No. If they had a player like Duncan or Shaq (who are 2 of the top 3 in the league) it would be a different story.

The Sonics depend on their ability to knock down shots from 3 point range. Thats their strength, whether you want to believe it or not. Their ability to move the ball around, make shots, and play unselfish ball is what has been keeping them on top of the west.

12. jbbReal Deal

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Iron Shiek:</div><div class="quote_post">If I try to keep up w/ you I'm going to end up back tracking.

I'm glad that you consider yourself the self proclaimed owner of the Sonics forum. I'd actually prefer that you don't waste your time w/ this team, too.

The next time we debate it be good that you look up all the stats including the percentages of offensive rebounding per miss shot~where we currently lead the league~and free throw percentage. Don't make bold statements and then duck and hide when there is a good possibility that you may have to end up eating your own words.</div>
    I like that...making up for what you couldn't figure out earlier. [​IMG]

How about next time, in the heat of the moment, you know exactly what you wanna ask, instead of stating "attempted threes" and "getting to the line more" and etc.

That has nothing to do with the percentages made...does it, Shiek?

Haha, I'm not the one worried about Seattle, really. First off, they aren't in my division...and secondly, I wouldn't even be posting right now if it wasn't for <font color="SeaGreen">others mocking my quote in their signature</font>, and <font color="SeaGreen">making a thread such as this one that was obviously directed at me</font> (go see my Bobcats/Sonics preview thread).

It's all simple. You back up your spectacular season with the Larry O'Brien, and you'll gain respect from me. In fact, I'd give you respect...but when you shoot your mouth about the Lakers, who have had more success than the Sonics have ever known of, then you're stepping into flood waters.

If you want a debate, I'll be the first one to give it. I won't speak for anyone else...but I know my role as a Laker fan. The Lakers were average in 1991 and a couple years after that...and then, even before Shaq, we had won 53 games. It's not always a center to lead the way...I bet you can even admit that one...so when you criticize Kobe Bryant for being on his own, you're making a huge mistake...and you'll get called upon by someone who knows better.

First nice season, it seems to be, by the Sonics since Kemp and Payton...congrats once again. Don't gloat too much, and don't mock everyone else...because it's only 28 games.

What more do you ask for, when you don't give any respect back?

13. Ice

Ice JBB Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Real Deal:</div><div class="quote_post">What more do you ask for, when you don't give any respect back?</div>
    I don't respect biased people.

You defend Kobe to the death and never accept arguments against him, which IMO is the wrong mentality for a diehard NBA fan.

Maybe if you didn't counter argue every post regarding Kobe I'd respect Laker fans more.

14. jbbReal Deal

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Ice:</div><div class="quote_post">It's a success if they are winning you ballgames.

Ok.. the Spurs have Tim Duncan and they depend on defense to win games.

The Heat have Shaq and Wade, and Shaq is still the MDE.

Do the Sonics have either one of those? No. If they had a player like Duncan or Shaq (who are 2 of the top 3 in the league) it would be a different story.

The Sonics depend on their ability to knock down shots from 3 point range. Thats their strength, whether you want to believe it or not. Their ability to move the ball around, make shots, and play unselfish ball is what has been keeping them on top of the west.</div>
    Wow...

Win all the ball games you want. Make the playoffs. If you can't finish, then it means jack.

Okay, the Sonics don't have Shaq or Duncan, right? How about the Mavs, who aren't so shabby, but shooting worse from the arc? How about the Kings? Haha...Boston, who beat the Sonics twice already? Minnesota?

As far as the Lakers go, they aren't far from shooting .381 that the Sonics are at...so...big deal, right?

Again, shooting threes won't carry you through 82 games. If so, I'll be shocked. But I'll guarantee they won't carry you through the WCFs.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Ice:</div><div class="quote_post">I don't respect biased people.

You defend Kobe to the death and never accept arguments against him, which IMO is the wrong mentality for a diehard NBA fan.

Maybe if you didn't counter argue every post regarding Kobe I'd respect Laker fans more.</div>
    Don't give me that trash. <font color="red">This, again, has nothing to do with Kobe Bryant at all. I wasn't the first to bring him up</font>. I still would've ruined this parade without even mentioning his name.

Don't throw that excuse out here now. It's over.

15. Ice

Ice JBB Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Real Deal:</div><div class="quote_post">Wow...

Win all the ball games you want. Make the playoffs. If you can't finish, then it means jack.</div>
    They are winning. They will get into the playoffs. How do you know if they'll finish or not, are you Mrs. Cleo? The Sonics have yet to go into the playoffs with this roster so right now they are a big mystery. Who are you do trash them when you haven't even seen them in playoff mode? The only thing you've seen is their successful season right now.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Okay, the Sonics don't have Shaq or Duncan, right?</div>
    No.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">How about the Kings? Haha...Boston, who beat the Sonics twice already? Minnesota?</div>
    What about them? If you are going to mention Boston who beat them, what about the Spurs? I've already said this before but the Sonics broke their 21 game winning streak at home. Pretty damn impressive. But wait... they just got lucky and kept knocking down 3's. [​IMG] [​IMG]

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Again, shooting threes won't carry you through 82 games. If so, I'll be shocked. But I'll guarantee they won't carry you through the WCFs.</div>
    Like I've said before, give praise when the praise is needed. Theres more to this team than knocking down 3's, but if they can do that as well then so what. It's working, get over it. They can also match up with the big guys. They can rebound the ball and their forumla to success is working.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Don't give me that trash. <font color="red">This, again, has nothing to do with Kobe Bryant at all. I wasn't the first to bring him up</font>. I still would've ruined this parade without even mentioning his name.

Don't throw that excuse out here now. It's over.</div>
    If that was the case, then why did you continue talking about him? If it was irrelevant then you would have skipped over it rather than supporting your favorite player to death. (Which gets old)

16. TheAnswerIsAi3

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Ice:</div><div class="quote_post">They are winning. They will get into the playoffs. How do you know if they'll finish or not, are you Mrs. Cleo? </div>

Hey Brandon...isnt it funny how all Supersonic fans call people Mrs. Cleo. Oh and Im soooooo sad you deleted my posts...you still are getting owned by Real Deal in the first place....

17. jbbReal Deal

Ice, if this wasn't directed towards Kobe, you wouldn't even be in here.

By the way, what you're saying has been mentioned in this debate already, and has nothing to do with the point of this thread. What is there so hard to understand about the fact that there's no reason to rant when you're winning, and no reason to drag a team through the mud (such as the Lakers) when you haven't had their success??? Since this is so hard to answer, and since what you guys are now saying has no importance to this thread...
    [​IMG]

18. Shard

Shard Hi2u

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">They are winning. They will get into the playoffs. How do you know if they'll finish or not, are you Mrs. Cleo? The Sonics have yet to go into the playoffs with this roster so right now they are a big mystery. Who are you do trash them when you haven't even seen them in playoff mode? The only thing you've seen is their successful season right now.</div> Ice, haven't you learned yet? Unless the immortal Kobe Bryant is on the team, they cannot do well in the playoffs. As for the great predictions Real Deal is throwing out..let me guess what the next one is... Sonics vs. Lakers in the playoffs...time running down..Kobe gets fouled and HITS THE FREE THROWS TO WIN IT!!!

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Hey Brandon...isnt it funny how all Supersonic fans call people Mrs. Cleo. Oh and Im soooooo sad you deleted my posts...you still are getting owned by Real Deal in the first place....</div>
    Ice is a Magic fan... and you are a hater...so share it up with Real Deal [​IMG]

19. jbbReal Deal

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Shard:</div><div class="quote_post">Ice, haven't you learned yet? Unless the immortal Kobe Bryant is on the team, they cannot do well in the playoffs. As for the great predictions Real Deal is throwing out..let me guess what the next one is... Sonics vs. Lakers in the playoffs...time running down..Kobe gets fouled and HITS THE FREE THROWS TO WIN IT!!!</div>
    Pete Repeat makes his way into the Sonics forum. He looks around, laughs a little, and says:

"Why complain and why drag other teams through the mud? Why complain and why drag other teams through the mud? Why complain and why drag other teams through the mud?"

I wonder if any of you know what the thread is about. Shard, if you want to mock my predictions from my previews (because that's what you're doing), try contributing more and making a few decent ones yourself.

And as for your Haterade...funny isn't it? Us Laker fans are considered terrible and ignorant fans, and we always used the term "haters" and "Haterade" in the past...but now, all of these Sonic fans are doing the same. [​IMG]

Try winning three straight before you break out your Haterade.

20. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Real Deal:</div><div class="quote_post">
    Hey teams, do you want to know how to beat the Sonics? Keep Lewis beyond the arc and force him to shoot long-range jumpers or threes...and if he posts up, avoid the double team. On the other side of the ball, for whoever Ray is defending, attack the basket, but when you bring the ball up, pull it out front, then up. If you go to your side, you'll get it ripped. For everyone else, draw charges on the frontcourt, but take it hard against Fortson and Collison. Hmm...let Jerome James post up if he decides to...he'll miss the shot. When you box out for a rebound against Collison, let him put the elbow higher into your back, and then jump a little later than usual for the board, so you get the over-the-back call. For Ridnour, get more physical...he doesn't like contact, and you'll play mind games with him by making him work for penetrations.</div>Oh wow!! Is it really that easy? Because if it is, then please explain to me why Seattle has only lost to 5 teams this year. 4 of those teams are obviously worse than the Sonics are. So if you take away a few off nights which happen to every team, then they are basically undefeated.

The one loss they have to a team that compares to them was a 2 point loss to Phoenix. It's incredible how you can try to belittle this team. You're just one of those people that likes to argue, huh?