Why S2 and forums make it hard to be a fan

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by cmeese47, Mar 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmeese47

cmeese47 Well-Known Member

Wesley was shooting out of his mind so his % was destined to fall. Batum's shooting is improving as he heals. Lillard bounced back in February shooting .386 from deep again. However, I think the biggest thing is Portland does not surprise people anymore. Defenses have figured us out some and the wide open threes are not there like they were in November and December.

Lopez is capable of making a mid range jumper so moving him to high post while LA works the block would keep the spacing. Furthermore, if LA has to stand 20 feet from the hoop for spacing then let him so do but he does not need to shoot 21 times a night, especially if he is not making shots.

2. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    20-24: 42.5%
    15-19: 42.4%
    10-14: 40.5%
    5-9: 31.6%
    0-4: 63.9%

So, looking at the above stats, how do you come to the conclusion that moving LA closer to the basket is a good thing? With the exception of shots in the 0-4' range, his shooting percentage falls as he moves closer to the basket. And that doesn't even factor in the increased number of times that he's stripped by those pesky defenders that swarm him when he gets close to the basket. Guys like you keep wanting to try to turn LA into ZBo without recognition of the fact that he's not very good at playing in traffic. When LA was shooting 46% from mid-range, the Blazers were killing the competition. Teams had to pick their poison and either let him rack up 35 a night, or try to slow him down and have the guys on the perimeter sink them with 3-pointers. When LA went into a slump, teams began playing him straight up and stayed home on 3-point shooters. It has nothing to do with surprise, rather it's a fact that one of the key elements of Stotts' offense isn't working the way it should.

That said, this isn't an either-or situation. LA has done more in backing his man down this season than in the past. I'm sure he's going to keep improving in that area.

3. cmeese47

What your not calculating is his odds of getting FT's as he moves closer to the hoop. When LA switches over to the center position his EFG% drops as you indicate with the numbers however his FTA nearly double going from 5.4 per 48 to 10.5 per 48, at near 82% from the line that is easy points right there. In addition to the free throws as a defender picks up more fouls they either sit the bench or become a little more tentative.

4. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

LMA is in an extended slump and other players are regressing to their norm. We can all agree on the problem - but what is the solution? Do you just keep on keeping on, or do you try something different? (eg having LMA spend more time in the post) Do you stick with what worked earlier in the season, or do you make adjustments?

5. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    More defense is the answer, IMO. They're 25th in opponents' PPG. If they were 15th, these close games wouldn't be close.

6. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    That's the 800-pound gorilla.
    That's the bull in the china shop.
    That's the elephant in the swimming pool.

You finally found a new direction to take the argument. Ding ding ding!!
    That's the winner on the Gong Show.

7. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    Some of us are more interested in the truth than simple debate, but you keep filling that Ox Box with your half-truths.

And while I disagree with your contention that forums make it hard to be a fan, this thread certainly could be used as one of those cherry-picked facts you're so fond of spewing to support your thesis.

8. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    You know, what's fun about looking at individual stats is that it completely discounts how LA's positioning and the way he has to be guarded affects the rest of the team. Bottom line, he plays in down in the post instead of at the elbow, it makes life much easier for the defense.

9. rasheedfan2005

rasheedfan2005 Well-Known Member

My best friend is an aspie. He rips the tags out of his shirts so I like to stick receipts Down his back, it drives him nuts. Great guy though.

10. rasheedfan2005

This, I said at beginning of year if we could stay number 1 offense and get defense up to middle of the pack we would dominate. This is just a testament to how atrocious our d really is.

11. cmeese47

I suggested LA adds a 3 point shot this summer and work on improving his post game which he will need for sustained playoff success. Unfortunately, without practice time you have to stick with the plan this season and make sure things get worked on in the summer so that next year the team can take another step.

12. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    Who would follow Papa G?

13. rasheedfan2005

Papa H?

julius likes this.
  14. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    You made 8 posts since then to this thread. The long goodbye? Or did your car break. Need a ride?

15. cmeese47

Your missing the whole point of a debate I post numbers to favor my argument you post numbers to favor your argument and somewhere in the middle the truth and a solution lies. LA takes more shots in the post his FTA per shot increase. He tends to do that more as a C than a PF. As a C he is more efficient, I just wish 82games had stats that showed how well the team plays with LA by position.

Personally I tend to think they play better with him in the post and someone else on the perimeter.

16. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

"Technically" he didn't say you had Asperger's. But even if he had I'm not so sure it would be an insult.

These people either have or been suspected to have Asperger's:

Daryl Hannah, Abraham Lincoln, Alan Turing, Albert Einstein, Bela Bartok, Nikola Tesla, Hans Asperger, Robin Williams.

And since you've made grammar and spelling an issue in the forum it should be "... you're better than this..."

17. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I think the real Denny Crane had the best comeback for his own mistakes, "It's the mad cow kicking in"!

18. riverman

riverman Writing Team

So meese, here's a question for you. After all this debate is it still hard to be a fan on the forum?

19. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

LOL!

20. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    Mad Cow is my excuse. What's jlprk's?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.