Why Portland Trail Blazers Are Going Nowhere in the 2014 Playoffs

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, Apr 15, 2014.

1. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    The article has analysis and video illustrations of some points it makes. Read it and ignore the sensationalist title, which is there to get attention.

2. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

There are just too many unknowns to really predict.

How will Dame respond to the playoffs (go beast mode or get overwhelmed)?
    Will Robinson be the X-factor? He's improved coming off the bench with his energy.
    Can LMA turn the knob to 11 and do even more?

3. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

After 82 games, Houston and Portland end with almost identical records. Not sure how that makes it that the Blazers have no business winning this series.

I would say Blazers are going to shock the world, but a 5 seed beating a 4 seed (especially when their records are so close) is really not going to be a shock to a whole lot of people.

If Aldrdige is healthy, Lillard plays like an all star and Batum doesn't forget to show up a few times, Houston has no business winning this series. :D

4. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    Considering Houston had to go to OT to beat Portland in game 4 of the series (in Houston) and it took 41 from Flopper McGee, I'm not as worried as some are.

I doubt Portland wins the series, but it's not as clear cut as the 3-1 series implies. Think Houston would beat the Spurs in the playoffs? They won 3-1 against them too.

5. Hobbesarable

Hobbesarable Cartoon Character

The Rockets won 3 games to our 1 during the regular season.

Average score for the 4 games:
    Rockets 116
    Blazers 109.5

We should definitely expect a high scoring playoff series!

6. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

By letting him shoot open 18-footers and trusting he won't wildly outperform his career average shooting percentage?

7. Stevenson

Stevenson Old School

Writer
    Disagree – it seems to me that our best chance is to use our best defensive players – Wes and Nico – and smother Harden. Let Dwight get his; he will anyway against our bigs. But if we could stop Harden, we have a puncher's chance.

8. bsped

bsped Member

One of those wins by the Rockets were based off of having an extra 6 seconds in regular time in favor to Houston. Harden and Howard are both statistical anomalies when it comes to how many free throws they shoot per field goals taken. Howard has a reason behind it (having a bad FT% at 55%), but Harden does not (87%). Seriously, you can look at all the other shooting guards in the NBA this season and see where they take their shots from (thanks to basketball-reference.com) and mathematically show (through regression) how Harden's FTA/FGA ratio is your textbook example of an outlier in the world of statistics. Durant doesn't look so great either by the way.

I see this series having a lot of fouls called against the Blazers. Hopefully Stotts expands his rotation to throw some bodies on these two to collect fouls and keep the starters out of foul trouble.

9. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

No one on our bench can guard harden. Would be thrill on him and his d is alright, but not good enough to stop harden. Harden is going to end up playing 44 minutes per game.

10. bsped

bsped Member

We don't need to stop Harden (because you can't stop a player from getting flop calls), just the other Rockets from scoring. We just need to have someone from the bench to absorb all the "foul" calls against Harden so our starters can play more.

11. Hobbesarable

Hobbesarable Cartoon Character

Speaking of fouls.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/fouls/sort/avgFouls

Howard and Beverley are high on the PFPG list and collected several technical fouls.

12. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

I think Stevenson is right though. Lock down harden and let Dwight get his. Dwight won't be able to play the 40+ minutes per game that harden can.

13. ebott

ebott Active Member

This Houston Rockets team is a poor man's Shaq/Kobe Lakers. Maybe they're not so great in the regular season but they're so thoroughly built for the playoffs. The grind it up, drag it out physical style that would get you fouled out in the regular season is gonna be the Rockets' bread and butter. The minor favoritism towards "superstar" players becomes a way of life in the playoffs.

Luckily for us it's not like the refs just flip a switch when the playoffs start. It's a bit of a gradual change. As the playoffs progress the refs allow more physical play. It might not be so bad in the first round.

14. OneLifeToLive

OneLifeToLive Well-Known Member

I still think the Blazers have shown another dimension. If we see this, there will be a lot of knowitalls scratching their heads.

One thing that is encouraging, as Jason Quick alluded to, LA seems prepared to be that MVP again. If he is ready to flip the switch that direction. I think it's very possible this team can push teams and series.

15. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

I have a hard time considering any team that utilizes flopping as much as the rockets do a "grind it out" "physical" or "hard" team.

16. bodyman5000 and 1

bodyman5000 and 1 Lions, Tigers, Me, Bears

This is going to be really simple to figure out in the first game. Win or lose doesn't matter as much as how the game goes. Does the team look totally lost and timid or does Lillard take the step I think he might and lead this team.

If they give Houston freebies on turnovers or LMA launching 20 footers all game we all might as well watch something else.

This is about a team imposing its will on the other team. Damian is the only player on Portland I have faith in.

17. RoxFan

RoxFan Member

Actually we went 4-0 against the Spurs :P but i agree with you i don't see us beating the Spurs in the playoffs.

18. riverman

riverman Writing Team

To beat these guys you have to play decent defense, protect the ball and shoot really well. To do that in a 7 game series is a challenge. I think our recent momentum bodes well for our chances and we are an above average road team

19. riverman

riverman Writing Team

People say Pop rested his starters a lot this season but the fact is, as talented as they are, they are still old as dirt. Ginobli looked terrible in the playoffs last season more often than not. The Spurs are a great team with a great system and coach but they are beatable

20. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    Houston in 5. I change my mind. I may change it too four. Sorry.