Wiggins for Love or Aldridge?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by cmeese47, Jul 18, 2014.

1. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

We don't have any idea if Love would be "ready for playoff basketball"--he's never seen it. :ghoti:

2. cmeese47

cmeese47 Well-Known Member

Or if they made the smart pick and took Wade or Bosh they could have won more as well.

3. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

This part is true. If Lebron is asking for Love, then give him the love. But if he doesn't care, go with Wiggins.

4. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Who knows if they'll be saying about Cleveland "if they'd made the smart pick and took Embiid or Exum"... in a couple of years.

5. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    It's all about the Franklins.

6. cmeese47

Question is does the price for Love go up or down at the trade deadline? If they can get Love for cheaper or the same price it would certainly be worth it to see how much progress a guy like Wiggins can make during the first half of the season with regular playing time and Lebron to learn from.

7. cmeese47

That is certainly possible although I must admit I would be shocked to see Wiggins turn into a bust. I still think he will be very good even if Exum, Parker or Embiid end up better, which is a lot different then Darko who was garbage the whole time.

8. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    If Love were willing to sign a contract extension as a pre-condition to the trade, I'd move Wiggins for Love. Love is only 25 himself and monstrously productive offensively. His defense would be lacking, certainly, but he would mesh perfectly with James and Irving on offense. If the team can put solid defenders at center and shooting guard, to go with James' great defense, I wouldn't be hugely concerned about Love's defense.

Love will be in his prime for as long as James is and would open the contention window immediately, not wasting a moment of James' prime. I like Wiggins a lot, but I don't consider him a James/Durant type prospect and I don't think he'll be a top-flight player, or even a top defender, from day 1.

I can understand holding onto Wiggins...I don't consider this a no-brainer decision either to make the deal or not to, but I'd personally make the move.

9. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

I'd very likely move Wiggins for love. I think part of the problem is getting salaries to match, and who Cleveland has to add in on top of that

10. cmeese47

That would be my issue the Cavs have some pretty good depth but including in 2 or 3 pieces plus Wiggins really hurts that. At least in any deal with Portland they could throw in future picks to try and buy someone like Matthews to pair with LA in the deal, not much talent in Minnesota the can do that with unless they can somehow get Pekovic and then you make that deal in a heartbeat.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  11. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Those offensive numbers will not be so monstrous along side Kyrie and LeBron. He will still be a good rebounder and passer though. But still I think they can find someone else to rebound and play better D for less money.

12. PtldPlatypus

They should just make it a 3-way deal where Love goes to GS and Thompson goes to Cleveland. This way Cleveland gets a third scorer with playoff experience, maybe can get another asset too, and not have to sacrifice depth.

13. PtldPlatypus

What's funny is that I remember Minstrel being the one who brought that same notion up 4 years ago before the formation of the big three.

14. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Portland should trade LMA for Lebron, Wiggins and Thompson. Maybe throw in Wes and Batum.

15. donkiez

donkiez Well-Known Member

I didnt think it was possible for Cleveland to screw up this draft pick again after Embiid went down, but it looks to me like they are finding a way to do it again. I seriously dont get how Love was considered worth a 5-8 pick before the draft now he is worth the #1 pick plus other assets? Love does not put them over the top this year and if it crumbles LBJ opts out next year. To more specifically address this thread, LA wants to be the greatest Blazer of all time Im happy to give him that chance given his last few years of production, If Minny gets Wiggins for Love they've got to be hysterically happy. Really though I woundnt doubt if this was smoke screen by Minny to get others to improve their offers.

16. cmeese47

Here is an interesting deal.

Love and Pekovic to Cleveland
    Wiggins, Waiters, Bennett and Varejo to Minnesota plus picks if needed.

The Cavs would need a couple of shooters but they would have a stacked front court with Pekovic, Haywood, Love and Thompson.

Plus they could swing Thompson for a shooter if needed as well.

17. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Why is that interesting?

18. Minstrel

User Interface Designer
    When I refer to "monstrous offensive production," I mean high efficiency despite using a lot of possessions (efficiency is harder to maintain the more shots you take, since you can't just take the easier ones). While his raw numbers would obviously go down with more talented teammates, his efficiency would still make him a fantastic offensive player and he's proven capable of carrying an offense, which would be useful at times James is sitting.

19. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I'm not really sure why people think trading Wiggins would be mortgaging the future. Love is only 25. The biggest issue I would have if I were Cleveland is how much I would have to send out to make the deal work.

20. Minstrel

User Interface Designer
    Anderson Varejao might have to go in the deal, too, to make salaries work. Varejao would be a nice role-player to retain, but he's declining so his addition wouldn't sour me on the deal from Cleveland's point of view.