Will Dale Davis compete for the Starting role?

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Rudeezy, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

Dale Davis was quoted in an article saying that he was glad to come to Golden State where he could compete for the starting role at Center.

Do you think he has a chance at it or is it all talk? Would you want Davis to start if he outplays Foyle in the preseason or does Foyle deserve this role?

2. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

I think everyone on the team has to put their ego aside and just play. If you play well you earn your minutes and if you continue to play well consistently, you should be a starter. Starter's set the tone in a game. That's why I wanted Dunleavy out and Cardinal in.

3. Custodianrules2

Can you imagine these matchups out on the floor? It could be quite creative.

(Here's one for the running game. Biedrens could be one of those centers that is uncanny in that he can run the break and same with Foyle. Plus we got some decent transition defense if the team can communicate when they get back on D)

C: Biedrens
    PF: Foyle
    SF: Richardson
    SG: Pietrus
    PG: Claxton

(low post offense. Here's one where you could run post up plays using Robinson/Murphy as a high post center and run plays for Dunleavy in the low post or a cutting Richardson or Pietrus. Since we don't really have any bruisers in the paint yet, we could try out Murphy at the PF spot and Andris Biedrens at C and give the ball to Murphy to use on weaker power forwards)
    C: Murphy
    PF: Robinson
    SF: Richardson
    SG: Pietrus
    PG: Dunleavy

(here's one that relies on perimeter shooters with Claxton setting his team up)

C: Murphy
    PF: Cliff Robinson
    SF: Pietrus
    sg: Fisher
    pg: Claxton

4. Rudeezy

I think this is their best lineup:

pg: Claxton
    sg: J-Rich
    sf: Dunleavy
    pf: Murphy
    c: Foyle

Defensive team

pg: claxton
    sg: pietrus
    sf: robinson
    pf: foyle
    c : bierdrins/davis

5. Custodianrules2

I'm still not sold on Dunleavy being able to play Small Forward in the NBA. He does his best when beating up on guys 9 inches shorter than him. He might do decently as a power forward though if he bulks up. All I know is, I just want to see this guy blow up and become the next Larry Bird like scouts were saying he'd be. Maybe it was his agent that said that though. [​IMG]

6. Rudeezy

Why don't you see him being a SF in this L? I think he has all the assets and is coming along just fine as a SF. He has great courtvision, great shot, he can get to the rim. I also think we will see an improvement on defense this year as well.

He would get eaten alive playing the PF in the West.

7. Custodianrules2

He's just not able to take a man off the dribble or defend a majority of the highly athletic scorers in the league. Plus, you want your perimeter guys to be dangerous from the triple threat position. Dunleavy can't blow by defenders when he drives, he can't get a good consistent shot over defenders (6'7/6'8 guys), but he can sure pass well. So he's got like one threat going on from that position. To me it's either have Dunleavy play point guard on the mismatch and have pietrus guard the point guard or have Dunleavy play power forward where he can be a high post distributor or a scorer when left open. I just think that Dunleavy has to be more than a passer, streaky shooter because he sure won't win defensive player of the year. It'd be like if Nowitzki couldn't score on a consistent basis. What good is he? He sure doesn't play a whole lot of D. "The walking mismatch" called Dunleavy has to be used on offense because he sure doesn't match up well on defense. Also I question his work ethic and effort. Is he even playing in any summer leagues? What is this guy doing to make himself better and keep in shape?

8. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

Back on topic, yes, I think he will compete for a position. I think the best players should play. If DD earns the starting role for C, then we surely overpaid him.

9. cmb628

cmb628 JBB JustBBall Member

This point has been made before but it needs to resurface. Let's not forget that last year was basically Dunleavy's rookie year. He did not get many minutes at all his first year and I think he did fine last year considering he was forced into a starting role with minimal experience. Let's give him another year and see what happens.

10. Casske

Casske JBB JustBBall Member

Davis, even if he outplays Foyle, should not be the starter. Here's the thing... Foyle is 28, I believe. Davis is 35. Foyle is right at his prime age. Davis is too old for starter's minutes. Davis won't have a big stat sheet, but his number's in less minutes will be impact numbers.

11. kobeonfire

kobeonfire JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rudeezy:</div><div class="quote_post">
    Defensive team

pg: claxton
    sg: pietrus
    sf: robinson
    pf: foyle
    c : bierdrins/davis</div>

I think Fisher is a better defender than Claxton. While he does have a tendency to flop a lot, refs call it and he has a big impact on games with his defense.

12. Mister Jennings

Mister Jennings JBB JustBBall Member

I don't think DD will start, he, like Fisher will get starter-like minutes, but he can't set the tone defensively enough to warrant a start, we need the shot-blocker down there. and I agree with Dunleavy give the guy some time, at Duke he improved every year, when he got to his junior year he blew up. This is his junior year...

13. Rudeezy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting kobeonfire:</div><div class="quote_post">I think Fisher is a better defender than Claxton. While he does have a tendency to flop a lot, refs call it and he has a big impact on games with his defense.</div>
    I would disagree with this. I'll start a new thread where we can discuss this further.

14. SanQuinn

SanQuinn JBB Banned Member

Originally Posted by kobeonfire
    I think Fisher is a better defender than Claxton. While he does have a tendency to flop a lot, refs call it and he has a big impact on games with his defense

I can tell that you are a Lakers fan by this comment.

15. Custodianrules2

The whole defensive game doesn't just include being able to draw a charge, it's being able to contest shots, posess excellent footwork, being able to read an offensive play, pressuring the ballhandler, fighting through a screen or a pick, defensive rebounding, staying in front of your man, being able to help/rotate on defense and play team defense, getting in the passing lane, stealing the ball, blocking shots and being able to defend in the post. I've seen Fisher and no way does he demonstrate most of those things I mentioned above better than Claxton does, he's just not as laterally quick so he has to play off so he doesn't get blown by. But I do think Derek Fisher is a good defender when he isn't struggling with faster guards. He's got a league leading steals per turnover ratio and he anticipates well. But physically he's doesn't have the tools to be a great defender as far as point guards go. But he's still good.

16. Rudeezy

Maybe Fisher should stay away from the weight room. He has more muscle mass than Adonal Foyle.[​IMG]

17. Custodianrules2

He's got muscles? Most of the times I see him he looks like he sat around eating nachos and big macs and then got stung by a bunch of bees and got an allergic reaction. Maybe that's just the way his body is or he really did hit the gym.

18. Rudeezy

Are you serious? The guy is ripped!

[​IMG]

19. Custodianrules2

I guess I can't argue with that pic.

Check out Tayshaun Prince's muscles

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

This team is built to compete win now. So, I don't see why Davis won't have any chance for the starting job...