Why is being able to shoot it suddenly a weakness?

Discussion in 'Oklahoma City Thunder' started by Sir Desmond, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Shard:</div><div class="quote_post">The whole point of this thread is that the Sonics are winning because of team ball and good shooters. Why can't you respect that?</div>

AMEN! It took four pages (four very funny pages mind you) to finally get to this.

This isn't a thread whining about the Sonics being criticised. This isn't a thread saying the Sonics will win a championship, or is better than any other team.

It is simply a thread to say if you're going to criticise the team, come up with something better than the "live by the three, die by the three" tripe that comes up whenever this team is discussed. There is more to this team this season, and it's about time people actually opened their eyes and realised that just because a team shoots the ball a lot, doesn't mean that's their only avenue to winning.

2. Iron Shiek

Iron Shiek Maintain and Hold It Down

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Real Deal:</div><div class="quote_post">I like that...making up for what you couldn't figure out earlier. [​IMG]

How about next time, in the heat of the moment, you know exactly what you wanna ask, instead of stating "attempted threes" and "getting to the line more" and etc.

That has nothing to do with the percentages made...does it, Shiek?

It's all simple. You back up your spectacular season with the Larry O'Brien, and you'll gain respect from me. In fact, I'd give you respect...but when you shoot your mouth about the Lakers, who have had more success than the Sonics have ever known of, then you're stepping into flood waters.

If you want a debate, I'll be the first one to give it. I won't speak for anyone else...but I know my role as a Laker fan. The Lakers were average in 1991 and a couple years after that...and then, even before Shaq, we had won 53 games. It's not always a center to lead the way...I bet you can even admit that one...so when you criticize Kobe Bryant for being on his own, you're making a huge mistake...and you'll get called upon by someone who knows better.
    </div>

For the record, generally when you want to know how a team is scoring w/o racking up a ton of assists you might want to take into consideration the percentages of point production that isn't directly related to a conventional assisted two point basket.

The Sonics have found a formula that works for them, and other successful teams have found formulas that have worked for them. The way that the Sonics play is definitely not for everyone considering that no team that I can remember has had the type of personel that the Sonics currently have. We have eleven players on our roster who could literally be getting thirty minutes a game. They have all bought in thus far, and that is why we've been successful.

I'm not criticizing Kobe for being on his own. I'm just reminding you that winning w/ a suspect supporting cast is something that can be done~like the 1993-1994 Houston Rockets coached by your very own Rudy T. If this topic was about arguing whose franchise has had the most success I'd be posting in the Celtics forum. The Sonics are good now, regardless of what the Lakers are doing or have done. If you want to get my attention in the Laker forum lobby hard to get Ronald Murray in purple and gold. I wouldn't support the move for him but it would give me a reason to respect your basketball smarts.

3. jbbReal Deal

jbbReal Deal Active Member

Why would the Lakers want Flip? We're looking for a PG...and if we were to get him and place him at the point, he'd be scoring-orientated. We need a playmaker and someone who bleeds defensive toughness...and neither apply to Flip.

4. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

I'm not going to bother reading every reply in this thread but It's quite sad the way people are disrespecting the Sonics expecting them to fail. All I hear these days is "they will come back down to earth soon" "wait till the end of january" "wait til after the all-star break" all this coming after those same people said the Sonics couldn't keep It up after the first month of the year.

People don't realise the Sonics who are a jump shooting team but they have other quailties that make them win games. Their defense seems much improved, while the forwards are not big names they never make It easy for the top forwards in the game to score. Guys like Fortson, James, Collison, Evans all great energy guys. Danny Fortson is the x-factor on their team, he goes after every loose ball and when he isn't in foul trouble always seems to be getting 8-10 boards in under 20 minutes. His offensive rebounding has been excellent from the games I have seen. He also seems to of taken over from Vlade Divac as the best flopper in the league.

Daniels has been one of the best 6th men in the league, I have loved AD since his San Antonio days..just wish he played like he is now when he was at the Spurs.

Vladimir Radmanovic is your typical euro jump shooter who provides instant offense off the bench and many times this year has bailed the Sonics out when they needed a big basket.

People say the Sonics style won't work in the playoffs, why? they have the depth and guys who are willing to defend inside. They aren't just a jump shooting team, their big man can product offense inside..mainly off offensive rebounds. Which is more than the Dallas team than went to the conference finals a couple of years ago and gave the Spurs a run for their money. If It wasn't for Steve Kerr and Stephen Jackson's great outside shooting that series would of went to 7 games and in a game 7 who knows what could of happened.

Fact is the Sonics have two top 5 players at their position, shooting guard and small forward. They have guys who can do the dirty work and most importantly a very good bench. Maybe the best in the league.

Come playoff time the Sonics should be a top 3 seed If they can keep up their current form, which I expect them to do so, what teams in the lower part of the western conference can beat them? really after the Spurs, Suns, Wolves and Kings the quailty from top to middle of the pack isn't the same. The Sonics should be able to get to the 2nd round and I could certainly seem them beating anyone but the Spurs or Wolves in the playoffs. Minny may be struggling now but they still have a quailty team with the reigning league MVP. Like the Pistons It won't take them long to get their act togeather.

5. Roland Hood

Roland Hood JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AllNet:</div><div class="quote_post">
    Vladimir Radmanovic is your typical euro jump shooter who provides instant offense off the bench</div>

Actually he's really improved his game to the point where he's more than just a catch and shoot guy - he can actually take a hard dribble now and pull up, or go all the way to the hole.

Plus his defense has really improved - last year he seemed to play D straight up, this year he's in the chair - and his rebounding and passing are a lot better, too.

I actually think he's turning into one of the best all around Euro players in the league.