Why is being able to shoot it suddenly a weakness?

Discussion in 'Oklahoma City Thunder' started by Sir Desmond, Dec 31, 2004.

1. jbbReal Deal

jbbReal Deal Active Member

Boy, you mods are sure tough to break...in groups of five. [​IMG]

Miss Cleo? That's three so far...grow up, kids.

2. Ice

Ice JBB Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Real Deal:</div><div class="quote_post">Ice, if this wasn't directed towards Kobe, you wouldn't even be in here.</div>
    And you know that how? I post wherever the hell I want to and if it means in here then so be it.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">By the way, what you're saying has been mentioned in this debate already, and has nothing to do with the point of this thread. </div>
    The point of this thread is this: Why is being able to shoot it suddenly a weakness?

The reason I came in here (since I have to explain why I entered) is because you wrote them off without considering the entire picture.

You said they will fail and not make it in the playoffs, without even giving them a chance. I said they are a good team and they are for real because they have beaten some of the other elite teams in the West, and play decent team ball. What don't you get?

3. Semmi

Semmi JBB JustBBall Member

Wow! Nice debate....
    Though I'd like to add that Seattle & Lakers can't be compared! Every free agent wants to play and live in sunny Los Angeles and in a Laker jersey because this francise has history. But noone want's to come to Seattle. Why we as a Seattle fans have to speak highly about Lakers tem when they are playing crappy ball - beacuse they have such a great history??? I don't think so....You won't win games with your history, you win games with your current roster. Seattle has got a TEAM of basketballplayers, Lakers has got Bryant + Other players.
    At least we Sonics fans are patriots - our team was great in mid 90's, but after that is just fighting for play-off spot. It has been great to be a Lakers fan last 5-6 years, but now the reality is that Lakers is average team at best. A lot of fans are jumping of from Lakers bandwagon and becoming a fan of Heat, Phoenix, heck...even Seattle. My point is that now when Sonics is playing good basketball we want to have some respect for Sonics team, not just trash talk that "they will start losing" and "they don't have any big men, so..." etc. Our record is 22-6 so Sonics is a good team right now with or without any dominant force in the paint. I am enyoing those moments! Peace!

4. TheAnswerIsAi3

TheAnswerIsAi3 BBW Member

Boy you mods are also immature as usual....isnt that a surprise...

5. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting TheAnswerIsAi3:</div><div class="quote_post">Boy you mods are also immature as usual....isnt that a surprise...</div>
    Congrats Real Deal, you've won over the support of your little brother. [​IMG]

6. Shard

Shard Hi2u

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">I wonder if any of you know what the thread is about. Shard, if you want to mock my predictions from my previews (because that's what you're doing), try contributing more and making a few decent ones yourself.</div>
    No. I'm not psychic and I do not make predictions. What are you, my shrink? Please refrain from trying to give me advice.

You are the only one who agrees with your points in this thread (besides your groupie that hasn't posted a rational thought yet...just "Go Brandon you PWN th0se n00bz do0d"). That should be the first indication of how faulty your claims are. The whole point of this thread is that the Sonics are winning because of team ball and good shooters. Why can't you respect that?

7. jbbReal Deal

Semmi...if the Lakers are playing crappy ball, then what the hell were the Sonics doing last year? The Lakers are in the playoffs right now...7th seed in fact...in the West.

And I wasn't bashing the Sonics until I noticed a Sonic mod and a couple of others mocking my Lakers. You do that, and you're in the wrong. It's called baiting...correct me if I'm wrong.

What a waste of my time, sitting here disputing with 15 other non-Laker fans when I have clearly dominated this debate. I've praised the Sonics in the past...I don't think I have to go find those posts...but when you mock my team, it's only a matter of time when I will change direction and expose your team for every weakness they have.

I don't care how intelligent some of you believe you are...you couldn't win this one, Kobe Bryant or no Kobe involved. You've sidetracked, hit the wall, went the other direction, did a 360...everything to steer away from the topic.

Game over. Go find another team to mock.

8. Ice

Ice JBB Member

Heres my question to Real Deal:

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Shard:</div><div class="quote_post"> The whole point of this thread is that the Sonics are winning because of team ball and good shooters. Why can't you respect that?</div>

9. TheAnswerIsAi3

TheAnswerIsAi3 BBW Member

Hey Brandon...haven't u learned yet? The immortal Ray Ray Allen will lead the SuperSonics to a championship with his awesome shooting abilities and his 2 assists he throws every night along with an amazing backcourt of Rash Lewis and Lukey Ridnour!

Ray Ray is and always will be better than Kobe...just look at those muscles!

[​IMG]

10. Semmi

Semmi JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Real Deal:</div><div class="quote_post">Semmi...if the Lakers are playing crappy ball, then what the hell were the Sonics doing last year? The Lakers are in the playoffs right now...7th seed in fact...in the West.
    </div>

Seattle played crappy ball last season, no doubt! But this was then and this is now. I really hope that Lakers will hold this 7th seed (4 your sake), but I seriously doubt it. All you need is a one injury (not even Kobe, Mihm or Butler will do just fine) and you are out of the play-off race for this year. I'm not wishing anything bad to Lakers but that is a reality and injuries will occur. And don't tell me that Divac already is injured....he isn't even your starting C. But I don't want to quarrel with anybody so I'll let it go and have a closer look on Lakers, then when the play-offs are at the door then we resurrect this topic and you van start making us those sigs....or not.

11. Shard

Shard Hi2u

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">
    Game over. Go find another team to mock.</div>
    You came in here buddy...and regardless if you think you "owned" the Sonics forum or not, the Sonics are succeeding on the court and that is all that matters to true fans. Make all the criticisms you want but the Sonics are winning as a cohesive unit, which is more than I can say for the Lakers.

12. Ice

Ice JBB Member

Shard, I think TheAnswerIsAi3 just proved your theory right.

[​IMG]

13. Ed!

Ed! JBB JustBBall Member

Live by the jumper, die by the jumper.

Your weakness isn't the ability to shoot, but the playing style. It's a perimeter oriented team in which 90% of the offense is jumpshooting. Granted, they've played great ball in the early parts of the season, but if history repeats itself, this team wont be a champion anytime soon (see: Mavs). The Mavericks had nothing inside besides Nowitzki, who technically wasn't always "inside". Only 2 teams have ever won a championship without dominating big men. Seattle has some great perimeter players, none of them enough to win a championship.

That being said, you may think I'm here to bash the Sonics. Well, you're wrong. I really like the team they have and I firmly believe they can and will make a lot of noise in the playoffs. However, deeper then conference finals is doubtful IMO.

14. Shard

Shard Hi2u

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">That being said, you may think I'm here to bash the Sonics. Well, you're wrong. I really like the team they have and I firmly believe they can and will make a lot of noise in the playoffs. However, deeper then conference finals is doubtful IMO.</div>
    I can respect that, all I think Supersonic wanted from this thread is for people to realize that the Sonics are a good team that just happens to be excellent at shooting. No one can predict if a team will win a championship but it's obvious to me that the Sonics are playoff caliber...how far they go, who knows.

15. Bosnian

Bosnian JBB JustBBall Member

Preach Real Deal Preach

Preach to them you are outnumbered in this Fourm Real Deal Maybe if you posted this in the lakers fourm you would have more people on your side

16. Ice

Ice JBB Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Shard:</div><div class="quote_post">I can respect that, all I think Supersonic wanted from this thread is for people to realize that the Sonics are a good team that just happens to be excellent at shooting. No one can predict if a team will win a championship but it's obvious to me that the Sonics are playoff caliber...how far they go, who knows.</div>
    [​IMG]

17. GiantMidget

GiantMidget JBB JustBBall Member

Being able to shoot it is only a weakness to those who are fans of teams that have gotten blown out or owned by a team that is almost the same as it was last year when it was unsuccessful.People also hate on the sonics because they think their success so far this season is a fluke because they dont have the traditional scoring big man.For some reason people equate inside presence to inside scoring instead of thinking of all the things interior players are supposed to do.While the sonics dont have an interior scoring presence they certainly have a defensive and rebounding presence.With that said the sonics have OWNED every team in the west but phoenix so far this season,and you can only judge a team by what theyve done so far this year.Haters need to Real Deal with it.

18. jbbReal Deal

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting GiantMidget:</div><div class="quote_post">Being able to shoot it is only a weakness to those who are fans of teams that have gotten blown out or owned by a team that is almost the same as it was last year when it was unsuccessful.People also hate on the sonics because they think their success so far this season is a fluke because they dont have the traditional scoring big man.For some reason people equate inside presence to inside scoring instead of thinking of all the things interior players are supposed to do.While the sonics dont have an interior scoring presence they certainly have a defensive and rebounding presence.With that said the sonics have OWNED every team in the west but phoenix so far this season,and you can only judge a team by what theyve done so far this year.Haters need to Real Deal with it.</div>
    Oh, now THAT was a good one. [​IMG]

Not hating here. I've stated that the Sonics are doing well. What needs to be kept in mind is that once teams start defending the perimeter really, really well...Rashard is going to have to step it up even more, and Ray will have to attack the basket more.

This was seen in the Bobcats game. If you didn't notice, Ray's shooting was poor, and I got to watch the game from a torrent...and the Bobcats were watching the perimeter really well.

I'm not saying that the Sonics will fail during the regular season. My prediction was, however, that with the combination of tough perimeter defense by elite teams and the fact that the Sonics aren't playoff-experienced, they'll have trouble in the playoffs.

No hating Midget...just responding.

19. Casual

Casual JBB First Team

This has got to be the dumbest topic I've ever seen on this forum.

Using statistics to prove one team or player is better than the other. It doesn't work. Statistics can indicate trends, but they are not proof of anything. Likewise, saying somebody is wrong and stopping there means nothing.

If you say an argument is worthless, stop participating in it.

I just PWNED you all!!!!!!!!!! Wait, no I didn't, even though I said I did. Okay, but I will definitely marry Jessica Alba. IT'S TRUE I TELL YOU.

Real Deal, the reason everybody is arguing with you is that you refuse to admit things.

You say you're "not hating" but you keep insisting that the Sonics are a fluke of a team that will never succeed in the playoffs. The thing is, nobody was disputing you. Nobody here thought the Sonics were going to win much in the playoffs. We're happy because we were a lotto team last year, and we're winning this year. That means we're closer to a championship than before. Which is better than being a lotto team. ...you get it?

And you argue points by bringing up specific stuff that doesn't deal with the entire picture. It doesn't work.

And with that, I will hopefully never look at this topic again.

20. jbbReal Deal

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Casual:</div><div class="quote_post">This has got to be the dumbest topic I've ever seen on this forum.

Using statistics to prove one team or player is better than the other. It doesn't work. Statistics can indicate trends, but they are not proof of anything. Likewise, saying somebody is wrong and stopping there means nothing.

If you say an argument is worthless, stop participating in it.

I just PWNED you all!!!!!!!!!! Wait, no I didn't, even though I said I did. Okay, but I will definitely marry Jessica Alba. IT'S TRUE I TELL YOU.

Real Deal, the reason everybody is arguing with you is that you refuse to admit things.

You say you're "not hating" but you keep insisting that the Sonics are a fluke of a team that will never succeed in the playoffs. The thing is, nobody was disputing you. Nobody here thought the Sonics were going to win much in the playoffs. We're happy because we were a lotto team last year, and we're winning this year. That means we're closer to a championship than before. Which is better than being a lotto team. ...you get it?

And you argue points by bringing up specific stuff that doesn't deal with the entire picture. It doesn't work.

And with that, I will hopefully never look at this topic again.</div>
    Casual, you know better than to put the blame on me for bringing up the stats...because I didn't mention those until they were brought into the fray.

This paints a picture in Seattle, really...something that alot of teams can't accomplish...and that is achieving a 22-6 record by playing this style of basketball, with (like everyone says) no dominant big man and no elite PG.

My whole reasoning to jump into this thread (before Kobe and the Lakers were brought up) was to dispute the reasoning for even making this thread. Sure, there's going to be guys that will doubt the Sonics...because that's just the way it is. I could see a point in this thread if you guys had three rings...but you don't...so you have to expect guys running over your team, reason behind it or not.

When you have championships, and there are guys still talking trash, then a thread with the suggestive title is appropriate. That's what put me in this thread in the first place...nothing about how good or bad the Sonics are.